AIG (AIG) said that CEO Robert Benmosche has cancer and is undergoing aggressive chemotherapy.

"The good news is that I feel fine, and I continue to work according to my normal schedule," Benmosche said in a statement. "I remain absolutely committed to my job, to AIG, and to all of our stakeholders."

Benmosche said that he would have "a better idea" of his long-term prognosis over the next two months.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob and his family at this time," said Robert "Steve" Miller, chairman of the AIG board.

Last week, AIG raised more than $17 billion in the IPO of one of its Asian units. The company is seeking to raise funds to pay back the U.S. taxpayer for the multi-billion dollar rescue package implemented during the financial crisis.

Finding Stock Ideas

Learn to do your research and find investments.

Investment Strategies

What's your investing game plan?

Tmoneypenny

my wife is currently on disability after being hurt on the job we fought 3 yrs 2 lawyers got bribed our house broken into by their detectives two doctors convicted of malpractice dept of labor and industries paid off medical records destroyed and ignored.all were convicted of these crimesthey still paid nothing now you and I and the rest of us TAX paying citizens will pay for her and her treatment for the rest of her life. and multi care and AIG pay nothing.A curse on all of them. oh by the way the husband of the govenor is the head man in charge of the dept.of labor and industries.I.E
government involvement Hope you like you're obama care!

May 04 2011 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tmoneypenny

I hope he suffers great pain he is more of a terrorist than ossama he has caused alot of grief to the world
I will be dancing on his grave

May 04 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lbraun4347

I wonder if he will get dropped from his insurance now? He would drop the rest of us for the treatment , so lets hope his insurance does the same.....

October 26 2010 at 5:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
younagme

couldn't have happened to a better person.. hopefully the chemo doesn't work SCUMBAG..

October 26 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
theanalyzer69

I would have preferred he got jail time but I guess cancer is OK. Hey, Bob, what goes around comes around..... Tic, Toc, Tic, Toc.....

October 26 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
junior

Glad the money you stole from the taxpayers is paying for your chemo.

October 26 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
thepetermedic

oh boo hoo no pity here his pockets will be full in the grave just hope no one steals from him like he ruined others lifes

October 26 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LN

Geez.. I just read the other comments, makes me wonder what this world could be if they could turn all that "hatred" into goodness for their fellow men... "what a wonderful world" it could be.

October 26 2010 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dstone1683

Well, at least he is not in the same position as those who have caner or other serious life threatening or debilitating diseases, and who have also become financially devastated by the blatant FRAUDS, misfeasance and malfeaances of AIG under his leadership. I make no appology for not being sympathetic to his health problems . . . he certainly has the money to afford the best of medical treatments and to have the highest possible quality of life. Those who were efrauded and ruined by his "management of AIG have certainly not been so fortunate, have they? Can you imagine the physical and emotional, and financial miseries that have beset those who are ill and who wre financially devastated by the frauds of AIG? I simply cannot have an iota of sympathy for this man.

October 26 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dstone1683's comment
daniellercooper

Before you bash a man who is seriously ill, you should check your facts. He is indeed the current CEO, but he was brought in after the CEO who was in place during the "frauds, misfeasance and malfeaances" you cite stepped down. It was the hope that he would turn the company around and he played no part in their previous wrong doings.

October 26 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
thepetermedic

their all crooks

October 26 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LN

God bless Mr. Benmosche... from a cancer survivor just stay positive about your treatment and keep living life as best you can. I'm cheering for you!

October 26 2010 at 10:40 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply