Mark HurdOracle's Larry Ellison is standing by his man, ex-Hewlett-Packard CEO Mark Hurd. Ellison, who was highly critical of HP's board of directors for showing Hurd the door over a seemingly minor expense-report infraction -- which came to light after a sexual-harassment charge that was later dropped -- has hired his friend to become one of Oracle's co-presidents.

In a press release, Oracle (ORCL) Chairman Ellison said: "Mark [Hurd] did a brilliant job at HP [HPQ] and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle. There is no executive in the IT world with more relevant experience than Mark." Oracle already had two co-presidents, Charles E. Phillips Jr. and Safra A. Catz, but Philips is resigning, according to The New York Times.

Catz laid out a warm welcome for the incoming co-president, saying in a statement: "I look forward to working with him for years to come. As Oracle continues to grow we need people experienced in operating a $100 billion business."

Portfolio Basics

What are stocks? Learn how to start investing.

Investor’s Toolbox

Improve your investing savvy with the right financial toolset.

alfredschrader

I found a sophisticated trojan on my computer that I traced back to Oracle.

September 08 2010 at 5:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
geraldr5

Well, I guess the Looney Tunes directors at Hewlett-Packard showed him!!! They got rid of one of America's most brilliant CEOs over a minor expense account matter and lo and behold, one of America's most brilliant corporations picked him up. Congratulations, H-P. Another significant blunder!!!

September 07 2010 at 11:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to geraldr5's comment
rcheid

How "brilliant" do you have to be, to make the books look good by firing experienced, well-paid employess and replacing them with foreigners getting paid pennies on the dollar and THEN cutting the BASE salary of those who are left? This idiot is NOT brilliant! he's a charlatan and I can only feel sorry for all those employees at Oracle who are about to lose their jobs, because I can GUARANTEE that's what will happen next.

September 07 2010 at 5:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
linjack39

Why is it that these dishonest, unethical, highly paid people always land on their feet? Yet, the honest, ethical common person is struggling to find work. I guess it's all in who you know. You know, all those other dishonest, unethical highly paid upper echelon individuals. I'm surprised some Wall Street company didn't scoop him up.

September 07 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Every time I hear the name "Oracle," I have a negative reaction to this company. Oracles belong to the Wicked, and even the Holy Bible warns against them. "Now when this people or the prophet or a priest asks you saying, 'What is the oracle of the Lord?' then you shall say to them, "What oracle?' The Lord declares 'I shall abandon you.' (Jeremiah 23:33) It also references 'oracle' to Balaam and Babylon, and we all know they meccas of pagan heathens! Call me crazy, but it won't be the first time, and it won't be the last time I've heard it!

September 07 2010 at 11:04 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
realrambo

WELL DONE . the HYPOCRITES at HP board must be fumming .

September 07 2010 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to realrambo's comment
Steve

It's hard to believe that, after months of searching, my son and his friends can't find a job. Then, this pinhead gets fired from his $million+ position and gets hired by his rich buddy right away. What gives?

September 07 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Steve's comment
qyqq

At least his unemployment compensation isn't the Senate.

September 07 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Hi Steve, The fact that this guy Mark got a job with Ellison has nothing to do with your son, and your wining to that fact has me a little bit worried about your son. I hope that this apple did fall far from the tree. With all due respect your comment was totally asinine and irrelevant. I understand the difficult job market that youngsters are experiencing as I have a 18 year old son out there working two jobs. I have spoiled him so far and showed him the good life. Now its his turn to go out there and do it on his own. I am not holding anything against anyone who has connections to advance himself and neither should you. I'm sure that Mark (not a pinhead ) is highly qualified for the job as Larry is no dummy. I must also say that "we make our own luck" so maybe rather than posting some dumb comment about a talented guy who has connections which payed off for him and maybe you would say that he was lucky...you should use your energy towards helping your son get lucky. Contact some of your friends and see if you can hook him up with a decent job. The law of attraction will get you what you ask for so its time to get positive and let that positive attitude direct your son in a good way. Remember, the law of attraction works both ways good and bad. Good luck to your son I hope that he finds a fantastic job !!!

September 07 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fishlover

they planning it out. Why can the rest of unemployement of american get out find a jobs rather stay unemploye collect unemploye. that funny.

September 07 2010 at 9:43 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fishlover's comment
wwp2003

You're an idiot!

September 07 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
willi149s

the rich get richer...the poor get...

September 07 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to willi149s's comment
wwp2003

Screwed!

September 07 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Hello, Jeffrey

Its funny how a working stiff loses his or her job, and it takes months to find anything closely paying the same but these multi-millionaire CEOs get ousted and they a friend standing nearby to bring them right at the top! P.S. What the heck does George Soros has to do with this story. Boy your right-wingnuts are full press with your misinformation machine!

September 07 2010 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I am glad to see that some friends still stand by their friends. I wish both of these men and their company huge profits and successes.

September 07 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jennifer's comment
wwp2003

You're an idiot!! Like either one of these sleaze balls should be respected.

September 07 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply