Convenience-store chain 7-Eleven offered $40 a share, or $2.03 billion, to acquire competitor Casey's General Stores (CASY), topping a hostile bid made months earlier by Canada's Alimentation Couche-Tard (ATD.B), according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.

Casey's said Tuesday that it received an unsolicited bid on Sept. 2 from an unnamed suitor, which was sufficient to enter into negotiations, the WSJ reported. Shares in Casey's spiked more than 2% before the final bell, but closed up just 38 cents, or less than 1%, at $43.14.

Casey's stock is up more than 30% since mid-March, while Couche-Tard has gained about 7%. The 7-Eleven chain is part of privately held Seven-Eleven Japan Co.

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

Investing Like Warren Buffett

Learn from one of the world's best investors.

abenzrite

well, the coffee sucks, thats for certain,,,

September 10 2010 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

7-11 japan????????????? well, i didn't know that. it is enough that half or more of the cars in the U.S. are jap. 7-11 won't be seeing me again. there are more convenience stores than 7-11. buy American, this may be one of times you actually can.

September 09 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Shirley

7-11 is ripping the franchise purchasers off. Numbers reported are not actual numbers (inflated) and I know personally that good store merchandise is being thrown out in dumpsters when a corp. store is about to change hands to a franchise owner, at least that is how it is in Central FL 7-11 treats their employees poorly and are not much better toward the franchise owners. It will be sad to see Circle-K be taken over by 7-11. I avoid 7-11 every chance I can and encourage others to do the same!

September 09 2010 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Shirley

September 09 2010 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
littlecitypunk

Who goes to 7/11 and what do they have. Every time I have been there maybe twice in 2 years. I just cant understand how they make money.

September 09 2010 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to littlecitypunk's comment
captaincvfd

Its The Slurppys Dude

September 09 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KEEF

There go's the caseys pitza which is better than most pitza parlors like papa johns !!!!!

September 09 2010 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
what the fuck

Couche-Tard is the owner of Circle K corp.

September 09 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pllc15

Seven-11 owned by the Japanese with more outlets worldwide than McDonalds with 38,000. The U.S. company was bailed out from bankruptcy by their Japanese franchisee in 1987 after the stockmarket crash, I remember. Fate has its ironic moments.

September 09 2010 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

7-Eleven has $2 billion dollars??? I wonder what a Slurpee costs these days!

September 09 2010 at 11:19 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
twolfe

A fter 32 years in the C-store business I have seen companys come and go. I think it is time for 7-11 to go. When you franchise to type of people the do your stores will be nothing but s--tholes.We can only blame are selves because we are stupid enough to shop in them!

September 09 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply