Oprah Winfrey: It Was Hard to Accept Being a BrandYou might think that someone who puts her famous name on everything she does would be comfortable with the notion of self-branding. Not Oprah Winfrey.

"The idea of being a brand was hard for me to accept," the daytime talk show host and soon-to-be cable network founder said during a Q&A session at the American Magazine Conference in Chicago. Winfrey was interviewed by Susan Casey, editor in chief of O, The Oprah Magazine.

"I had no intention of being a brand," she said. "My intention was to just do the work and represent the truth in the work every day. But I guess that's what a brand is."

"I accept that I am a brand now," she added. "I had to learn that being true to yourself is what creates a brand, and as long as you are true to yourself you don't have to worry what the brand is or how the brand is doing or how the brand is faring in the world. I never thought about what are the attributes of my brand. That's for other people to tell me."

Winfrey also talked about her mindset as she approaches the end of The Oprah Winfrey Show next year. "I said to my producers I can't think about it being the last show because every show consumes so much of your energy, and to be present for that show and that moment is all the energy I can give.

"So I'm really not thinking about what the end will be. I'm just trying to focus on making every day memorable for myself. I want this year not to be like the big wedding where you don't remember anything that happened."

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

wyoval

Poor little thing!!GAG

October 06 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Queenie

My children,grandchildren,great grandchildren, etc. thank you for subsidizing Bozo Barack and his ten generation debt which they will be paying long, long after we are gone.

October 06 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

DLCCARS44 I FEEL SO SORRY FOR OPRAH IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY JUST USED HER AND USED UNTIL SHE COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE POOR OPRAH.

October 06 2010 at 10:52 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Queenie

Oprah, Please go away

October 06 2010 at 10:51 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
gymbo bogymm

The shameful thing about Oprah is her using guru's that are well known con artist,i.e...Marianne Willianson, to name one..who perverts the words of Jesus and denies His salvation,,,,just like Oprah has done....they are both wolves n sheep's clothing according to scripture.because they deceive the children of God.......t

October 06 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
perk740

Hard to accept being a brand???? Geez her picture is on the cover of every issue of "O" Magazine. "Look at me and my greatness" yeah, sounds like she had a real hard time accepting the brand thing. Check your ego Oprah, I applaud your success but really, Check your ego!

October 06 2010 at 10:44 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

you people commenting here are the biggest bunch of complaining negative cronies I've seen. You need to look in a mirror - what do YOU do to make the world a better place.... even on the smallest of scales. I guarantee you that the crap you post here does nothing to enrich anyone's life. you really are a disappointing bunch of arm chair critics.

October 06 2010 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Teresa's comment
Charles

A brand of what!! Good hearted my azz, if it aint a tax break or a profit on the other end, she won't touch it.

October 06 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
lbbont

Her ego is almost as big as her azz.

October 06 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ssyankeeclipper

another loser what has she done to help her people who live in the USA? the flop of a multimillion $ school in some 3rd world country trips and cars for her audience what has she done for her brothers and sisters here? and she is filthy rich give me a break please

October 06 2010 at 8:09 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply