Ford Recalls 575,000 Minivans for Axle Problem

Ford WindstarFord Motor (F) said Friday it is voluntarily recalling 575,000 Windstar minivans produced from September 1997 through February 2003 to replace axles that may crack after exposure to road salt, possibly resulting in a crash.

In a "very small number of cases," Ford said in a statement, axles have fractured in certain locations on the right or left side and affected vehicle handling.

The recall applies to high-mileage models registered in 21 cold-weather states, the District of Columbia and Canada where road-salt corrosion is more common, Ford said. The automaker said it will soon notify affected owners to bring their vehicles to a local dealer for inspection and necessary repairs.

The repair involves reinforcing the axle with additional parts. If it's determined the axle can't be reinforced, Ford said, the axle will be replaced as soon as parts are available. The company will provide rental vehicles for customers until the rear axle of their vehicle has been replaced, it said.

In May, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened a preliminary evaluation into broken rear axles on 1999–2003 Windstars. At the time, the agency said it had received 234 complaints, including two reports of accidents. Production of the Windstar ceased in 2003.

At its website, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the recall involves 462,750 Windstar models in the U.S. The agency said the recall is expected to begin no later than Sept. 27.

States affected by the recall are: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

wcwjrw1

When will Ford get around to notifying current and /or prior owners?

October 09 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thelonelyone1851

Nissan Quest is the basis for the Mercury Villager (a former Edsel name),the Quest is a Maxima platform. Ford Windstar/FreeStar is Taurus based. Chrysler built the VW Routan,nothing for GM or Ford. Ford and GM are now out of the minivan business.....they couldnt build a minivan to save their souls,gave up,and push crossovers now... This leaves Nissan Quest,KIA Sedona,Honda Odyssey (a former go kart name),Toyota Sienna,and Chrysler T&C/Dodge Grand Caravan as the remaining minivans.

August 28 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mingo

How come we do not see the GM recalls in big print. They had to recall 1.3 million must be they are special or no one wants to talk bad about the Obama Motor Company

August 28 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
youfuckinpothead

what if you are not the original, 1st owner of a windstar, will you still get a recall notice? My 03 has 68000 miles and no probs. I purchased it in 03 with about 40000 miles. The freestar, started in 04 is the reason they quit on mini vans as it is junk and ruined the rep. of ford minis. I think they are all FORD made but no doubt my 03 is a copy of toyotas vans. If you cant beat em......

August 28 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
emnemsfds

How about all the people who were in accidents involving a Windstar for whom this information was not available??

August 28 2010 at 11:12 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
grouchyklingon

I have a 2002 Windstar and contray to what some are reporting, I have had NO major problems with it.I bought it used from a family member with 38,000 KMs two years ago and it now has almost 97,000 KMs . Useful for hauling people and some cargo when the seats are removed,decent gas milage but a almost 100 litre fuel tank. (4 litres /1 gallon approx.)Expensive here in Canada when the fuel prices reached 1.40/litre before the stock market crashed. As the second owner I received a recall last year for a switch related to the brake system. I assume I will be getting some more mail soon from Ford. Glad they are paying for the fix.

August 28 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rjmjlm711

I have A 2006 ford 500 awd bought new in 2007 72.000 with A cvt transmission in it . The transmission locked right up in it just like the emergency brake was on had it towed to ford refused warranty found out they are have alot of problems with the cvt they wanted $5000.00 to repair it. said no way I went over to the dealer and towed it out of there. I pulled the transmission out going to see what is wrong with it . Ford will not even sell me A service manaul for it? When I find out whats wrong with it, might contac the attorney general.

August 28 2010 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rjmjlm711's comment
JAMES

the cvt is nothing but chains there is nothing to rebuild

August 28 2010 at 11:15 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Henry ptnm

rjmjlm711: When I bought my 2004 Ford Ranger, the only manual they gave me was the owner's manual. If you want to get a service manual, go to any auto parts store like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. The manual is written by Haynes. They got manuals for every make and year of vehicle. I bought my manual just for the 2004 Ford Ranger. My girlfriend owns a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville and I bought a manual just for that type of vehicle.

August 28 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

i think the windstar is part nissan same as quest

August 28 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susie

Republicans believe that loss of life or limb is just a cost of doing business......the GOBP is a Death Panel!!!

August 28 2010 at 8:13 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
GARY

First the foreign companies and now the one domestic company that said no to Obama. It would appear that Government Motors has a perfect record? Right!

August 28 2010 at 5:04 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply