PontiacAfter 84 years, the Pontiac brand is dead.

In its lifetime, it produced iconic muscle cars like the GTO and starred in movies such as Smokey and the Bandit. In the final stages of its existence, the brand suffered from a lack of customer interest and its position within a troubled General Motors.

"They were C.P.R.-ing a corpse for a long time," Larry Kummer, who has owned more than two dozen Pontiacs and runs the Web sitePontiacRegistry.com, told The New York Times.

GM advertised the car for "driving excitement." It was sportier than a Chevrolet but not as fancy as an Oldsmobile or Buick. The cars were recognizable for their split grille and red arrowhead emblem in the middle.

"When the muscle-car era was in its heyday, Pontiac was king," Frederick Perrine, a dealer in Cranbury, N.J., told the Times. "It put us through school. We were the house on the block that had the swimming pool growing up."

Still, for the younger generation, the Pontiac was a fusty relic, or worse the brand associated with much reviled Aztek small SUV.

By early 2009, Pontiac had fallen to 12th position in the U.S. market sales, from No. 3 in the 1960s. "They had a lot of glory years, but from the '70s on, Pontiac just couldn't meet the bar," Mr. Kummer told the Times. "It was always living in the past."

Investing in Emerging Markets

Learn to invest in a globalized world.

Small Cap Investing

Learn now to invest in small companies the right way.

hmattfrmchatt

I had a trans am. A 1985 model. LOVEd that car. Still do. These people who think these hondas and toyotas are sports cars are NUTS! Ill take my pontiac anyday over that crap. Im so saddened to see the name plate die. Trans Ams will live on forever as will the Pontiac name!

November 03 2010 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garcoininc

we owned 2 pontiac minivans a 1991 and currently a 2003. The first one was excellent but had some shortcomings. rear trunk latch and hood latch tended to break. this was all fixed by 2003. This van was totally perfected, then discontinued?? much better than Chrysler minivans. We don't get it.

November 02 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
legalcld

BIG mistake for GM to get rid of Pontiac and keep Buick! Just when I was ready to buy a G8, they get rid of the brand!! Typical!

November 02 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
xxweekeep24xx

HaHa. Anyone that says "Go Toyota" must be a real nerdy tastless dork. I will take my GMs any day over jap garbage. I have owned a 1998 Bonniville, 2002 Bonniville and a 05 Grand Prix. All great cars never gave me any trouble. Not to mention all my Caddy's which are all troblefree too,, Its really something how people can talk garbage about something they never even owned or sat in.

November 01 2010 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

there are MANY pontiacs on the road still see them everywhere. apparently not a bad car. Disappointed in the demise of pontiac. The decison to do away with Pontiac sucks for lack of better expression. GM should have eliminated Saturn. G8 2009 I just looked at other day didnt even have power seats? Who was designing the car? My 2001 Grand Am had power seats. Who would make such a dumb decision? That is going backward. No wonder sales were down on these newer cars. Who is going to pay that much money for a car that doesnt even have power seats? And why does steering wheel have to go in and out? What was wrong with tilt wheel? Child of a GM dealer. Have never owned anything but Olds and Pontiac. Pontiac should be rekindled having people with common sense design their cars.

November 01 2010 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to donna's comment
OSHP367

Donna, GM did eliminate Saturn....quite some time ago. Read the news. The reason Pontiac had to go was that GM tried to pretend they had lots of cars to choose from, but actually they just made a Pontiac, Chevy, and Olds version of the few cars they offered. Remember the Olds Sillouette, Pontiac Transport, and Chevy Lumina van? The same vehicle with some different badges and doodads. That meant the three Divisions were competing against one another and Pontiac lost. They really only had one or two vehicles that were "Pontiacs". They rest were GM clones.

November 02 2010 at 9:09 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
hmattfrmchatt

I hate to see Pontiac go but also Saturn. Saturns we re terrible cars when they started out but in the last 5 years or so Gm got it right with Saturn. I would own a loaded Vue in a heartbeat. Buick is the ultimate luxery car without caddy prices. I love GM and always will. The makes suffered sadly. Gm is a great company. We have owned MANY and always will. We have a 2010 Ford F150, while its a nic truck it just doesnt measure up to a GMC or chevy truck. We will trade it in a few years for a GMC loaded Denali! Feel bad cheating on GM:( NEVER again!

November 03 2010 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jlsntx

I agree with one of the earlier posts, sometimes you get a lemon no matter the make. I've had German, Japanese, and American made and the ones I drive now with an American nameplate were probably made in either Mexico or Canada. The only one I knew with absolute certainty was made in the US (with parts from all over the world) was my '96 GMC Sonoma. That one was made about 65 miles from where I sit. Of course THAT factory, which also made the H2 is closing in a few months. It seems funny those trucks seem to be everywhere, but GM says they don't sell well. My Sonoma had 165,000 miles on it when I sold it a few months back to a teenage kid. He was glad to get it, I was glad he got a good truck for cheap.

November 01 2010 at 9:08 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
dvlboy66

Everything GM has is a P.O.S.Pontiacs were just re-badged Chevys.

November 01 2010 at 9:02 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
imunozjefe

But Who is the home team now? Foreign car copanies are building more cars in the US then the so called "American companies". Ford, GM and Chrisler are all building most of their cars in Mexico, Canada or China (and soon in India) while Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan are building new factories across the heartland. I own both an american car and a forein car and I love both of them. We should buy what we like but also we should buy products manufactured in the USA(eventhough they are hard to find!).

November 01 2010 at 8:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to imunozjefe's comment
jlsntx

Yeah, I remember now the Nissan Sentra I once owned was made in Tennesee. A friends brother worked there. I passed the Mercedes plant in Alabama once. It's right off Interstate 20 in the heart of Dixie no less. Toyota, I think, has a plant in Dallas. How is it those factories can make cars here but we can't seem to keep an American named car plant going. Oh yeah, Ford has done it. Who is the CEO of Ford. Maybe he should be in the white house.

November 01 2010 at 9:13 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Cal4RCE

Pontiac has made so many wonderful cars over the years. Toyota's goal recently has been to be the BIGGEST, NOT the BEST, and people are paying with their lives, like the family killed in San Diego when the brakes failed on their loaner Lexus. There are so many wonderful reliable American cars out there, but people want to be showy and buy BMWS to impress their coworkers and strangers and then drive home to a rundown slum. My next car will be a used Pontiac. My last GMC product was bulletproof - original shiny paint and perfect interior at 250,000 when I sold it. Buying foreign just puts your neighbor out of work. It's almost too late. Funny how people don't understand that this country would be better off if we spent our money on American products.

November 01 2010 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cal4RCE's comment
kafrench34

Even american cars have foreign parts or are made in cananda or mexico and foreign cars are made here. My dodge has a mitsubishi engine-better than a dodge engine

November 02 2010 at 3:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chip

I have no intention of ever considering purchasing a car from this company, which is owned by fascists, managed by idiots, and staffed by thugs. Go Toyota!

November 01 2010 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply