Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) is in talks with media companies regarding a new online subscription service that would let viewers watch TV shows and movies over the Internet.

Amazon has spoken to companies including NBC Universal, Time Warner (TWX) and News Corp., (NWS) The Wall Street Journal reported without naming its sources. Amazon wants to begin by streaming older TV shows and movies.

The move would be a challenge to Netflix Inc (NFLX), which is working to corner the market in online TV and movie watching.

The new Amazon service would be available on a Web browser, or through devices like Blu-ray players and the Xbox 360 videogame console. Amazon hopes to launch the new service in time for the holiday season.

Small Cap Investing

Learn now to invest in small companies the right way.

Socially Responsible Investing

Invest in companies with a conscience.

Jeane

PLEEEZE DO!!!!!!!!I WANT to stream INSTEAD of having to do the mail thing...except the only good movies on Netflix are hooked up with the mailing aspect...and BlockBuster is per view....Can we please get affordable streaming that is current and varied? THANKYOU

September 02 2010 at 11:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tc

Glad to hear Amazon joining the "future of TV". I prefer older movies, Netflix has so few and charges too much. I would prefer sitting through a couple commercials and watch free.

September 02 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ginger10487

I HAVE NETFLEX AND I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH THEM I ALWAYS HAVE A MOVIE I GET 8 AT A TIME AND THEYHAVE MOVIES FROM THE PAST AND PRESENT I LOVE THE ENGLISH DETECTIVE STORIES.I HAD BLOCKBUSTER FOR AWHILE AND GOT RID OF THEM VERY DISATISFIED.

September 02 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I don't want to watch movies or TV on my computer. I've done it once or twice, and it just wasn't comfortable.

September 02 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pat's comment
glisle

do you also bang two rocks together to make fire? Most newer tvs are becoming internet connected. This is going to be the future of home entertainment-the public will not be at the mercy of broadcast schedules!

September 02 2010 at 5:07 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
joyemays

I wont buy anything from Amazon. They treat there sellers horribly.

September 02 2010 at 2:28 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
dcgrantier

I currently have access to both Netflix and Amazon. I have used neither for months. Great summer shows have kept me entertained ~ thank goodness for DVR! I don't think I need either service anymore as DIRECTV on DEMAND is going to be hooked up next week for FREE...and with Fall TV beginning the week of Sept 19 or so... I think that will be plenty to keep me busy. I do like Netflix and Amazon both, but there is only so many hours available for TV viewing. I am looking forward to hunkering down for the winter and watching some great shows and movies!

September 02 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dcgrantier's comment
kara

"blah blah blah, i am addicted to TV. blah blah, im high and mighty, blah blah, my tv makes all my decisions for me cuz im a puppet blah blah" find something to do outside buddy

September 02 2010 at 11:04 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Netflix corner the market? On What? 10 year old reruns? The TV they offer is very old and out of daye. It's no asset. I have found, overall, Netflix's movie and online selections to be highly overrated. Yes, they have a lot to choose from, if you like 20 - 30 year old movies and shows. Yawn!

September 02 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
wikathie

I've watched new releases on Netflix. I'm not a big tv/movie watchers so I can't say that I've watched a ton of new releases, but I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo just after it was released. They do carry a lot of old stuff, but so does Blockbusters. We love Netflix.

September 02 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
gigglesx2335

I would rather get my movies from netflix than anyother place. I love netflix because I have four family members that use it.

September 02 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
kara

F amazon - Netflix will always be superior to any service amazon could ever produce. Yes, Ill keep netflix and FREE HULU as well.

September 02 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply