Meet New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, the Brand

When people donate money to a politician, all they usually get is a letter of thanks, or maybe a chance to get their picture taken with their favorite elected official. Supporters of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie can now get something more: branded merchandise.

Striking while the iron is hot, the New Jersey Republican State Committee on Wednesday started hawking Chris Christie merchandise, ranging from a $2.95 bumper sticker to a $45.95 hooded sweatshirt, with proceeds benefiting the party. Missing from the product lineup is an action figure -- which, given Christie's go-getter personality, would seem like a natural fit. The governor, though, has plenty of fans who'll be eager to snap up stuff with his name on it

Though he has earned the nickname "governor wrecking ball" after repeatedly butting heads with Democrats and the New Jersey Education Association, Christie's approval ratings remain exceptionally high. A poll taken earlier this month by Quinnipiac University showed 51% of New Jersey voters approve of the job Christie is doing, higher than the 46% who gave President Obama the thumbs up.

A White House Run in 2016?

Christie, a former U.S. attorney, recently won kudos from fiscal conservatives for canceling a multibillion rail tunnel project between New Jersey and New York City because he said it would be too expensive. He has ruled out running for either president or vice president in 2012, but he has left the door opened for 2016.

Maybe the New Jersey GOP should broaden its merchandising horizons. The Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum and Library sells "The Spirit of Ronald Reagan," a 17-inch full-figure bronze statuette of the late president for $9,995. The first casting was on display in the Oval Office for three-and-a-half years. The Richard Nixon Foundation offers a variety of modestly priced merchandise at its museum store, including some that celebrates the meeting between Elvis Presley and the president. Even the Jimmy Carter Presidential Museum sells $75 polo shirts.

So what's next for Christie merchandise? Party officials declined to comment.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

PAULA

paula

November 19 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shirley Davidson

The "fat" man is destroying NJ and driving people out of the State. People are paying higher property and State Tax and losing police and fire protection for their money. Education is not one of his priorities and the kids are suffering because of that. Most after school programs are gone and teachers have lost their moral. Jobs are still being lost and it will get worse if Christie gets some of his sick policies bullied through a weak legislature. The man is poison for this State and that is a fact.

November 19 2010 at 2:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
boadicea5

What Christy is calling reform is the attempt oust middle class workers right out of their jobs. Teachers, toll collectors, the DRPA... who's next. YOU! This is the way you save NJ? On the backs of Middle Class hard working people? Cut wages cut pension benefits, or get rid of employees by privatizing is Christy's solution to the state money woes? Let's see if saving NJ from it's own residents who work everyday and pay taxes works for him. Oh, he'll be a hero during his term but think of the long lasting consequences to people who are raising a family, trying to put children though school and pay taxes in NJ. This has got to STOP. We all know that these workers don't make a fortune but here comes the articles making it look like they are ripping off the tax payers and going into our pockets. For what? Their pensions? For the wages they make after working 20 years at a job? Don't give Christy a green light to devastate blue collar workers. They are the backbone of our nation.

November 19 2010 at 2:39 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
cpminline

When will the "poor teacher" bs stop they work 180 days a year for at least 50k get rediculous bennys and retirement. Hey I went to collage and got a degree too, pAid my own way too. They are no better. How come when I went to school we had 32 kids in the class and no bleeding heart cried about it. This no child left behind is crap there are stupid kids-- get over it. Help them but don't hold back brainy kids. Typical american way go down to the lowest common denominator.

November 18 2010 at 10:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cpminline's comment
mjk258

And when will people like you realize teachers, don't work just 180 days a year. Do you not realize there are days the teachers are in working when there is no school for the students? Don't you realize that teachers bring work home at night and on weekends, ie. making lesson plans, grading test, and term papers? Do you realize they also have parent-teacher conferences? Or are these just an inconvenient fact that hurts your argument? Oh and BTW I am not a teacher.

November 19 2010 at 4:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lilcon73

Let's face it, those of you part of the school system and other unions in NJ are the reason this state is so corrupt and expensive to live in. Why should the private sector want to keep funding your ridiculous lifetime health and pension benefits? Why do you get to keep your inflated salaries and bonuses when the rest of us can't find work? If it's really all about the children, why do you complain about putting out your own money to pay for your own benefits?? Why does it take triple the property taxes to teach kids now only to result in the same or worse progress than 10 years ago? Why do I have to listen to state employees getting coffee at the Wawa whine about having to contribute to their health insurance when I don't even qualify for health coverage for 120 days at my new job?? Not to mention it's gonna cost me $400 a month for practically nothing. If every private business and employee left this state, who would pay your stupid benefits then??? You wouldn't get a dime!!! Get off your high horse and start earning your money!!! You answer to us...the tax payers that pay your way!!!

November 18 2010 at 10:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to lilcon73's comment
mrvalidadi

lilcon73, your ignorance is frightening. i am so sick of hearing uninformed fools like you telling me that i am the reason that the state is in such trouble. you clearly know nothing of the subject, but i do support your right to ignorant speech. i had to work more than 10 years to reach a salary of $50,000, and for that "high" salary i get to hear people like you tell me all the problems i cause. i pay into my pension, the state doesn't. do yuo seriously believe that after 25 years of paying into that pension that i am really going to become a millionaire in my retirement? it's my money. the money i paid into the system. are you willing to give up your social security benefits if you've paid for them? i teach your children to think, i teach them to read, i teach them to be productive human beings. i have 900 students who i am expected to love, discipline, focus, support, encourage, inform, and nurture. and when school closes in june, my salary stops. i don't get paid when i don't work. why does that threaten you so much? when was the last time you asked a doctor or lawyer to justify his or her salary? they make a helluva lot more than i ever will, and i don't ask you to make an appointment a month in advance if you need to speak to me. would you tell your doctor how to practice medicine? would you tell your lawyer how to practice law? just because you might have gone to school does not mean that you know how to teach in school. why do people like you think it's okay for you to tell me how to do my job and how poorly i do my job, and that i am not worth what little i get paid to do my job, but if your kid ever has a problem, it's my fault? you have no clue what teachers really do, but you certainly have no reluctance to tell us how poorly we do it. shame on you. See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/bQF9o2

November 18 2010 at 10:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
lilcon73

Mrvalidadi, You call me uninformed but what company (other than unionized) give pensions anymore? They are unfundable, there's no way companies can support this kind of benefit anymore. I doubt you are paying 100% into your pension the way I did into my 401K. My retirement is my responsibility, not everyone else's. Do you realize that you also get social security on top of that pension? I don't. Yes, I paid into the SSI system, but the reality it gov't programs are corrupt and flawed and I understand the reality of losing it someday. It's an unsustainable program. Do you also realize that the gov't and other head officals use teachers, fire dept, etc as a weapon in politics? They always threaten to take away your salaries and how the people will suffer. Aren't you tired of being used?? Go after these big wig overpaid superintendants!!! I pay $5600 a year in property taxes to literally have the border of Camden in my backyard. For what????? 60% of it goes to the schools??? For what??? Why can't they teach the kids on half that like they did when I moved here? Because everyone wants raises? Well let me tell you, because of this economy I had to take a 10K paycut and I'm still bullied to pay these stupid taxes on less. I have to sacrifice in my life to pay your way. I've worked 11 years in my business and I'm making less than $40K a year now. I'm not even able to take a paid vacation for a whole year!! I'm not getting paid holidays or sick days this year because I'm not eligible yet. How would you like that after 11 years in the business. How would you like that?? If they're taking program away from the kids it's because many don't want to give up some of their cushy benefits. Those are the ones you want to blame!

November 19 2010 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mhwyman7

Scab!

November 18 2010 at 8:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
geosonj

Christie doesnt care about the $400,000,000 after all it would go to public schools, everyone know Repubs dont like public school systems cause the poor and middle class go there, and eeewwww they wouldn't want to be seen in such crowds

November 18 2010 at 6:59 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to geosonj's comment
mrvalidadi

It's interesting that when there are so many people commenting on the need to put an end to bullying, we have a governor who is a classic example of one. When he doesn't get his way he stomps, threatens, pouts, and intimidates. He has wasted huge amounts of money traveling around the country for his party, and he has lost millions of dollars in federal funds for education and transportation, but what has he actually done for the people of New Jersey? Nothing. Is your life any better, are your taxes lower, are your services and quality of life improving? And don't blame the state legislators - he hasn't tried to work with them, he's simply tried to push them around as he does to everyone else he has decided is in his way. He gets positive response from limited thinkers because he says what they believe, but he hasn't actually done anything positive for us. When he actual comes up with ideas and does make our lives better, then he deserves to be acknowledged, but until that happens, he doesn't merit such baseless support. He, like many of his supporters, needs to stop blaming easy targets who have actually done nothing to deserve his scorn, and start showing that he actually has some ideas to improve our lives. It hasn't happened so far. What is he waiting for? As far as I'm concerned, he's a disgrace.

November 18 2010 at 6:56 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrvalidadi's comment
hush222

Hi, i am or maybe was a republican for a long time. I'm beginning to have doubts. you seem to be the most rational person here, all this talk about Christie honestly he seems to be the bully in the room,always doing his thing and not what the people want.Also he doesn't care about sick people either with his obstruction of medical marijuana.And you're right i haven't seen any improvement either.Where peoples heads are i can only guess! have a good day, Mark m.

November 19 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Terri

Chris Christie is like a breath of fresh air. He is doing exactly what he promised in his campaign. Extremely unusual for a politician. Thank God, New Jersey has him because we desperately need him!

November 18 2010 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Best govenor this state has had since Kean. I'm an independent so that's a completely unbiased opinion. Finally, someone not afraid to take on wasteful government. I'm Joe middle class, and yes, times are tough, there are things I disagree with, but overall, I'm 100% behind our governor.

November 18 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply