ToyotaToyota Motor (TM) is once again defending itself against claims that it sought to cover up vehicle defects after it reportedly bought back cars that accelerated unintentionally but failed to disclose the problem to federal safety officials.

The revelation was contained in documents filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Southern California as part of an ongoing lawsuit against the automaker.

Plaintiffs' lawyers contend Toyota compelled the owners to sign confidentiality agreements that prevented them from speaking publicly about the issues they encountered, the Associated Press reported.

"Damning Evidence"

The cases date back to as far as 2006, and allege that Toyota technicians were able to replicate the incidents of unintended acceleration, in which the vehicles sped up without any input from the driver.

"The deeper we dig into the facts that surround Toyota, the more damning the evidence that Toyota was aware of the issue and failed to act responsibly," said plaintiffs' attorney Steve Berman, AP reported. "The revelation that they bought up the cars in question and prevented the owners from talking about their experience is curious at best, nefarious at worst."

In response to news reports about the court documents, Toyota said in a statement that its "engineers were unable to duplicate the condition and the vehicles were repurchased from the customers for further engineering analysis."

The automaker said it looks forward to defending against the allegations made by the plaintiffs.

Complaints involving unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus vehicles resulted in the recall of some 8 million cars in the U.S. earlier this year, in two separate actions.

One of the recalls, involving sticky pedals, resulted in a record $16.4 million fine by federal officials against Toyota for failing to disclose the problem in a timely manner.

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

papagaga56

It happen to me 2 weeks ago. I was in line at a gas station with my highlander in park. the car in front of me pulled away from the pump and i shifted into drive with my foot still on the brake to shift and the engine roared up and took off like a rocket with my foot still on the brake and smashed the car in front of me. And toyota told me my 05 highlander was not on the recall list.What caused it to roar up and take off? It is being repaired at a $4000 price but I dont know if I want to get behind the wheel of that vehicle again annd who knows when it will happen again. It's like sitting on a time boom.

November 02 2010 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ccdae5

Who's going to believe Toyota now, since they've been caught lying all along??? Screw Toyota, they're washed up. I'm sticking to my GM's and Fords. Buy American!!

October 29 2010 at 3:11 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ccdae5's comment
hchevy

I wish toyota was washed up in this country. People now buy their cars out of sympathy.

October 30 2010 at 5:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hemipwr54

Larry , Curly , Moe and Schepp Nefarious , I think not , I don't think Toyota was trying to plot to kill people , they are not villains . If you buy UAW made you are supporting a GANG , I don't support gangs and gang activity .

October 29 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hemipwr54's comment
hchevy

By that thinking you can't drive a Hemi.

October 30 2010 at 5:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
legalcld

Of course they're dening this! And yet people still run out and buy their cars! Maybe Toyota should give out life insurance policies with a purchase of their cars!

October 29 2010 at 11:27 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
nekotek

How do you outsource a doctor? Am I going to fly to some 3rd world country for my next checkup?

October 29 2010 at 10:16 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mhcontain

We have 17% unemployment in this country. Go to Korea and Japan and see how many American cars you see on the road. It's funny how all the people who bought foreign cars are now having their jobs outsourced (Computer programmers, customer service people, doctors lawyers, etc...). funny when the shoes on the other foot isn't it?

October 29 2010 at 9:11 AM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
ferandr4

interesting why the publications/test drivers that rated these Toyota cars never reported any incidents ----was there any "keep your mouths shut" payola involved???

October 29 2010 at 9:10 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Tommy

Toyota's time has come and gone. Poor quality and boring designs and lack of integrity. Give the US based companies another try and lets get our economy going again. We have helped the Japanese and Korean economies long enough.

October 29 2010 at 8:54 AM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
galbraith1065

Keep your money in the USA. Don't buy this Jap crap.

October 29 2010 at 8:34 AM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
Randy

Just go away crapota!!!!!

October 29 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Randy's comment
Travis

I guess what we need to do is buy a obamamobile from govt. motors. What about the people working in the plants that build these vehicles and work at the dealerships?

October 29 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply