UPS to Raise Rates by 4.9% in 2011

UPSUPS (UPS), the world's largest package delivery company said Monday that it will raise rates by 4.9% for UPS ground packages in 2011.

The company will also raise rates by 4.9% for all air express and U.S. origin international shipments, the company said in a statement.

The new rates will take effect on Jan. 3, 2011.

The rate for ground shipments is based on a 5.9% increase in the base rate, with a 1% reduction to the index-based ground fuel surcharge. The rate for air express and international shipments is based on a 6.9% increase in the base rate, minus a 2% reduction to the index-based air and international fuel surcharge.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

grdrexler

anybody wanna start their own comapny because of bad service,?????????? I used UPS to ship a package overseas and the local rep came to my business and walked me through it, I know 1 example is not proof of good customer service, but dont expect the moon when you deal with people in general,////some times when you over expect something you get mad when it does'st go your way

November 07 2010 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CAPITOL CLOTHING

FUEL GOES UP, THEY RAISE THE FUEL CHARGE. FUEL GOES DOWN THEY RAISE THE DIMENSIONAL SIZE CHARGES. GREEEEEEEEEEDY !!!!

November 07 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CAPITOL CLOTHING

WHEN FED EX AND UPS MERGE, THE NEW COMPANY WILL BE CALLED: FED-UP.

November 07 2010 at 10:32 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
CAPITOL CLOTHING

FROM A SCALE OF 1-10, WE RATE UPS A "4" AND THATS BEING NICE.

November 07 2010 at 10:30 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
CAPITOL CLOTHING

UPS EVERY YEAR RAISES THEIR RATES 5% EVERY YEAR. WE USE FED EX AND UPS WHEN OUR CUSTOMER REQUEST IT. WE HAD UPS AND WERE VERY UNHAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE. WE HAVE CALLED THEM FOR URGENT PICK-UP AT ABOUT 5:oo AND THEY'LL TELL YOU THEY'LL COME AND ABOUT 6:30 THEY'LL CALL SAYING "SORRY BUT WE CAN'T GET A DRIVER THERE" . I DO'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEN THEY ACCEPT THE COMMITMENT OF PICKING UP IN THE LATE AFTERNOON! ANYWAY I'LL CONTINUE TO USE FED EX WHO OFFER MUCH BETTER SERVICE. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND UPS TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!

November 07 2010 at 10:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
its4yourparty

Why not report the full story? They are also lowering the size of the dimensions of the cartons which make a smaller carton not fall under "the dimensional weight category" thus further increasing the cost of the shipment, thus further increasing the cost of "most" shipments, thus taking an even "HIGHER" rate increase than published. Typical UPS way of smoke and mirrors pricing.

November 07 2010 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Janice

Oh and wanted to add take a drive into any UPS building parking lot and look at the cars the drivers come to work in and then look at the manager's cars and guys higher in the company. We can also compare houses. You will see where the raised rates really go

November 03 2010 at 7:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
csmjwoody

Let them go ahead. I learned years ago the United States Post Office gives more reliable service at a far cheaper rate. Next day delivery is guaranteed by noon or it is FREE. I have never been able to collect on the Free no matter what I sent. I've checked and the latest I have ever had a package delivered the next day was 9:26 AM. The Majority were there before 08:30 AM at the destination time. I'm not trying to do a commercial for the Post Office but I do appreciate their effort. So if UPS or FED-EX want to raise rates they can go ahead. They don't get my business anyway. and haven't for over 20 years now.

November 02 2010 at 10:18 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to csmjwoody's comment
flatglass

I agree completely.

November 07 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmenuis

Raise UPS rate all they wish. I found long ago FEDEX is cheaper, better and faster.

November 02 2010 at 8:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jmenuis's comment
CAPITOL CLOTHING

A LITTLE CHEAPER BUT MUCH BETTER. UPS HAS H O R R I B L E CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

November 07 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Raising rates is reasonable and customary. The one area they drastically need to improve is one of their main shipping hubs in Hodgkins, IL they are very slow in logging arrivals and departures of packages and are a deterrant to the tracking process for individuals.

November 02 2010 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply