GarminGarmin (GRMN) is recalling 1.25 million personal navigation units because of the potential for fires caused by overheated batteries, the company said Wednesday. Nearly 800,000 of the affected devices were sold in the U.S., it said.

Garmin, the U.S.'s largest maker of such navigation products, said the recall applies to its nüvi brand of devices that have batteries supplied by a third party with specific date codes and certain circuit-board designs. The problem has popped up in fewer than 10 cases, and no injuries have been reported, the Switzerland-based company said.

Garmin has set up a website -- www.garmin.com/nuvibatterypcbrecall -- to help consumers determine if their unit is affected. The company urged consumers not to attempt to remove or service the battery on their own. Instead it asked them to return affected units directly to authorized locations.

In its statement, Garmin said it doesn't expect the recall to take a toll on its earnings, noting that the battery supplier has agreed to share the cost of replacement battery packs and all other costs of the recall program.

Personal navigation device sales accounted for about half of Garmin's total revenue in the last quarter, Reuters reported. The recall could affect future sales, which are already in steep decline because of the rising popularity of navigation-enabled smartphones.

Shares of Garmin were down slightly to $26.50 each in late-morning trading on Wall Street. The stock is down nearly 14% so far this year.

Professional Vs Do it Yourself Investing

Should you get advice or DYI?

Income Investing

Grow your nest-egg.

Daleen

I've been happy with my TomTom, though on occasion I do get directions that are in error. I suspect the errors are due to changes to roads, which have not been updated in the TomTom. All in all, it usually gets me to where I want to go, or at least close enough that I can make adjustments and find my way. It also does a good job of rerouting me when I have no choice but to ignore its directions.

August 25 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigjeason9

Use mine all the time, never had any problems. Of course I did read the instructions, sometimes that does help.

August 25 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigjeason9

August 25 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bigjeason9

August 25 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bigjeason9's comment
teedriscoll

Yeah, you told us three times, we get it.

August 26 2010 at 12:25 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tom

We use two of them, no probs with either. Mine has prob saved me a hundred bucks worth of gas getting me to a new destination in this city. Not having to drive around looking for something is great, and definitely a time saver.

August 25 2010 at 8:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jerseygoldhoney

I purchased a Garmin 1490LMT for my wife and vacations. It worked great out to St. Louis from our home in New Jersey. In St. Louis it gave us the wrong directions which ended us wandering around a very dangerous part of the city. Next we were on the Eagle ferry when it announced for us to "leave the ferry" except we we in the middle of the Mississippi. Coming back from Grafton, IL in the night the thing again gave us directions to turn onto a gravel road which would have ended up with us driving off a cliff. The final straw was when we returned home. As we pulled into the driveway the screen went blank and never worked again. Thanks to Staples we did get our money back. Use a road map.

August 25 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cyrosie

What's with the battery makers? There's been problem with phones, computers and this. My husband has a portable oxygen machine that refuses to work after being on for 1 1/2 hours. It has to cool off. Waiting for the same thing to happen. I bet you those batteries are not made in the US. We don't seem to manufacture much anymore.

August 25 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cyrosie's comment
virginia

MADE IN CHINA,THATS WHY!!!

August 25 2010 at 10:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vtmilitia

I've yet to have a map and compass drive me off a cliff and the map has never caught fire unless I was out of newspaper to light the wood stove.

August 25 2010 at 3:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Hi! Roque

I have a MIO gps so far so good.

August 25 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mom and Dad

Mine caught fire when I tried to use it to drive to the Authorized Return Center.

August 25 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply