Jobless claims unemployment officeThe U.S. labor market turned in a mixed performance this week as initial jobless claims unexpectedly rose 12,000 to 465,000 -- that stat's first rise in three weeks -- the U.S. Labor Department announced Thursday. However, continuing claims fell another 48,000 to 4.49 million, and the less-volatile four-week moving average decreased 3,250 to 463,250.

A Bloomberg survey had expected initial jobless claims to remaining basically flat from the previous week. Stock investors, naturally, focused on the rise in initial claims, dropping the Dow Jones Industrials by 80 points at the opening.

A year ago, initial jobless claims totaled 538,000, the four-week moving average was 552,250 and continuing claims totaled 6.07 million.

Lower Highs Among the States

One telling stat regarding the recent downtrend in layoffs concerns the size of initial jobless claims by state. As layoffs subside, the totals among states with the highest rates are declining, and even though claims rose unexpectedly nationwide in the latest report, the drop-off in state-level highs continued. The largest increases in initial claims for the week ending Sept. 11, the latest week for which data are available, were in Florida, with 2,755; Wisconsin, 803; Virginia, 542; Iowa, 357; and Kansas, 231.

These numbers also indicate that the vast majority of U.S. states/territories are experiencing a drop in layoffs.

States also reported 4.22 million people claiming Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits for the week ending Sept. 4, the latest week for which data are available, an increase of 113,785 from the prior week. A year ago, 3.16 million people claimed EUC benefits.

The highest insured unemployment rates for the week ending Sept. 4 were in Puerto Rico, 6.2%; New Jersey, 4.4%; Oregon, 4.3%; Nevada, 4.2%; Pennsylvania, 4.2%; and Alaska, 4.0.

Despite this week's surprising jump, jobless claims are falling gradually, and state-level data further confirm that layoffs are ebbing. If claims fall below 400,000 during the next two quarters, that would give economists and investors confidence that commercial activity is increasing at a pace that prompts most companies to curtail layoffs and resume hiring. The latter, of course, is mandatory to maintain the U.S. economic expansion.

Investing in Emerging Markets

Learn to invest in a globalized world.

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

DVD1443

Instead of writing this trash why don't you do some research and write something important like finding out what the real unemployment rate is. Thats all those collecting their benefits and all those who are still not working after their benefits have been exhausted. You might actually come to realize the unemployment rate in this country is closer to 20% instead of 9%. A good portion of the middle class is getting ready to fall into the basement and when that happens maybe then it will become clear that this country's economy is on the edge of collapse. The problem with this country is that all the Politicians have taken the advice and are in the pockets of BIG BUSINESS and CORPORATIONS? The CORPORATIONS HAVE MOVED ALL THEIR MANUFACTURING PLANTS OVERSEAS TO SAVE A BUCK AND LEFT ALL THE AMERICAN WORKERS THAT USED TO MAKE A DECENT WAGE IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE WHICH SHOULD BE THE EQUIVALENT OF TREASON. DON'T WE HAVE ONE POLITICIAN SMART ENOUGH TO SEE ITS ALL CORPORATE GREED DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY!!! WE NEED OUR FACTORYS BACK!! AMERICANS DON'T MAKE ANYTHING ANYMORE!!! WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO PROUD TO BE MADE IN THE U.S.A.!!!!!!!! THE POLITICIANS IN WASHINGTON BETTER FIGURE THIS OUT SOON OR THIS NATION IS IN DEEP DEEP TROUBLE!!!!!!!!

September 25 2010 at 1:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bill griffis

the numbers are sad again. the gov't going give small business loans to buy equipiment to put more people out of work by the way 99er's once u done u do not count no more as being unemployed why is so many people taken early retirement they no age discriminaton allow LOL

September 24 2010 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marktateusa

Kinda negates the "the recovery ended in June" theory, doesn't it?

September 24 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jgriz2000

12,000 only equals 24 per state, so it's not very significant, but i do feel compassion for all those who are having employment difficulties

September 24 2010 at 8:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jgriz2000's comment
marktateusa

That would be 240 per state, and any new jobless is a major impact on them.

September 24 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pattyhar

I am a 61 1/2 year old pharmacist. I have been out of work for 18 months, and yes, the unemployment will end soon, as will my medical coverage. Funny, huh--a pharmacist can't buy medicine for her family? I have applied to more than 1000 (that is not a misprint) jobs, even offering to relocate; however, no company or hospital will help pay for that, because there are so many unemployed people locally. So instead, we will lose our house soon, have already lost one of our cars (the one remaining car is an old 1998 model with almost 199,000 miles on it, but paid for), and I am even selling off my mother's jewelry and family antiques! My husband and I can't live with either of my children because one just lost her house from layoffs at her company, and the other is saddled with $166,000 in student loans and still living in an apartment! I can't get a job at my age, nor can my 76 yo husband (who has 5 degrees!!), so there is really no hope for us. I just hope the homeless shelter will accept my cat with us--he doesn't reject me and always calms me. Thanks a lot, Obama!

September 24 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pattyhar's comment
Clue

Good luck in finding another job! I'm 55 and couldn't find a job at 50. I ended up driving a truck and ended up breaking both my legs in an accident. I've been on Worker's Comp for 2.5 years now. Maybe I can keep getting operations until I turn 65! :o)

September 24 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
jbwgolfer

Please be sure you understand, the recession is over!

September 24 2010 at 7:53 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jbwgolfer's comment
Clue

It depands on whether you have a job or not. :o)

September 24 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Lois

do they count the people whose unemployment benefits have run out and can't file a claim and are still unemployed? I don't think they are publishing that figure.

September 24 2010 at 7:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lois's comment
Clue

Nope, they are off the charts. :o)

September 24 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
headmink

When is the government going to realize that every time they raise minimum wage, people lose jobs. Small businesses can not afford to pay the wages and everything they by to make whatever it is they do goes up so they lay people off. You may make a quarter more an hour, but milk goes up, bread goes up and you wind up spending more. I know so many small companies that have gone out of business after 20 or more years. It is terrible that a wage that is supposed to be and designed to be a starter wage is forcing people out of jobs.

September 24 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to headmink's comment
cayce58

The answer is something neither party wants. Tariffs against China and anyone else that doesn't play fair and subsidize industry until it can get started. Would also be nice if you could get some of the executives from multinational companies that moved out of the US and start making them offers they couldn't refuse.

September 24 2010 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Clue

It's a "feel good" ploy that the democraps always use around election time. Sadly, too many believe that lie; hook, line, sinker, and pole! :o)

September 24 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
likes2kayak

If it drops at all it is because, like me, everyone has reached their 99 weeks and the end of all benefits. I hit my 99 weeks at the end of April.

September 24 2010 at 7:25 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to likes2kayak's comment
millcon1

Lazzaro and the rest of the Obama white house, along with most republicans don't get that... or care to get that. I too am an exhausted 99'er and a long time conservative... I don't know who to vote for anymore. Was it said to be over 400,000 per month are dropping unaccounted for since May 2010?

September 24 2010 at 7:50 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
angelete

Yes, they can say that unemployment figures are dropping. Well, maybe they are but they aren't counting in all of the people that have exausted their benefits, with no help or jobs in sight? I am so tired of looking for a job even tho I have a college education, that seems to mean nothing any more, and if you are over the age of 30, forget trying to get hired some where. All the business want now are young people that are so grateful for work that they will work for practically nothing and no befefits.\, and the recession was supposed to have ended in 2009? Where? Not here in Michigan.

September 24 2010 at 6:57 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to angelete's comment
likes2kayak

The recession has not ended here in Maine either! There are no jobs. And we are one of the highest taxed States in the Country. It looks bleak everywhere and Washington isn't getting it! That's why they try to say the recession is over.

September 24 2010 at 7:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
millcon1

Not here in Arizona either... They are only trying to scam and manipulate us going into the elections... I also read our local news that said they were going to HOLD on foreclosures that are record breaking so the rest of the builders and the economy caves in further... perhaps to stall the bad news until after the elections... than when the bottom drops out they will blame it on the republican takeover... SOS people. They are playing politics with our lives.

September 24 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply