Do You Sleep with Your Cell Phone? Most Americans Do

Two-thirds of American adults have slept with their cell phones on or right next to their beds. The number rises to over 90% among people ages 18 to 29. Those are some of the conclusions from the huge Pew Internet & American Life Project called "Cellphones and American Adults."

The study also found significant increases in texting and the overall amount of time that Americans spend talking on their cell phones. As might be expected, "cell phone-centric" activity is more prevalent among the young than it is among the middle-aged and older who have mobile phones.

The number of Americans who own a BlackBerry (RIMM), iPhone (AAPL) or other cellular device is up to 82%. That should not be surprising. The combined subscriber bases of Sprint-Nextel (S), Verizon Wireless, and AT&T (T) are now 230 million. Cell phone use may be reaching a saturation point in America.

Men Are Heavier Users

The Pew research shows that adults who use texting receive a median of 10 texts a day. The number rises to 50 a day for teenagers. Five percent of adult texters send 200 texts per day. Heavy texters, those who send and receive more than 50 a day, are also heavier users of voice features on their phones.

Other results show that the average phone user makes five calls a day. Men are slightly more likely to make calls than are women.

It is perhaps not unexpected that 91% of Americans say their cell phones make them feel safer. The devices connect them with the world. Eighty-eight percent say their phones help them stay in touch with family and friends. There may not be much that's extraordinary in the 42-page report, especially to those of us who watch others text and talk on their phones all day -- except perhaps that most of those people sleep with their phones, too.

The report is based on the findings of a daily tracking survey on Americans' use of the Internet and data from phone interviews conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International between April 29 and May 30, 2010, among a sample of 2,252 adults, age 18 and older.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

bfreeman36

Wow, this is frightening. The electromagnetic radiation from your cell phone is dangerous. It is scary to think of so many people sleeping close to their phones, especially if the phones are near their heads. I am concerned we'll have an epidemic of neurological disorders and brain cancers in the near future because of this. I keep my phone as far away from my body as I can when I'm not using it. "At the highest exposure levels -- using a mobile phone half an hour a day over a 10-year period -- the study found a 40 percent increased risk of glioma brain tumors. With adjustments for statistical biases, that turned into 80 percent." - recent study on cell phone use as reported by CNN.com Your phone sends out signals every few minutes to check for messages, etc. Over the course of one night, this probably adds up to more than half an hour. That means your risk of tumors is higher.

September 07 2010 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rikraff

I sleep with mine near me. But I use it as my alarm clcok. As long as it's charged, it's more reliable. http://wireless.amazon.com/?tag=rikraffmusicn-20

September 04 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elnpet

I don.t have a cell phone so just imagine I can sleep just good.. No telemarketers. No foolish disturburbestances. My children are grown and we talk every day so they know things are just fine. Have security bells to pull if any thing happens to me while alone. My life is quiet and very enjoyabe. Went to the beach with my niece last thursday to beat the croud. Have a wonderful family who watch over me. See what goes around comes around. I was good to them so they are good to me. Who needs a cell phone ?

September 04 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeffmathis39

My cell phone is on 24 hours a day and right by my side in case the one true love of my life calls and needs me there with her. She left a year and a half ago today and i pray one day she will find her way back home. My cell phone is my last piece of hope.

September 04 2010 at 5:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jeffmathis39's comment
elnpet

She left a year ago and you are still waiting for her to call you ? Is this a girl or a cat ? you are wasting your time man. Get on with life and find some one who wants you. She suredoes not. This is not your soul mate or she would never havve left. Go find your soul mate and stop wasting precious time. Good luck. Meant with love. Life is short.

September 04 2010 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
netside2

I have to agree with those who say they use their phones as an alarm clock. My cell phone not only stays by my beside as a alarm clock but it serves a dual purpose as flashlight when I get up during the night. So, yep, it often makes its way into the bathroom too. Of course, its a good thing to have close to you in case of an emergency, a quick call to 911 could save your life.

September 04 2010 at 5:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hope

cell phones also have ALARMS. So yes, cell phones are always near the bed.. and yes that's also where we keep the charger.

September 04 2010 at 1:22 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
magyymae1

The only phone I have is my cellphone so of course I keep it on and beside me. that is also where the charger is. If one of my family members needed me during the night I would want to get the call just like I would on a landline!

September 04 2010 at 12:50 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Chet

I sleep with a gun. The cell phone is off.

September 04 2010 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jodie32364

We have them turned on sitting next to our beds on the night stand because more and more people no longer use a land line. It's the same thing as having a regular land line phone sitting on your night stand.

September 04 2010 at 12:27 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply