iPhone 4Consumer Reports still isn't recommending Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 4 as the company "has quietly discontinued its free-case program for the iPhone 4 effective October 1."

Back in July, Consumer Reports made big headlines when it decided not to recommend Apple's new iPhone because of its antenna problems, especially for lefties. Following the ensuing brouhaha, which was nicknamed "antennagate", Apple said it would give free cases with the iPhone 4 to alleviate the problem for some consumers.

Consumer Reports says the technology giant will still provide a case to the "small percentage" of buyers who will need one due to the phone's "antenna attenuation issue."

But this offer is less consumer-friendly in several respects, Consumer Reports says. "[P]utting the onus on any owners of a product to obtain a remedy to a design flaw is not acceptable to us. We therefore continue not to recommend the iPhone 4, and to call on Apple to provide a permanent fix for the phone's reception issues."

Understanding Stock Market Indexes

What does it mean when people say "the market is up 2%"?

Professional Vs Do it Yourself Investing

Should you get advice or DYI?

mrpushrod1

themanindbox just imagine how many more miles you could get out of the much more reliable (according to most all surveys) Ford Fusion which is also safe to drive. As far as the Iphone goes, I would have to agree if you want reception and voice quality Verizon & Moto droid is the only way to go. Love my Droid and Verison is tops for coverage

September 15 2010 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
themanindbox

I feel for the people who buy the phone and dont realize how terrible the service is. I had ATT for 15 years. It was the best at the begining, but ATT did not take notice at how much bandwidth usage there was needed to really accomodate the Iphone users. Where i have a feeling there may be an issue with the phone, i doubt it is completely the phone and more the network. If you are in the north east all i can do is wish you the best of luck..

September 15 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I totally agree. I'm an iphone owner, whle I love it now, my first phone had a constant no SIM error. Had it replaced at Apple store for free, but since I got my phone at AT&T they wouldn't refund me for my case. The "free" case is just now coming in, more than 2 months after I bought the phone. It isn't right for owners to bear the financial burden of a faulty design that they had no idea of before buying the phone. I know it's downright frivolous, but I bet a lawsuit will come out of it. I AM happy with my phone now regardless of the whole antenna problem.

September 15 2010 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrpushrod1

If Apple was one of Consumer Reports big three (Nissan, Honda, Toyota), then Consumer Reports would automatically recommend it. After all, Consumer Reports highly recommended the Toyota Corolla even though consumers of the Corolla are trying to sue Toyota over the dangerous light and vague steering. Consumer reports flagged the light and vague steering but still recommended it.

September 14 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mrpushrod1's comment
themanindbox

230K miles on my corolla, i would recommed it too, even if you had to steer with a string..

September 15 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

So you noticed that obvious bias too? I agree. It seems that no matter what the problems are,in the end, CR always ends up recommending those three.

September 15 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply