Mini CooperMini Coopers are known for their quick, precise handling, but some owners have complained of steering problems that may lead to a crash, prompting a federal investigation.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun looking into complaints of power-steering failures in 80,000 Mini Coopers from the 2004 and 2005 models years, after receiving 54 complaints that "allege a loss of power steering assist due to power steering pump failure," the agency said Tuesday on its website.

"When the power-steering assist stops working, it requires increased force to steer the vehicle. Some drivers reported experiencing difficulty while trying to steer or control the vehicle," NHTSA said.

A spokesman for Munich, Germany-based BMW, which owns Mini Cooper, said the company will provide regulators with information it's seeking, Bloomberg News reported.

The probe into Mini Coopers is the latest investigation into steering issues by NHTSA. On Sunday, Hyundai Motor said it was voluntarily recalling nearly 140,000 Hyundai Sonata models from the 2011 model year for loose or improperly assembled connections on steering columns. The defect may make the cars hard or impossible to steer, possibly leading to a crash.

In August, the agency began a preliminary investigation into 2010 Kia Soul models after receiving a complaint about a complete loss of steering. That investigation involves about 51,000 vehicles.

Understanding Stock Market Indexes

What does it mean when people say "the market is up 2%"?

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

miniexpert

For more information about Mini Problems visit www.AskTheCarExperts.com As an Expert I have seen quite a few power steering problems. You can ask the Mini Experts mechanical, diagnosis, or any Mini question you can think of. I have seen a lot of MINI GREMLINS!

October 25 2010 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucille

Just an FYI. Go to NHTSA site to register a complaint regarding this defect in your MINI Cooper. MINI needs to address this issue ASAP!

September 30 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucille

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper that had this problem at 46,000 miles which was very scary while driving on the highway! My vehicle which is in mint condition, currently has 59,000 miles and has been exclusively serviced at Mini of Fairfield. When this event occured I was told this was a random failure with the car but noticed that other owners complained of the same problem. This repair for parts & labor was $979.01 plus 6% Ct sales tax...OUCH! I believe MINI should come clean and admit there is a problem. This should be corrected for those who are at risk while driving and reimburse those of us who spent nearly $1000.00 for a part MINI should RECALL! I intend to pursue this with MINI and NHTSA. I hope others will do the same! Be safe!

September 30 2010 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kingbeeiii

My 2004 Mini Cooper S, is having this problem right now. Is there someone I should contact to give my information to? I have found that if I turn the car off and back on it solves the problem, short term. Should I wait to have it fixed?

September 29 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kingbeeiii's comment
Lucille

Yes repair it! It is very dangerous if it fails!

September 30 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cvdunbar

you drive this death trap in NJ and it wont be long before you jump into a SUV, lol.

September 29 2010 at 8:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cvdunbar

I thought the streeing in this thing was a 2"x4" with a rope, what could go wrong.

September 29 2010 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenyniel

Love My 2009 Mini cooper! It's almost as fun as my Porsche. If you could combine the two cars, I'd be in heaven. Feel a bit guilty having 2 foreign cars. Think my next car will be a Buick, as American cars have really improved in the last couple of years, but I'll miss shifting gears even in city driving. Do love the 42 MPG on HWY and the 33.5 City I get with the Mini. Maybe a Hybrid Dodge Charger/Challenger would get my attention? Buying American will be the future, as the government/republicans just want the corporations to maximize profit by shipping jobs overseas. Pretty soon, if not already, most American's won't be able to buy anything. Soon, anyone without a practical college degree will make a fraction of their parents, unless we put some protectionism back into our economy.

September 29 2010 at 1:28 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kenyniel's comment
hchevy

Owning a honda is nothing to be proud of.

September 29 2010 at 6:24 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
punnster

Call me an old reactionary, but I don't like power steering, power windows and I prefer standard stick shift transmissions.

September 29 2010 at 12:17 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to punnster's comment
CAPITOL CLOTHING

It's nice to live in the stoneage. I still use a typewriter, only listen to AM(can't find music) anddon't understand what the word internet is?

September 29 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ewjohnson

Own a 2005 Mini Cooper S, have never had a steering problem. In fact, the only thing I've had to replace is the thermostat housing. I've avoided numerous accidents over the years due to my car's handling.

September 28 2010 at 9:09 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
savemycntry911

What are there, like 60 Mini Coopers in the country?

September 28 2010 at 8:57 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to savemycntry911's comment
CAPITOL CLOTHING

Living on a farm, one only sees tractors I guess.

September 29 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply