A bull market has a way of papering over investing mistakes that tougher times for equities lay painfully bare. Shortsightedness, overconfidence and -- most important -- failing to have a plan are more likely to hurt investors' long-term results than the inevitable ups and downs of stocks and bonds, says Jonathan Satovsky, chairman and chief executive of Satovsky Asset Management.

Failing to set forth clear long-term objectives, overestimating their own risk-tolerance and swapping investing strategies in mid-stream are just a few of the ways in which investors hurt their returns. "Too often people second-guess their plan when they are caught up in the minutiae of the market or a hot trend," Satovsky says. "What they don't realize is their plan is doing exactly what it is intended for -- producing superior returns over the long term."

The bottom line is that fear and greed are an investor's worst enemy. For more of Satovsky's insights into the most common investing mistakes, see the video below.

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Easystguy@gmail.com

You may find this video informative and helpful. It's about the basics of investing, in plain english. Investing doesn't have to be hard! 100% free!

July 25 2011 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HELLO MEANLADY

you can avoid investing mistakes by NOT INVESTING in the thievery of wall street.

October 05 2010 at 1:24 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pdbocc

This advice isn't for everyone. There are many people who live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to invest. But there's hope, let me tell you my story. I'm a 62 year old man who was laid off, I seached everywhere but no one wants to hire a 62 year old. I couldn't even get hired as a greeter at Wal-Mart. Then I started my own home based business; WWW.SENDMEFIFTYDOLLARS.COM, money started pouring in, life has never been better. I'm franchising my business so others can have the life they dreamed of. Please visit my website WWW.THERESASUCKERBORNEVERYMINUTE.COM and just complete the application and send me the $25,000 franchise fee and soon you too can live the good life.

October 04 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pdbocc's comment
HELLO MEANLADY

do you accept money copied off of a copy machine, it looks like the real thing.

October 05 2010 at 1:26 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Cherie

I will invest my whole lot of nothing, than expect a return of a whole lot of nothing. How is this most Americans are just getting by. It is quite a leap to assume there is money to invest. Unless you believe the media spin. Newsflash we can barely pay our bills. Is November here yet?

October 04 2010 at 7:26 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mb1958

Yhe lame bounty commercial came thru just fine. Unfortunately Satovsky's comments did not. Sure lets you know whats important in this upside down world. Just took Bounty off my shopping list.

October 03 2010 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply