Oracle (ORCL) CEO Larry Ellison doesn't think highly of Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) board. In fact, he thinks the entire board should resign -- pronto.

Why? Because "the madness must stop," according to the fighter-jet-flying billionaire.

Ellison made his comments in an email sent to The Wall Street Journal in which he said he was at a loss for words to describe HP's hiring of Leo Apotheker, a former chief of German software giant SAP (SAP), to replace Mark Hurd as CEO.

"I'm speechless," he wrote. "HP had several good internal candidates...but instead they pick a guy who was recently fired because he did such a bad job of running SAP."

HP's board has faced criticism for its sometimes baffling decisions for years. Ellison's comments echo some of the criticism leveled at HP over the choice of Apotheker to replace Hurd. (Read why Apotheker may actually be just what HP needs.)

The Oracle CEO didn't mince words when it comes to his view of HP's board. "None of the HP board members own much HP stock so they have little to lose," he wrote. "But the HP employees, customers, partners and shareholders will suffer. "

Ellison added: "The HP board needs to resign en masse ... right away. The madness must stop."

Is this all part of Ellison's master plan to bash HP and drive down its share price so he can swoop in with a bid? An H-P spokeswoman told the paper that Ellison's remarks don't "deserve the dignity of a response."

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

mglotz

Richard Nixon would tell Ellison :YOU dont attack people; you critic POLICY" Martin Glotzer Chicago Shareholder activst who attends 30 to 40 annual shareholder meetings every year for many years

October 03 2010 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billdollar

Larry Ellison needs to take a long vacation of his huge yacht and get over the HP situation. Get a grip Larry!

October 03 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Roberson

This is what is wrong with Coporate America, when employees fail to meet metrics , they get fired . When CEO's fail to meet metrics , they get fired , get a golden parachute , & get hired at another Fortune five hundred to repeat the same madness. That's the reason the HP board doesnt own stock in the company they have no interest in the success of the company. Has anyone read "Confessions of an Economic Hit man. I remember vividly people were saying The former president of G.E. was a genius . It does'nt take a genius to fire your bottom 10 percent to save money . A genius would keep the bottom 10 percent & increase share market value ,make production leaner & increase output by 10 percent . That my friend is a Genius. No what you say ,but do...... These companies need to take notice & America needs to get back to producing & competing in the Global economy .

October 02 2010 at 6:57 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Roberson's comment
mallycj

Hey dixel do wrong, when I hear someone whining about unions inevitably they are some kind of salesboy upset that hey cannot gouge all ther want on their commissions. About 80 percent of product cost is in sales, marketeering, administration and transportation. If we want to make America competetive we need to get the sales and marketeering markup under control. You people add nothing of value.

October 02 2010 at 11:04 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
jetmaker

Hey Dixel...help me to remember. Everyone blamed the unions for driving Americas' Mfg. jobs overseas starting in the late 80's and early 90's. Remember the free trade agreements??? They said unions were overpricing themselves out of the market by insisting on higher pay and benefits, but everything was good because America was moving to a "service oriented" economy. So now, all our "service oriented" jobs are moving overseas...mostly Asia (China, Pakistan, India) and we now have 10% unemployment, name we ONE UNION IN THE COMPUTER TECH FIELD OR CUSTOMER SERVICE FIELD!!! So who is to blame for that pal??? That's right, big business, GREEDY CEO's and REPUGNANT-cans. Don't get me wrong, I'm no dem-da-RATS, but big business has killed the American dream by taking away all the tariffs (taxes on products made outside the U.S.). YOU NOR I CAN COMPETE WITH A GUY OR GAL WHO MAKES $2-$3 AN HOUR IN A MFG PLANT! Nor can the white collar guy compete with someone making $23,000.00 a year (POVERTY IN U.S.) and that person is middle class in THEIR county. Wake up and smell the what big business is cooking, they don't want to bring the world's standard of living up to ours, what they want to do is bring our standard of living down to theirs!

October 03 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Gumby

HP revenues is growing nicely ever since . HP surpassed IBM's revenues long ago. I think Microsoft will acquire HP when MS decides that it needs some minerals (hardware) in its corporate health.

October 02 2010 at 5:54 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
deexciter

Ellison should talk about giving advice to others. Ellison and former/convicted junk bond king Michael Milken our majority shareholders in a company called Knowledge Learning Corporation (KLC). KLC is the parent company of that infamous warehouse of young children better known as Kindercare Learning Centers. Yea, Larry you do a bang-up job working with 350,000 accounts(I mean children) and producing the next generation of juvenile justice participants. Larry, you're a real sweetheart. Keep up the good work !

October 02 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bunnyfunny47

Why it's just another pot out here calling the kettle black...It's all these corporations out here hiring in all sorts of foreign labor to replace American workers. Mark my words, sooner or later all this will catch up to them when our American economy tanks because of all they've done to hurt this country...and for what? "THE GOD-AWFUL DOLLAR".

October 02 2010 at 3:27 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
wcw4721

Well, it seems to me that Larry Ellison is right in what he says, but the reason he is saying it is because he wants to buy HP for himself, and the best way to do that is to gaslight his competition. Either way, they are both ********.

October 02 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wcw4721's comment
whitecloudbia

You know it's funny hearing about HP as I'm wearing an old HP T-Shirt right now as I'm writting this reply. Well I remember HP over 25 years ago when they were working on some state of the art technology for a certain government which was once the United States of America, but alas with digital and stailite cable TV we know have to watch foreign television as even our TV's like my old Admiral black and white which I grew up on doesn't even show re-runs of Gilligan's Island let alone those old Lonney Toon bugs bunny and Daffy Duck along with the other cartoon features I grew up on are now mostly Japanese animation replacing Saturday mornings with Popeye for Teen Age Mutant Ninga Turtles or Lost in Space with Ultraman Giga of which isn't to bad if you remember Saturday Matinees and those Godzilla movies of the 70's. Well anyway I thought I would take the time to comment on a recent letter I recieved from an ex-HP executive running against Barbara Boxer for the US Senate and what she intends to do about America by bringing back Mel Blanc and those made in America for American's TV cartoon shows for our kids as I'm sick of all these people asking me for money for their causes where they spend it on sex change operations like Cher's Daughter and Mrs. Bono Macs step daughter and others alike ship in their ethnic and cultural ancestry by the droves and then attack our government with the world powers like at the UN dictating how American kids should be brought up like some kind of Never Never Land fantasy while I watch these same countries who still have a majority of their people still the ruling part of their governments as American's are so mixed up and desegrigaded that they can attack LA and LAPD and just run back to Mexico and hide out from the same TJ cops they attacked as well. Look what they did to my song Ma ! It was the only thing I could do half right and it's turning out all wrong oh Ma ! Loook what the've done to my song ! At least I can watch some re-runs of Get Smart and Hogan's Hero's if I didn't still have my old annalog TV antenna. I wished HRH was still running the show at RKO, but they just took him for his money as well ?

October 02 2010 at 5:45 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
hkparija

Larry is really smart and you can not just ignore what he says. He has a vision and he knows what he does/says, this has been already proved in past decade. So whatever the HP`s board is doing is neither good for HP nor good for it`s customers/partners. HP used to be a inovation company , now it is just a solution provider. It is all because of the people in the board . I do not feel they have any concret vision. It seems someday larry will buy HP.

October 02 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
boyadj45

why does he note sign up with his compatriot carl icahn and raid the company or fly his italian mickey mouse jet over hp. jet flying ceo my ass

October 02 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
enpassant44

Why would the CEO of Oracle criticize the hiring of a CEO at HP? Sounds fishy to me.

October 02 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply