Bad news, Starbucks (SBUX) fans: You might soon need to shell out more cash for your venti-sized extra-hot half-caff soy caramel macchiato. The coffee-shop chain said Wednesday that it will raise prices of some of its larger and more labor-intensive beverages in response to surging prices of green Arabica coffee beans.

The company warned that it may also increase prices on packaged coffee it sells to grocery stores in order to offset the effect of rising Arabica coffee prices, which are near a 13-year high.

But if your regular Starbucks order is a simple tall coffee, you're in luck. The company says the price hikes for its higher-end drinks will help maintain prices for some of its most popular beverages, such as its smallest cup of coffee, which costs $1.50.

Starbucks says that raising some of its prices will allow it to maintain its earnings outlook for fiscal 2011. Last month, the company said that rising commodity prices would force the company to absorb 4 cents a share of profit for fiscal 2011. Starbucks in July reported that its profit for its fiscal third quarter, which ended in June, jumped 37% over the year-ago quarter as same-store sales rose 9%.

Asset Allocation

Learn the most important step in structuring an investment portfolio.

Basics Of The Stock Market

Stock Market 101 - everything you need to know but were afraid to ask!

lfoss2

Stop bitching about the cost of Starbucks! You know how expensive it is. If you don't like paying it, then plain and simple, don't go.

January 18 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
swaggreg

I love it. Coffee finally reaches the same price plateau it reached in 1997, and that becomes an excuse to raise prices. Talk about a ruse. If we were talking about gas, it would be $1.30 a gallon by comparison.

September 25 2010 at 4:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hunter

go ahead starbucks I well never come back in for your coffee again

September 23 2010 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobapia

Starbucks is going to charge more for their "labor intensive" drinks? Give me a frickin' break!! How damned hard is it to pour some milk and push a button?! No more 'Big-Bucks' coffee for me....

September 23 2010 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

Already to damn expensive....we call it five bucks coffee.

September 23 2010 at 9:45 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Tina

My husband and I go to Starbucks daily thats 70 plus dollars a week -that ends today!!!......my kids just left for college so we have more disposable income but I will be damned if they are getting one more peeny from us! Greedy CEOs I will try a new coffee house after work!

September 23 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jgriz2000

no problem; no more starbucks

September 23 2010 at 9:23 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
DAVID

Why not raise the prices on the beverages that use Arabica beans? A venti Mocha Frappucino has NO coffee in it at all according the the Starbucks I use daily. If they raise the price on my drink to offset raising prices on people who are actually drinking Arabica coffee....I'll stop going to Starbucks altogether. This is a STUPID idea! I've been a loyal fan of Starbuck's for years...but this price gouging is getting to be more than I can put up with.

September 23 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Nekima

Coffee at Starbucks $1.50....Jamaican Blue Mountain made at HOME .23 cents. Humm where do you think I'm gonna go. F...Starbucks.

September 23 2010 at 8:07 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
eliza28

Recent reports state the economy is getting better......do you see a problem here. Great news go out and invest in a nice theraml travel cup and coffee pot, then go to your local store buy some fresh ground coffee, and make it at home while getting ready for work not only does it save money it saves time from sitting in the drive thru or parking the car.

September 23 2010 at 7:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply