Gap logoGap (GPS) is reinstating its familiar blue box logo, just one week after unveiling a new logo to great fanfare.

The new logo showed the word "Gap" on a white background with a small blue box jutting out of it. Customers and market players reacted with almost universal contempt.

One commenter on Gap's Facebook page said the logo looked "like a child made it."

Gap insisted the new logo was a "a more contemporary, modern expression."

Now, Gap is scrapping the modern and going back to the tried and tested.

"All roads were leading us back to the blue box, so we've made the decision not to use the new logo on gap.com any further," Gap said in a statement.

The clothing retailer aggravated hostility to the new logo when it asked the public to suggest new designs.

The only problem was the company gave no guarantee it would pay for any suggestions it liked.

"We are clear that we did not go about this in the right way," Gap said. "This wasn't the right project at the right time for crowd sourcing."

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Reading a Stock Quote

Learn to read the ingredients of a stock.

View Course »

Investing in Emerging Markets

Learn to invest in a globalized world.

View Course »

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

45 Comments

Filter by:
oregonrainlover

The new logo was horrible. Things must not be going well for GAP and it's subsidiaries. The quality of clothing at Old Navy is becoming non-existent and returns are up. Old Navy was supposed to boost GAP sales, but this year, it's a bust. I agree, if you cave so easily, the strength of the company is in question. I'm not investing. They should have heeded "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

October 13 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vitrioleumjelly

And where is the picture of the logo they scrapped????/

October 13 2010 at 7:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Kudos to Gap for having an honest enough corporate value system to admit their shortcoming: "We are clear that we did not go about this in the right way," Gap said. "This wasn't the right project at the right time for crowd sourcing."

October 13 2010 at 4:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Somakx

I am Computer Graphic Designer here in Pakistan. I can design new logo of GAP and assure you that owner of GAP will love to launch my creations immediately. somakxx@gmail.com

October 13 2010 at 3:18 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
brennemanbelkin

Some GAP exec's niece fancys herself a graphic designer. Evidently the board of directors is toothless, so it's best not to invest here.

October 13 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
nycsc8

They should also go back and change their idiotic tv commercials. The new ones are so annoying I automatically fast forward.

October 12 2010 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

There is not picture so I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't shop there and probably won't so I guess it doesn't matter but it would have been nice if I could compare the two logos.

October 12 2010 at 8:45 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Lynda

Here's my take: Companies need to keep those college grads working that they hired. Maybe they're from the ad/marketing agency. Maybe they'd like to boost sales by getting a "new and improved" logo so they tried to sell that to the company as a "booster shot". Well, who's going to be paying for this ridiculous waste of time? Yep. The next winter line at GAP just got pricier. When will these folks learn? If it works, don't try to fix it. Now look what you did.

October 12 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
CELL PHONE KING

I don't shop at gap for myself, so I consider this unbiased. But their new logo sucked, good call going back to the old one. Don't know if it would've hurt business or not, but the old logo is better looking. Their staff is usually cordial and courteous when I shop for my daughters or gifts for others. They seem like a decent company to work for.

October 12 2010 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CELL PHONE KING's comment
Shane

Wouldnt expect an AOL article to actually contain a picture of said logo?! Good work Hugh Collins, good to see you putting those junior high school newspaper skills to work!

October 12 2010 at 7:37 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply