GMGeneral Motors will phase out its Goodwrench maintenance brand in the United States as it seeks to focus marketing efforts on four key brands.

Goodwrench, used by GM dealers to advertise maintenance and repairs for more than 30 years, will be replaced with brand-specific labels such as Chevrolet Certified Service and Buick Certified Service, The Detroit News said.

"Our No. 1 priority is providing a world-class ownership experience that creates positive long-lasting relationships with our customers," said Steve Hill, GM's vice president for customer care and after sales.

Goodwrench will officially die on Feb. 1 of next year.

Goodwrench was created in the mid-1970s to promote GM's parts and service dealerships. The brand was a major sponsor of NASCAR racing.

Introduction to Value Investing

Are you the next Warren Buffett?

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

ldmerriam

This is one of many steps in reorganizing the company's "brand architecture" : http://bit.ly/fxZpnx

November 23 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jejmjr67

I guess Mr. Goodwrench was too Blue Collar for GM's target market or maybe he wasn't in the union and Obama pressured GM to get rid him.

November 10 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
elkhuntermantz

What's next...Government owned Wrench, with a picture of Obama with a spanner in his hand? Or, how about a take-off of a past Ford commercial: " General Motors...Quality is SCREW JOB I"

November 10 2010 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Spaziani

Big corp. don't realy need the US anymore thay can go anywere and make money ( we our out of money ) who needs us. So the big 3 joke just don't care anymore. GM is building cars for over seas nicer than the ones here. They are putting there money in other car corps. Steel many years ago did same thing money over seas. Need to just stop buying and see who needs who.. Poor people in Mex. and other places don't make much money for there work we did. Send all work poor places sell it back to us high price ..How is that working out.... No jobs no money no Mr. Badwrench.. Now what?????

November 10 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I don't like the change... I always thought Goodwrench and Mr. Goodwrench just did the trick 100%. If they have to change it I guess they must, I would not fix what was not broke, but I guess thats why they make the big bucks.....I wonder if these are the same people who decided to get rid of Oldsmobile, and Pontiac?????

November 10 2010 at 12:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Sounds like there may be some legal undertones to this decision, maybe even to get out of servicing the lost brands that still are out there requiring services.... Olds, Pontiacs, Saturns, Hummers.....? I have been a GM lover for more years than I care to mention, but it's getting really difficult to trust many things that I believed would never happen ...... Maybe there is an Auto Health Clause burried deep within the new HealthCare bill that covers the unclaimed lost brands at the tax payers expense? God help us all!

November 10 2010 at 11:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Koz

I won't be buy a GM anything in the near future. The got rid of my brand(Pontiac ) Chevys have no style cause everyone could own one and Caddys are just to ugly for me at the price. Here I come Ford.

November 10 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hdgoose

The problem with GM is/was they used bait and switch techniques to dupe their customers; and thought that people wouldnt notice. Well they wre wrong. People did notice when they shut down Saturn plants; stopped making innovative cars that made them famous; then put cheap crappy Opels made in Europe with a Saturn tag on them; and hoped people wouldnt notice. What kind of company would do something so devious like that? Oh wait; that was GM.

November 10 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evthedodgeman

My ex wive has had to Toyota's Camery's both had broken down on her and left her on the side of the highway,cost over $1000.00 each time to repair,but she is braind dead like most who drive imports, they call it requred maintance, I have a 1998 Durango with a 120000, miles on it never broken down on me still running. She like's the way the guys at Totota Service Dept treat her,as they pat her on the back and reach into her purse to steal her cash.I wish she would stop calling me everytime her peach of junk Quits, now the struts are bad, they may run for ever but the cost to get there, just dont make sence.

November 10 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ataylormark

No big deal, the company is a failure anyway. They are the prime reason people are buying foreign cars. Total mismanagement by a bunch of incompetent morons.

November 10 2010 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ataylormark's comment
davidpaulkre1

I AM WITH YOU. I JUST BOUGHT A HONDA BECAUSE OF POOR SERVICE AND HAVE HIRED A LAWYER TO GET THEM FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP.

November 10 2010 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
woodspjr

Oh I know, and Gm has lot their identity over the years. They scewed up Olds and Pontiac, and any familliar name or brand status we all came to like in the past. They once dominated the market and had a strong parts division, but for some reason they want us all to forget the good ole days!

November 10 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply