Toyota Motor (TM) is recalling 740,000 cars and sports-utility vehicles in the U.S. and nearly 600,000 units in Japan to repair a seal on the vehicles' brake master cylinder that may leak fluid and impair braking performance.

Affected models sold in the U.S. include 2005 to 2006 Toyota Avalon sedans and 2004 to 2006 Toyota Highlander (nonhybrid) SUVs as well as 2004 to 2006 Lexus RX330 SUVs, and 2006 Lexus GS300, IS250, and IS350 sedans, Toyota said in a statement posted late Wednesday on its website.

The automaker said in some instances a seal in the brake master cylinder may dry out. Should that happen, brake fluid could leak from the master cylinder onto the brake booster, illuminating a warning light on the instrument panel, Toyota said.

Should the vehicles continue to be operated without refilling the brake fluid container, drivers will begin to notice that the brake pedal feels "spongy," and braking performance may decline, Toyota said.

Toyota and Lexus dealers will make necessary repairs to the recalled vehicles at no charge to vehicle owners, the company said. Owners of affected vehicles will be notified by regular mail beginning early next month.

In Japan, the recall involves 599,029 vehicles across 11 model lines. Those models may also have a problem with faulty fuel pump wires. About 200,000 additional vehicles sold in other countries are also subject to the recalls, CNN International reported.

A third problem, related to defective speedometers, affects two additional models totaling nearly 2,000 cars in Japan, Toyota said. No accidents have yet been reported as a result of any of the defects, the company said in twin filings submitted with Japanese regulators.

Tough Year For Recalls

The recalls are the latest in a string of such actions by Toyota this year. Less than two months ago, the automaker said it would recall about 1.13 million Corolla and Matrix compact cars in North America due to engine stalling, following an investigation by federal safety officials.

Toyota's biggest recall so far this year involves two separate campaigns to repair some 8 million cars in the U.S. to prevent unintended acceleration, caused by sticky gas pedals or bulky rubber floor mats that can pin accelerator pedals to the vehicles' floor.

Earlier this month, Toyota said it had repaired 80% of the vehicles with the sticky pedal issue and 58% of those with floor mat problems. Federal investigators, however, are still looking into other causes, including electronic interference, that may result in Toyota vehicles accelerating uncontrollably.

The sticky pedal recall was the subject of a record $16.4 million fine assessed by U.S. regulators in April for Toyota's failure to quickly disclose what it knew about the defect.

The numerous recalls have taken their toll on Toyota sales. Once the No. 2 supplier of vehicles to the U.S. market, Toyota has fallen behind once third-place Ford Motor (F) for much of the year.

Toyota also faces massive lawsuits related to its quality woes. They include a claim brought by a group of Toyota stockholders who allege the automaker concealed problems related to unintended acceleration in its vehicles.

In addition to Toyota's recall Wednesday, Chrysler Group and Volvo also issued safety recalls. Chrysler's campaign involves nearly 27,000 cars and trucks to repair power-steering hoses that may become disconnected and leak fluid, possibly resulting in a fire. Meanwhile, Volvo said it was recalling nearly 10,000 vehicles to fix faulty driver's side airbags.

Small Cap Investing

Learn now to invest in small companies the right way.

Investing in Real Estate

Learn the basics of investing in real estate.

timmojonn

Toyota has recalled over 10 million cars over the past year. What has happened to this company, which used to be known for producing cars of the highest quality. For further comments, see http://wp.me/pQr4T-dM

October 24 2010 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to timmojonn's comment
merlin1649

Maybe most of toyota's "legendary quality" was just the imagination of it's customers and now the illusion is wearing off.

October 25 2010 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon5342

I bought a new Toyota Camry last year. A recovery department took it back. The VIN number was one that was recalled. The recovery department told me to call Toyota financial to see if somebody was hurt in that car. I have called them several times and they tell me to leave my number if it is a long wait and they will call me back. They never once have called me back. I could have been killed in a car that some company wants me to pay $9000 for. I wish they would call me back. I am disabled and can't afford to pay for a car that may have killed me and the lawsuit would have been much bigger. I wish they would just give me a break and eat up the cost of &9000. They knew there was a problem before the cars were bought.

October 23 2010 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
giovanni1948

I purchased a 2007 Rav4 brand new and have had a variety of problems with this vehicle. The worst is a leak somewhere behind the instrument panel or windshield. When it rains the floors front and back become drenched. When I use the sunroof, something rattles constantly, the vehicle uses alot of oil and now I am noticing that my brake fluid needs refilling on a frequent basis. My 4 year lease expires in February and I am no longer interested in ever purchasing a Toyota vehicle again. My next choice will be either a Honda or Nissan.

October 22 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to giovanni1948's comment
hchevy

Now would be your chance to come back from the dark side and buy American.

October 23 2010 at 6:41 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Koz

You know I do not rememeber car being recalled years ago when the were simple. They are to complicated now.

October 22 2010 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benplhrs743

a curse upon you Toyota for what you did to me

October 22 2010 at 1:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to benplhrs743's comment
hchevy

toyota has done it to all of us. Some peole just don't realize it.

October 23 2010 at 6:42 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
benplhrs743

may God damn you Toyota for what you did to me.

October 22 2010 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benplhrs743

a pox upon you Toyota for what you did to me.

October 22 2010 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benplhrs743

A curse upon you Toyota for what you did to me.

October 22 2010 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrbrianlombardo

Hyundai builds a great car

October 21 2010 at 10:27 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mrbrianlombardo's comment
joe

Great in what sense??

October 22 2010 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donald A Largen

At least some auto makers are making an effort in fixing potential problems. Where are you GM and Chevrolet Motor Div.? Numerious GM cars sold from 2000-2005 have defective instrument clusters, they have been reported to NITSA and GM has not done any thing about it. Toyota keep up the Moving Forward Moto

October 21 2010 at 9:59 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Donald A Largen's comment
richard

Moving foward into a tree?

October 21 2010 at 10:11 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply