President Barack Obama has already made his bestselling mark on the book world, and his reading choices spur sales like those of few people not named Oprah Winfrey. Now, he's moving into a different publishing realm: the world of children's literature.

As the Associated Press reported Monday, Knopf Books for Young Readers, a division of Random House Children's Books will publish Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters on Nov. 16, two weeks after the midterm elections.

Barack Obama's Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My DaughtersThe book, geared towards children ages 3 and up, was written before Obama took office, and is a tribute to 13 groundbreaking Americans, including George Washington, baseball great Jackie Robinson and artist Georgia O'Keeffe. The 40-page book is illustrated by Loren Long, best known for his artwork in The Little Engine That Could by Walter Piper.

"It is an honor to publish this extraordinary book, which is an inspiring marriage of words and images, history and story," Random House Children's Books President and Publisher Chip Gibson said Monday in a statement. "Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters celebrates the characteristics that unite all Americans -- the potential to pursue our dreams and forge our own paths."

Back in 2004, Obama agreed in principle with Random House to write a children's book as part of a three-book deal worth approximately $1.9 million. His multimillion-selling 2006 book The Audacity of Hope arose out of that deal, as did another work of nonfiction that won't appear until the president is out of office.

Of Thee I Sing
will have a 500,000-copy first printing, and all author proceeds will be donated to "a scholarship fund for the children of fallen and disabled soldiers," according to Random House.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

jkennedy806

Why isn't he working on the economy? Why isn't he working on Jobs? Why isn't he looking into moving the country forward for the next two years. I am beginning to think he was a plant or a puppet. I mean Reid, Pelosi and Barney said to him, look we need to stay in power and you don't have to do anything. Just run for President. Hellow Hello I remember you from Sunday

September 15 2010 at 5:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ziegler21wp

Some of the comments posted are just ugly, childish game-playing. For those of you who indulge in this, please get a life and stop wasting our time.

September 15 2010 at 5:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ziegler21wp's comment
Jill

In my opinion it is non-productive to throw rocks at the President by calling him names, insulting his wife, or making fun of his children. If these name-calling and insults are not politically motivated why is it being done. I am a voter, an American and I respect the man who holds the office of President no matter who he is or what party. I resented the man who had the nerve to throw his shoes at our President as I resent this negative spin on Obama. I had and still have respect for Bush because he was the President of this Country and I would never insult a sitting President. Not because I need my eyes opened, but because good or bad the President is the President of the United States Of America the greatest Country in the World with the greatest people in the world. The World is watching us to see how we are handling a Black President and they read our News and listen to our comments. We are either Great, love Democracy, respect all Americans are we are not. This negative- spin on everything the President does is not American, or is it. We have never been snakes in the grass we have always in the past stood behind the Presidency no matter what. We have had adulters, liars, crooks and every type of Man but we respected the office they held. Do not destroy democracy merely because your party did not win, the other party can do the same thing. Let the American Spirit show now, we American need stand up and show the World that we believe what we try to preach to the entire world. Democracy works and that we live by One-man One- vote and the majority rules, (For perhaps eight years and then we pull out the stops.) Let us try to be Americans it is not hard pretend that the office of the President is important, pretend that we American respect our form of government and that it works and we respect it. Can we please wait for the election to throw our rocks.

September 15 2010 at 4:31 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Jill's comment
andrc657

We cannot conclude that all (or any) of the racist posts seen here are written by members of the tea party but many people assume they were.

September 15 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to andrc657's comment
gmydogbud

That our President has time to write a book in between vacationing is amazing!

September 15 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gmydogbud's comment
Randy

Is there really going to be a Vacation Czar?

September 15 2010 at 4:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ziegler21wp

I don't think you read the article carefully. He wrote the book BEFORE he became President as part of a three book contract he entered into 15 years ago.

September 15 2010 at 5:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Will

Oh boy, I wonder of he will choose FDR as one of them, you know , the guy that claimed from 1933 until Pearl in 1941 that Japan and Germany were no threat to American interests (we lost 475,000 Americans and over 55 million people were killed in total). To top it off, FDR oversay 9 years of continued depression as he experimented with various economic control systems and made park benches few have ever sat in.

September 15 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will's comment
ziegler21wp

OK, Will. I don't know where you learned American history but here is another way to assess the situation.First, we need to put FDR's position in context. We had recently experienced the horrors of WWI and the flu epidemic of 1918 and were gripped by the Great Depression of 1929 that followed an economic boom (sound familiar?) Most of the country were "isolationists", particularly the Republicans who had control of the White House, the Congress and the Supreme Court for more than a decade before FDR was elected in 1932. He realized sooner than anyone else that despite Congressional opposition to joining England in the fight against the Nazis that he had to find a way to help. In 1940 -as England was threatened- he created a program called "Lend-Lease" to provide military equipment, planes etc. Without it and other measures, it was highly likely that Hitler's Germany (the true Evil Empire) would have occupied England and all of Europe. As to his economic policy he did too little government spending after the initial push-not too much. In 1937 we were threatened by a double-dip Depression; FDR took action that managed to avoid that disaster but not the slowing down of the recovery because the country did not want more government spending. So we remained economically stagnant until WWII when we had to retool our factories and hire workers to provide the tanks, planes, guns etc. essential to beating Hitler.

September 15 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

FROM THE QUEEN: For only the second time in my adult life, I am not ashamed of my country. I want to thank the hard working American people for paying $242 thousand dollars plus additional expenses for my vacation in Spain . My daughter Sasha, several long-time family friends, my personal staff and various guests had a wonderful time. Honestly, you just haven't lived until you have stayed in a $2,500.00 per night suite at a 5-Star luxury hotel. We only booked 70 rooms for our friends, staff and family. Thank you also for the use of Air Force 2 and the 70 Secret Service personnel who tagged along to be sure we were safe and cared for at all times. Air Force 2 only used 47,500 gallons of jet fuel for this trip and carbon emissions were a mere 1,031 tons of CO2. It costs only $11,500 per hour to operate Air Force 2 and each additional plane for the other members of our party group. These are only rough estimates, but they are close (who's counting?). That's quite a carbon footprint as my good friend Al Gore would say, so we must ask the American citizens to drive smaller, more fuel efficient cars and drive less too, so we can lessen our combined carbon footprint. I know times are hard and millions of you are struggling to put food on the table and trying to make ends meet. I do appreciate your sacrifice and do hope you find work soon. I was really exhausted after Barack took our family on a luxury vacation in Maine a few weeks ago. I just had to get away for a few days. Will write more from Martha's Vineyard where we will spend our sixth vacation this year with more of our family and friends. Cordially, Queen, M. Obama

September 15 2010 at 3:57 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
relay391

IF HE NEEDS TO SPEND MORE MONEY AND CREATE JOBS--WHY DOESN'T HE HIRE PEOPLE TO PROTECT OUR BORDERS AND FINISH THE DARN WALL. THAT WOULD SAVE US MONEY. THEN WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO SPEND ALL OF OUR TAX MONEY ON TAKING ALL THE ILLEGALS TO COURT AND KEEP THEM UP IN PRISONS. AND FOR THE ONES THAT DON'T GET CAUGHT--WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO SPEND ALL OUR TAX MONEY ON THEIR HEATHCARE.

September 15 2010 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Randy

Did anyone else hear the rumor that O'Baama wants to hire 16,000 government Mattress Police?

September 15 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Randy's comment
GERRY

HOW DOES HE HAVE THE TIME TO WRITE A CHILDREN'S BOOK, SHOULDN'T HE BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT RUNNING THE COUNTRY. THIS IS SOMETHING HE CAN DO WHEN HE IS NOT VOTED PRESIDENT AGAIN. I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS JUST TOOOOOOO MUCH, NO WONDER WERE STILL IN A MESS. EVERY MINUTE OF HIS TIME IN OFFICE SHOULD DEVOTED TO GETTING THE ECONOMY BACK ON TRACK AND JOBS FOR THOSE OF US WHO NEED THEM. ENOUGH OF THE BS MR. PRESIDENT.

September 15 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to GERRY's comment
rmassahos

He isn't writing it just like he doesn't write any of his speeches. I wonder if he wipes his own ass.

September 15 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
jdsept

Learn to read. The article states it was written BEFORE he became President. Perhaps it might be a good book for YOU to start on as too understanding what you read.

September 15 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply