Young single women are earning more than their male peers in metropolitan areas around the U.S., according to an analysis of Census Bureau data released Wednesday by Reach Advisors, a consumer-research firm in Slingerlands, N.Y., The Wall Street Journal reported.

While women in general and at every education level still earn far less than men, younger women have jumped ahead of their male counterparts. For example, between 2006 and 2008, the median salary for a woman with a bachelor's degree was 33% lower than the salary of a man with the same degree: $39,571 compared to $59,079. But single, childless women between the ages of 22 and 30 earned on average 8% more than men in that age range in most U.S. cities in 2008.

This trend, which was identified several years ago in the country's biggest metropolises, has now broadened to smaller cities and more industries, especially in areas with blue-collar hubs and growing areas with large immigrant populations.

The shift is being driven by growth in the percentages of women compared to men who attend college and move on to high-earning jobs, The Wall Street Journal said. Between 2006 and 2008, 32.7% of women between 25 and 34 had a bachelor's degree or higher, compared with 25.8% of men. Meanwhile, men have been disproportionately hit by heavy job losses in blue-collar industries.

Atlanta boasted the greatest disparity in pay, with young, childless women paid 121% of what their male counterparts earn, according to Reach Advisors. But that's still far less than the 150% of women's pay that men with bachelor degrees were getting.

The trend might offer some hope that one day, the gender gap in pay could disappear, but as the report points out, women's wages tend to stagnate after they give birth. Until that changes, and until the glass ceiling is eliminated, giving women something close to parity with men in high-level positions, this small slice of data is unlikely to be indicative of a larger, penetrating trend.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Eve

All of these comments would be easier to read if there were paragraph breaks, but apparently the system is removing them. (removed mine)

September 02 2010 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eve

I am shocked at all the mysogyny posted in these comments. I do think there is something wrong afoot, but it's not caused by some kind of female conspiracy or liberal conspiracy. I believe there is a fundamental problem in the education system regarding boys. Sure, there has been some movement toward making education better for girls, but I don't think that explains the problem. I think it's just the basic lack of education funding that has gone on for a long time now, and is a cummulative loss for children. Boys are much more affected because girls are better suited for the classroom - they are wired to please people, and they don't have the figity problem or attention-span issues that boys have. So when class sizes got larger and positions were cut for extra-curricular reading programs, boys were more adversely affected than girls. (It's also possible that funding cuts have lowered salaries to the point that teachers are of much lower quality, as a group, than in the past.) My daughters were/are fine with the large classes and strict rules of their parochial school, but my son was not. In public school he was just passed along even though he wasn't at grade level and I knew it and tried vainly to have something done about it. I have quite a few friends who are stunned that their sons are not going to college or, worse, drop out of HS while the sisters are doing fine. And don't get me started on the number of boys I know who are on medicine! On an overnight class field trip, a teacher confided in me that there are more boys ON medicine than not! So, while I am happy that women are making gains, I think there is major calamity coming behind this small measurement change; a tsunami of under-prepared men coming of age.

September 02 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eve's comment
jay.obrian

You say **** like "i think it's great women are doing good I can't see any problems!" Then literally list the problems boys face in school. Mainly being ignored in the class room. Even your own ******* son! "I sure am glad women are making gains even though they are completely ignoring my son! derp." The reason boys are on meds is because teachers (mostly young women) don't know how to deal with young boys rough and tumble nature. I've never said this to another human being in my life but...I hate you. I hate everything about you I hope you die in a car wreak...

August 12 2013 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamaquila

Wake up everybody, don't you see this is only a smaller problem of a much much larger one. One that will eventually destroy this country. One of the greatest threat to this country's national security is the ultra left-wing liberal news media. They, with the power of television, with tell you what's right and wrong. They will use the power of television to superimpose their Will upon others (their enemies) while protecting or providing a safe-haven for others (their friends.) In the last 20 years or so, these people: feminists; activists; homo/bisexuals; athiests; etc. have been able to change American society's values and way of life through the liberal media as the catalyst for change. Their mission: to "destroy" the white, hetrosexual, religious, honest/hard-working, family-value males that our Great Country was founded on. Stay tuned to your local news, because soon they will tell you George Washington was really black or gay or a transvestite. I'm certainly not saying that life was perfect in the past, but if you look back in human history, you will find that life progressed very well without the above influences of today's so called modern society. Today, these "militant" liberal groups will use our government to pass laws to correct what they believe are the social injustices of the past (eg. affirmative action, ERA amendment, gay marriages, etc.) These people with their powerful weapon of television news are ruining the fabric of traditional American values. They portray themselves as "for the people," anti-corporate, anti-capitalists, but in reality they are only out for themselves. They will sit and preach to you to "do as they say, not as they do" When I was a teenager, a wise woman once said to me that I should, "believe nothing of what I hear and half of what I see" and I should be ok in life. Well, as an adult, I realize she was right, but not completely. I would say to young people today that you should believe nothing of what you hear and only 1% of what you see and you maybe ok in life. If the powers that be continue to elevate one group of society over another, they are only sowing their own destruction. We should be seeking the best from people of all walks of life without biases or injustice to one "group" over another. We shouldn't segment society into different groups such as gender, race, ethnicy, sexuality, etc. and then seek to benefit one group over another as does left-wing liberals and their TV news "weapon." This is just a legalized form of nepotism at the expense of others. Looking back through history, living in a Capitalistic Democracy where hard work is rewarded has benefited all society in general. It is the story of human civilization that hard work has reaped rewards and furthered the next generation. Today, some people will make you believe lazy people and repeat criminals should recieve entitlements from those who are honest and work hard for themselves and their families. I realize I am posting this on a liberal news medium and it may be deleted. It only further reinforces what I've written.

September 02 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

With the anti-male bias in education, business, healthcare, and legal system that is prevalent in America, why would this be news? It was bound to happen eventually. Our society babies women. How many homeless women do you see in the streets vs. men? How many casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan have been women vs. men? I could go on and on. You talk about a glass ceiling, but women also have a glass floor.. they are not permitted to fail beyond a certain point either. What's surprising to me is that I still read the same BS about how hard women have it in this article, even in light of this news. Seriously, why shouldn't women's salaries stagnate after they give birth and aren't working as hard at their careers as before? Glass ceiling? Those jobs are also closed off to 99% of MEN, too, because they weren't born to rich enough parents. BS article but the facts therein aren't surprising to me.

September 02 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ljack

Wow... I love it. Now no more long faces, bad attitudes, manipulation, withholding sex, and "you make more than me" excuses for not: taking men on vacations, paying your own traffic tickets, buying gifts men, clothes, dinners, lunches, overnight getaways, making car payment, rent, gas, car repairs, mortgage, engagement rings, and drinks. No more free “ladies night” free drink nights “ladies get in free night” electric bills, cell phone bills, cable bills, and out-of-town shopping sprees. She no longer has to hide money, credit card statements, price tags on extra shoes and clothes hidden in the back of “her” closet. I no longer have to save every cent for house hold items, weddings, and accessories to make her happy, she can help pay for the honeymoon, she can buy herself flowers, take her friends out with her money, pay for her own spas, pedicures, manicures, and hair. Child support payment can now be reasonable for men, no more 100 million dollar payouts because you met her, no more alimony, or palimony. And no more pathetic excuses that "That men are supposed to treat the ladies on the first date."

September 02 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ljack's comment
Paul

Good luck with all that.

September 02 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eve

It seems to me women have already been doing all that for a while. Unless you make a lot more than your wife - enough that it makes more sense for her to stay-at-home, she is probably doing all of that, PLUS the housecleaning, laundry and raising the kids.

September 02 2010 at 3:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eve's comment
jay.obrian

I had to make a ******* account just to tell you have stupid you are. That is a ******* feat.

August 12 2013 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
mesoscopic

This article is meant to be generic regarding women verses men and so what does the woman who took your job who being black have to do with anything? But, if you think that's relevant then you're a closet racist in denial and maybe you should not be a teacher. Women, especially white, have always earned more than black and minority men, and black women earn more than their male counterparts but so what and who's bitching? The premise of this article is really more a statement of the earning power of white men verses women overall excluding minority men and so it was meant to be generic. We are all men and so why also bring race also into this?

September 02 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Ken

This is not news! Women control all of their money and "by law" half or more of any man's money that they choose to hook up with and they own all the pu$$y in the world. How can they keep from being the richest gender. It's been this way forever, certainly nothing new. I can't wait to hear all of the comments from this not so politically correct but true statement. Go ahead girls have at it.

September 02 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Why do people look at this trend as a good thing? This is a horrible situation and the goal of the feminist movement isn't and should have never been to achieve exact parity with men in the work place. It was to allow women who would choose to go that route the opportunity, but women choosing to go that route should not be outnumbering men. That is a gross twisting of our society and the gender roles that each sex is particularly suited to. You want to know why crime is so bad these days? You want to know why the economy is so bad? You want to know why everything is just so bad and twisted these days? Because one role in the 2 role equation has been lost. The female role has been diminished and subsidized by the feminist movement to the point that it is not even considered honorable for a woman to be the mother or to raise the kids anymore. Now you have to have a job, wear the pants, and "be a man" to be a "real woman". Without women filling the role they used to (and I'm sorry, feminists, men are not going to fill that role nor are they as well suited to), then half the equation for raising our youth in a healthy environment is lost. As happy as I am that women have had the opportunity to work alongside men for many decades now, it is still a shame that they are not also being taught the merits of being a mother, a housewife, and just plain being a woman. Playing to the strengths of what a woman is, and not trying so hard to match the strengths of the male brain and body.

September 02 2010 at 11:02 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
cmorrisjac

Since 1966@ there has been an all out assault on the male population. One only has to watch television to see the anti-male bias, the foolish father, the stupid father, the boring father, the absent father. Women have been encouraged by the government to have children young to collect benefits, while their men were run off or jailed. The military has claimed the lives of countless men, but the female dominated media refuses to print the news. Those men who return, often seriously hurt or emotional messes, are discarded from the work force. School has changed to be entirely female oriented, good for me as I have four daughters, but I wonder where will the healthy, strong, men come from to be their partners in life. The fact is I know many more men taking care of the home front than women. The society is so skewed that almost anything male is discredited, even though the current society was built by those men and their fathers. Young women are hired instead of experience men, as they are mindless and won't rock the boat. Which means the accountants now run the business world, not the entrepeneurs who put themselves on the line. I argued this with Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem 45 years ago, but they had already drawn plans with the intent to control the language and dialectic, No Manholes - only personholes, and now we have what their efforts have wrought. During the first 9 days of school my children have already read about women (Hilliary, Eleanor, Sotomayor) but the system has discarded Adams, Jefferson, and Washington. Our country was forged in the crucible of blood tempered with the education and good sense of those who had the most to lose. Now it is the plaything of those who have lived in the shadow of that protection and a life of entitlement which will surely lead to the destruction of the Republic. Congratulations ladies and those fobs who see political profit to be gained.

September 02 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Suzy

Finally: One step for women... One giant leap for women-kind!

September 02 2010 at 10:30 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply