Dell's Android-Based Aero Smartphone Hits U.S. Shelves

Dell (DELL) said Tuesday its Aero smartphone is now on sale in the U.S. for $99 After months of talk, Dell has its Android-based Aero smartphone to the U.S. with a two-year AT&T (T) contract.

Dell has been selling similar phones in China and Brazil since late last year and has been promising a U.S. version since January.

Dell, one of the world's largest makers of personal computers, has been looking for ways to diversify its business as profit margins on traditional PCs have grown thinner and thinner. Dell also wants to stay relevant as more everyday computing tasks get done on smartphones instead of desktops and laptops.

Is 'Cupcake' Stale or Still a Treat?

The Dell Aero uses an older version of Google's (GOOG) Android operating system than many competing phones on the market today. The Aero uses version 1.5, also called "cupcake," while most phones now use version 1.6 or higher. Dell says it has done a significant amount of work adding features to the base Google system.

The Aero has a 3.5-inch touch screen and a 5-megapixel camera, and it has photo and video editing functions built in. Dell says the Aero can sync with Windows Media Player and music without copy protection from Apple's (AAPL) iTunes.

Dell has a second Android device for sale already through AT&T. The Streak, which costs $300 with a two-year contract or $550 without, has a 5-inch screen. Dell is marketing it as a small tablet computer, but it can also be used as a phone.

Apple's iPhone 4 starts at $199 with a two-year AT&T contract. That's the same price after rebate as the Droid Incredible, made by HTC for Verizon (VZ).

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

Investing Like Warren Buffett

Learn from one of the world's best investors.

Jim

I wouldn't own ANYTHING with a DELL name on it! The only reason they can talk so highly about their customer service is because you will be constantly calling them for help! They add their own "wireless utility" which will stop ISP's from setting up wireless routers unless their utility is disabled and you are forced to call them and pay. DELL = TRASH!! Stick with HP!

August 25 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I want a phone which fits comfortably in my pocket and is a phone. The battery in that goes weak fast enough. I'm just not that important for all the rest of that crap. Oh yeah and I like my under $38 a month for unlimited calling and retarded texting. Thanks cricket. Not one dropped call in several months since I switched. yah, hoooooooooo! My MacBook is plenty else.

August 25 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ndjhdj8

dell sucks

August 25 2010 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rc6b

Has anyone made money on their Dell Stock?

August 25 2010 at 12:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
douginaz

Everyone thinks you are locked into A T & T if you have an I-phone. You can have that I-phone "unlocked" and take it anywhere you want. T-Mobile doesn't require contracts. BEWARE: If you take it to Wireless Toyz, they'd be glad to unlock it, BUT they won't tell you that everyting you have (photos, songs, note: where you might store very pertinent info., everything) WILL BE DELETED. If you have your I-phone completely backed up on I-Tunes, when you connect your new (unlocked) I-Phone to it......it too will be deleted, because it appears to be a totally new (imposter) phone to the system. It can be unlocked without deleting the system. Do research first. Some people feel Wireless Toys has a real snotty attitude for customers who are upset because they were not informed that their phone would be wiped out, after it was handled by them, and they got your money. Almost every major city has telephone experts, and even I-phone experts who know just what to do.

August 25 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
durdenms

I love AT&T. Never had a problem with dropped calls. My bill is the same every month. and if I ever have a question the customer service is fantastic. Cant say all that about Sprint or Verizon, as I have had phones both of them and cancelled both contracts.

August 25 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tator70

YEA AT&T I LIVE IN A RUAL AREA FOR 4 YEARS I HAVE TO DRIVE TO GET SERVICE WAS GLAD MY CONTRACT RAN OUT I,M LOOKING A VERIZON THERE A TOWER WITH IN 3 MILES OF ME I,M CHANGING

August 25 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
tator70

August 25 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
bk2ftr

why doesn't AT & T use all the money that they get from their exclusive contracts with the iphone and now this dell to actually improve their service so their are even close to the reliability of verizon. I unfortunately cannot switch because their is simply very spotty signal where I live for AT & T.

August 25 2010 at 10:33 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

Its really weird, years ago maybe ten AT&T was run off because they were monopolizing all the business, but they have come back with a vengeance taking over everything including cable, is this because they threw such a big party for the dems before Obama was elected??????

August 25 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Phyllis's comment
durdenms

How do idiots like you always find a way to bring your stupid political views into every discussion. This has absolutely NOTHING to with your retarded political views. Take that garbage to a CNN chat room you loser.

August 25 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply