Turnover is probably a good thing for a magazine as sclerotic and outmoded as Newsweek, and there's been turnover aplenty in the weeks since audio equipment mogul Sidney Harman bought the failing title from the Washington Post Co. (WPO). But as the talent drain continues -- Michael Hirsh is the latest out the door, following top editor Jon Meacham, Fareed Zakaria, Evan Thomas and Mark Miller, among others -- the nagging question remains: Can anyone get this thing pointed in the right direction -- assuming there is a right direction?

Just how rooted Newsweek is in the last century is evident from the list of names that have been floated as potential successors to Meacham. Candidates proposed so far range from former Time editor Walter Isaacson, who says he's not interested, to Slate group editor Jacob Weisberg, to my own not-particularly-imaginative suggestion, New York editor and awards-magnet Adam Moss.

Recent Buzz: Tina Brown

The loudest buzz, not surprisingly, has centered on the Queen of Buzz herself, Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and Talk. Brown "has thrown her hat into the ring," according to FishbowlNY, although she protests she has "no intention of leaving" the Daily Beast, the news website she started two years ago with Barry Diller's money. Brown's a dab hand at modernizing antique media brands, but she's less adept at pushing them from the red into the black, which is something Newsweek is going to need before long.

Taking the job would also involve a considerable climbdown from her considering how noisily she's been declaiming her relief at being out of the passe world of print publishing. "I have to say I would hate to have to be in the magazine world right now," she said in 2008, shortly after launching the Beast. "The massive apparatus of putting out a magazine is just so onerous...I think I'd be handicapped if I was linked to a magazine."

"I love print and I'm so sad to see it all kind of collapsing, but I do believe that things will regroup in a different shape," she told Daily Intel around the same time.

Assuming Brown is sincere about her desire to stay out of print, it's no loss. What Newsweek needs is new blood, not a retread. If and when they find the right person, you'll know it, because it'll be someone whose name you've never heard.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

How Financial Planners go Grocery Shopping

Learn to shop smart and save.

pubsch12

it could not happen to a better left wing lying magazine hope its sooner than later. time mag will be right behind you

August 31 2010 at 9:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MSmailbox

If Newsweek really does go down (way down), I might act as a "White Knight" and buy the magazine, myself. I used to read it in the sixties and I liked it, back then. I would be willing to bid $3,000 for the entire operation, so long as it has no liabilities. I would merely like to play editor-in-chief, just like Perry White... "Great Caesar's Ghost, Jimmy! Can't you write anything better about our President? Who wants to read this fluff, about Sarah Palin?"

August 31 2010 at 6:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lachaps

Who the hell wants to read your liberal dogma. Diversity!!!!!! Get in touch with America. You guys don't even have a clue do you.

August 31 2010 at 5:12 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
gem10s

I cancelled my subscription to NEWSWEEK after several weeks of their kissing President Obama in every issue. The polls of the average American regarding Obama is totally disregarded by this soon to be "former magazine".

August 31 2010 at 4:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rollandcar

The last thing I remember about "Newsweek" was that Editor Evan Thomas had killed Michael Isikoff's (would have been) scoop on the Paula Jones/Bill Clinton "liason". Polical Correctness has weakened honest news reporting. Cable TV is no better (Dyslan Ratigan excepted).

August 31 2010 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
muenft

This is what happens to any magazine that becomes a liberal rag. Everyone knows it not fair in its reporting but rather a mouthpiece for the liberal pupet masters. Newsweek will go the way of the buggy whip unless obama take a few tax payer billions and does the same thing he has done for the unions and his other cronies. Newsweek has a great future in the outhouses of the rural America.

August 31 2010 at 1:05 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
davsarmor

May Newsweek's passing be swift and merciful. It's a terrible magazine and it's demise is evidence that no one cares.

August 30 2010 at 11:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
irishdannyk007

The national news media is so badly compromised and brainwashed it is irrelevant. People can find the facts they need on the Net. And the masses can escape the smoke and mirrors nightmare by watching TV the opium for their brains.

August 30 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to irishdannyk007's comment
ingfp

Amen and hope the piece of toilet paper goes under for falsely reporting the TRUTH

August 30 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
marine1942

Hillary Clinton is the only person to save the rag. Her tough talk has N. Korea and Iran shaking and Haiti will be blessed with her visits also. Obama better be careful.

August 30 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply