StarbucksYour morning coffee may get a little slower.

Starbucks (SBUX) is telling its baristas to slow down the preparation of drinks in order to counter the image of a hot drinks assembly line. Under new guidelines for stores in the U.S. and Canada, baristas will be allowed to work on no more than two drinks at any time, The Wall Street Journal said.

Slower drinks could mean longer lines.

"While I'm blending a frappuccino, it doesn't make sense to stand there and wait for the blender to finish running, because I could be making an iced tea at the same time," Tyler Swain, a barista in Omaha, Neb., told The Wall Street Journal. Swain's store has not yet adopted the new measures.

Starbucks says the new rules, which will be enforced by next month, will help make stores more efficient and improve the quality of the drinks. Customers have noted that Starbucks espresso is "average" and that the quality of preparation is inconsistent.

Other new rules include rinsing pitchers after each use and only using one espresso machine instead of two.

The company has worked aggressively to improve its business in a weak economy, closing underperforming stores, boosting loyalty-card perks and introducing new varieties of instant coffee.

Earnings rose 37% in the quarter that ended June 27.

Forex for Beginners

Learn about trading currencies and foreign exchange transactions

Asset Allocation

Learn the most important step in structuring an investment portfolio.

Richard

Great; pay more, wait longer. Now there's even more reason to not buy coffee at Starbucks.

October 14 2010 at 10:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hollyboc

That could be the most stupid thing I ever heard. Yeah, let's make it take longer than it already does. I don't care about minor inconsistency. I just want it fast.

October 14 2010 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adrondus

I've worked as a barista, though not at Starbucks. I can tell you, no matter how many drinks I made at a time it wasn't enough. There were always impatient customers who wanted their drinks the second they ordered them. You can tell the barista to slow down, but when the line is out the door and customers are making snide comments about the service as they deliberately don't leave a tip, you can bet they're going to ignore corporate and speed back up. And by the way, Starbucks coffee doesn't taste bad because it's been sitting around too long, it tastes bad because they burn their beans during the roasting process.

October 14 2010 at 2:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paleperson

Slowing down isn't going to help with overpriced bottom of the pot tasting coffee. Corporate America doesn't read the public very well.

October 14 2010 at 1:56 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Captchess

I'm a hot Mocha drinker. Most of the time the barista fails to stir the drink to thoroughly mix the chocolate into the milk and coffee, causing it to be extra heavy with chocolate at the bottom. I appreciate it being stirred. Maybe slowing down will help.

October 14 2010 at 12:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rgoatgirl26

Another example of corporate stupidity.

October 13 2010 at 10:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Olivia

I have enjoyed Starbucks coffee for many years and will continue to do so regardless of the slow down. Guess a little more patience is in order. I would however like to see a larger waiting area with seating for those who are leaving.

October 13 2010 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LNOFT97

I keep reading all the time: 'make your own coffee instead of buying it at Starbucks and save a thousand dollars a year!'. I make my own coffee every day; I think I've bought coffee at Starbucks twice in my life. How come I'm still poor??????????? Yeah, that 'slow it down' edict from the great minds is gonna work out just swell! Nothing like fidgeting in a loooong line early in the morning on the way to work to make a customer, who's going to be late for work, come back again and again!

October 13 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tsmomfla

How about pricing your coffee drinks so the masses could afford to go to Starbucks? That would be a really great improvement.

October 13 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
docof03

I would like to know which website jay read that said firemen were charged for water during 9/11. I just wish they continued to make the Butterbeer coffee like they did during the HP book debut, but until than, I'll go to 7-11 for the Pumpkin Spice coffee.

October 13 2010 at 8:57 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to docof03's comment
Andrew

I can tell you from memory that is absolutely correct. Later, Starbucks released an apology statement. The decision was made by a local manager, who seemed not to grasp what was occuring at the time.

October 14 2010 at 6:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply