Each year, obese American men pay an additional $2,646 to carry their extra weight, while women pay a whopping $4,879. That's the surprising result of a new study on the individual cost of obesity released on Tuesday. Overall, the findings suggest that obese women face health-related costs as much as nine-times higher, and men six-times higher, than the costs incurred by individuals who are merely overweight.

The study, by the George Washington University School of Public Health, used indirect costs (such as lost productivity) and direct costs (such as obesity-related medical expenditures) to estimate the price obese men and women pay as a result of being significantly overweight. Those costs increased even more when the study measured the value of early loss of life due to obesity -- the annual cost to women jumped to $8,365 and the cost to men climbed to $6,518.

The study's author, Avi Dor, a professor and the director of George Washington's Health Economics Program believes the costs of obesity may even be higher than the report reveals. Dor said consumer-related costs, such as paying extra for clothing, air travel, automobile size or furniture add to the costs, but cannot be truly quantified. "Anecdotal evidence suggests these costs could be significant," Dor said.

Dor found that direct medical costs, including emergency room visits, pharmaceuticals and in-patient care generally cost more for obese individuals. In fact the study estimates that by 2030, the health care costs attributable to the overweight and obese could account for 16% to 18% of total U.S. health care costs. Annual health care costs in the U.S. are now estimated at $147 billion.

The study also found that obese women lost a higher percentage of income due to work-related issues, such as time lost at work due to lowered productivity and higher absenteeism.

"An individual affected by obesity faces not only high medical-related costs, but also higher non-medical costs, including lost wages due to disability and premature mortality," said Joe Nadglowski, president and CEO of the Obesity Action Coalition. "Given the increasing obesity rates, this report underscores the critical need for a new and more aggressive approach to obesity that considers both prevention and treatment for those 93 million Americans who are already obese."

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

Bonds for Beginners

Learn about fixed income investments.

fjjroldan

STOP EAT

September 22 2010 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thomasva6

dear US muslim president: let these fat slobs pay for their own health insurance.

September 22 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to thomasva6's comment
lordeane334

love this one !!!!!!

September 22 2010 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L R Adams

I’m Hungry now.

September 22 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mesager42

I think that a bunch of Americans should get together and start a mutual healthcare insurance company similar to how State Farm home and auto operates. State Farm is owned by its policyholders. The home and auto insurance part is not traded on Wall Street. State Farm has a separate branch for investors, but not the insurance part. Mutual policy-owned insurers do not go looking for reasons to refuse to pay out when it is needed. I think that the federal government should give out a grant so that people have the option of starting such a company and belonging to it. We've been with State Farm for almost 30 years. We need a healthcare insurance company that operates like State Farm.

September 22 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mesager42's comment
N68Firebird

State Farm operates like this: If you have State Farm insurance, and someone with State Farm insurance runs into your vehicle, State Farm will take a look at who has the most insurance with them, and call the other person at fault, regardless of what actually happened. They have yet to explain to me how our F350 dually diesel crew-cab jumped sideways and managed to hit another truck with its passenger-side door (i.e., our truck was T-boned by the other). State Farm isn't worth crap.

September 22 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mesager42

Again, remember ladies, if you want to save money on jeans and not have to hem them, go shopping in the men's department where women's 8= men's 28, 10=30, 12=32, 14=34, 16=36, 18=38, 20=40, etc. Men's jeans also come in relaxed, boot cut, straight (wider than women's straight so they will still fit over boots.) You can get carpenter jeans with cool pockets for carrying around household cleaning items, gardening tools, places to hang cool bling, or stuff for babies to take some weight out of that diaper bag. I like the extra roominess of men's boxers for sleepwear. I found cool Izod shorts that are more like bermuda shorts. Oh, yes, I do take men's clothing into the ladies dressing rooms. Stores just want to make sales, they could care less about who buys what.

September 22 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mesager42's comment
mesager42

I wonder if they took into account the ages of those in surveyed. The older you get, the more worn out your joints get, regardless of how much you weigh. I was within normal weight limits when I started having knee problems due to all of the running that they had me doing while I was on active duty in the military. Women's body parts are not built to take the same kinds of repetitive stress as males. The body part that requires the most surgery in the military for people within good body weights is the knee joint. Stick that up your survey!

September 22 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mesager42

Women who are not obese pay more money than men who are not obese for clothing. I went shopping for some new jeans. The cheapest jeans that I could find in the women's department was for $35, so I went looking in the men's department for the same size being that an in women's = 28 in mens, 10=30,12=32,etc. and I found men's Chaps jeans on sale for $17.95. I bought four pairs. The great thing is that men's sizes come in various inseams sizes. A inseam length of 30 for me, means no hemming. Isabella Rosalli once said that she shops in the men wear section. I figured that if a model/actress could so could I. That is how I save money. Obese women need to shop smarter. Go to men's wear. They have cool stuff, and you will pay less for it.

September 22 2010 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina

creating stupid studies like this is what is bad for the bottom line......what is making us SICK is blaming every thing some neurotic moron just does not LIKE about other normal people.....VERY TIRED OF HAVEING A NAURTAL ACCURING BODY DIFFERENCE BEING CALL A SICKNESS.................also blaming smoking for every thing else , ( and no I don't smoke )this is most likey generated by peope in the insurance racket and hyped up by people in goverment positons because they LOVE hereing there names and seeing it in print.....people i know just don't listen anymore.....one reason is they all LOVE there alcohol.....lets see if they ever start doing something about that......do the money count and a death count on that....all the bullceap is making me ill......

September 22 2010 at 10:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
B & S MFG

It's too bad that this research is based on others research. Which means that you have no idea what the agenda of the other were and who paid it. The results of this study are tainted. DONT BELIEVE IT.

September 22 2010 at 9:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kv37

I get so tired of hearing how women always bare the brunt of everything in life. Yep, thats right. Women are underpaid and overcharged for being fat. Give me a break. Women need to stop bashing men and stand on your own two feet. Take responsibility for your own actions. Thank you very much.

September 22 2010 at 9:20 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply