Student loan horror stories: What's the worst that can happen?

Student loan horror stories: What's the worst than can happen?With $830 billion in student loans outstanding in America, mounting student loan debt is increasingly wreaking havoc on the lives of U.S. college graduates and dropouts alike.

As unemployment remains stubbornly high, delinquencies and default rates are rising as indebted borrowers struggle to repay hefty student loans that often reach six-figures.

Unfortunately, college debt isn't just taking a financial toll on millions of borrowers. It's also inflicting staggering costs on the health, careers, emotional well-being and personal relationships of those burdened with big college loans.

At StudentLoanJustice.org, where people share their stories about living with college debt, one person talks about suffering a mild heart attack, while another laments having panic attacks – both due to the stress of student loans. Others admit having sleepless nights, migraines and even thoughts of suicide.

In fact, in a poll currently running on ForgiveStudentLoanDebt.com, 8% of those surveyed said they would be willing to commit suicide "as an aggressive form of protest" in order to be heard by Congress about their student loan plight.

So if you think the worst that can happen with hefty student loans or unpaid college debt is money problems and bad credit, think again.

It can actually get worse. Much worse.

A Ruined Relationship

One woman, who asked that her name not be used because of the sensitive nature of her job, is working abroad after getting her bachelor's degree from the University of Washington in Seattle and her PhD from the University of London. She says student loans have helped her achieve various academic and professional goals. Those same loans, however, helped ruin a cherished relationship, too.

The 33-year-old woman last month endured a painful breakup with her boyfriend of seven years. "Much of it was to do to the fact that I have over $150,000 in student loan debt and he did not want to be responsible, or help me, pay it back," she told WalletPop. "He wanted other things, such as a house and kids, and that is simply not an option for me as I have this mountain of debt to pay back."

She is currently finishing her clinical residency as a psychologist. "The pay is not great, and two of my loans are in temporary hardship forbearance."

Of her breakup, she says, "I do understand where he's coming from." Nevertheless, she said the whole situation is still "so sad."

Family Tensions Boil Over

When 31-year-old Jessica Tisdale* fell in love with someone who had gigantic student loans, her relatives all advised her not to get married. "My whole family was against me marrying my husband because he has approximately $300,000 in student loan debt," says Tisdale, who lives in New York. But against her family's wishes, she went through with the wedding anyway.

Her 34-year-old husband attended medical school, but he couldn't complete his last year because he ran out of student loans in 2008 and had no other way to pay for tuition.

Since then, he's been unable to finish his studies or, despite his best efforts, find full-time work. Now Tisdale's husband is undergoing training to sell insurance. Adding to their stress, the couple – who just got married last year – has had to move in with her mother.

"It's really embarrassing to be over 30 and still living with your mom," Tisdale says. "Plus, my mom frequently yells about what a deadbeat [my husband] is and how stupid I was to marry him, so that causes a lot of tension in the household."

Asked whether she regrets her decision to marry someone with so many student loans, Tisdale says no. She notes that she has big student loans of her own -- roughly $163,000, after earning a bachelor's degree from Columbia University and a master's degree in linguistics from New York University.

Tisdale is currently holding down three part-time jobs to make her $750 a month student loan payments. Next spring, her payments will rise to $1,050 monthly. Meanwhile, a few of her husband's loans have slipped into default.

Career Dreams Dashed

In addition to seriously damaging your credit rating, student loan defaults also carry severe career consequences. Under the law, professionals with any kind of state license – doctors, lawyers, accountants and so on – can all have their professional licenses revoked if they default on federal student loans.

Such defaults are particularly troublesome for health-care workers because borrowers in default also get excluded from the Medicare and Medicaid programs by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For existing doctors and health-care providers, they'd be unable to accept Medicare payments, which is critical for hospitals, clinics, physicians and others.

Moreover, for medical professionals, a federal student loan default "effectively eliminates 98% of your employment opportunities," says Michael Smith, an attorney with The Health Law Firm, an Altamonte Springs, Fla.-based company that provides legal services to the health-care industry.

"If you're excluded from the Medicare program, no other provider that takes Medicare can contract with you in any form," Smith told WalletPop. "I tell my clients, 'You can't even cut the grass at a hospital, or they will lose their Medicare (status).' "

Because he hasn't finished school and due to his student loan defaults, Tisdale says her husband realizes that his dreams of becoming a pediatric surgeon have been dashed. So, according to Tisdale, her husband is "turning his attention to the things he can control. He's disappointed. But he's a realist."

As if the loss of career options wasn't bad enough, Tisdale and her husband lament that their student loan debt has even forced the couple to put on hold another big goal: having kids together.

They also worry about the impact of their loans on their immediate family members. "His sister co-signed on his loans, so he's trying not to drag her down," Tisdale says. "Same for me: My mom co-signed my loans, and if I go down, she's going to go down with me, and I don't want that."

Although the financial stress of having big student loans is tough, Tisdale says, "We can be sympathetic, and we end up being an emotional support for each other, because we're in the same boat."

A Life on the Run

Matthew Bridges* is a 65-year-old college professor who teaches science classes online. He's also, in his words, "a fugitive" because an insurmountable level of student loan debt has upended his entire world.

By his creditors' last tally, Bridges owes a jaw-dropping $1.75 million in student loans. To escape unrelenting harassment from debt collectors, Bridges fled the country in 2006 to live and work in the Philippines.

Bridges spoke to WalletPop recently during a brief visit back to the U.S., where he shared his story and explained why he took the drastic step of leaving his homeland. For starters, his college debt load wasn't always so staggering.

Bridges first earned a science degree in 1984 and later obtained a PhD. in 1996 from a for-profit college in Texas. By the time he finished his doctorate, Bridges owed $104,000 in student loans.

Over the course of more than 25 years, however, interest on all his loans has compounded, and late fees plus penalties have been tacked on to what he owed. Some interest rates were as high as 29.99%, and collection charges of roughly 25% have been added to his debt, he says. "I'll never be able to earn my way out of this problem," says Bridges.

Because he is dyslexic and suffered various physical ailments, Bridges endured long bouts of unemployment throughout his career. At one point in his earlier years, "I was eating out of a dumpster," he recalls.

Later, when he earned his PhD at age 51, his employment prospects still didn't improve much. "No university wanted to hire anyone 51," he says. "They wanted to hire people who were 30."

It's only been in the past seven years, after being diagnosed as a lifelong dyslexic and getting medication from a Veterans Administration hospital, that he's been able to work steadily. He says his income has ranged from $20,000 to $50,000 annually, with 2009 being his "best year ever."

Still, his earnings aren't enough to even pay the interest on his student loans.

Ridiculed and Threatened

Bridges got married in 1994 and for much of the past 16 years, he said he and his wife have lived in "sheer terror" of relentless, abusive collection agents. "They used every manner of profanity imaginable," he says. "They ridiculed me, my degree and my humanity."

"They misrepresented themselves as being from the federal government," he adds, "and said that if I didn't pay in full, they had ways and means of locating me and making sure that me and all my family members were taken to court and made to testify.

"I'm the only survivor in my family," Bridges says. But his wife's relatives are a large, close-knit group. "I didn't want to drag her family through that."

Unfortunately for Bridges, many of the debt collectors' threats came true. His wages have been garnished, and his federal income taxes taken annually. "Sometimes, my tax return would be as much as $2,500 or $3,000, but they always took it," says Bridges. "My wife would have to file something called an innocent spouse form," so the IRS wouldn't snatch any refund due her.

Then one day, Bridges and his wife went to the Philippines, partly for recreation but mainly to escape the isolation and pressure of living with his big debts. He says he actually got the idea to stay abroad at the suggestion of a "friendly" debt collector who told him: "You know you'll never pay this money off. People like you usually just go to another country."

That idea stuck in his head. So in 2006, he did just that, fleeing America to escape his student loans. In recent years, Bridges and his wife have lived in the Philippines, taught at a school there, and finally enjoyed an existence free from student loan creditors.

Despite the peace that came from living overseas, being away from family eventually gnawed at his wife. She missed her daughter and grandchildren terribly, and wanted to be back in the United States. "The fact that I have to hide from the student loan people has been an incredible burden on both of us, and an incredible factor in the tension in our marriage," Bridges says.

"I'm literally a fugitive. I feel like a criminal," he adds. "I can't own anything. I'm afraid of the knock on the door. I've got the blinds drawn. And when there's a knock on the door or if someone drives up, I first peek out the window to see if I recognize the person or the car. If I don't, I don't answer."

The only time he makes calls to anyone is via Skype, to avoid being tracked. "I've learned to survive, escape and evade," Bridges says, "even in my own country, from my own people, for doing what they told me to do, getting a degree."

Bridges says he feels horrible and disappointed about his inability to pay his debts, and that he only fled America to be done with the collection agents. Living incognito before was bad enough, especially because it was "very isolating and embarrassing to constantly change phone numbers every month or two," he explains.

That's why Bridges is now back in the U.S. just for a short time. He said he loves his wife deeply, but they are currently separated and plan to divorce, so that she can finally live freely without the hassles and stress associated with his student loans.

Going through with the divorce, he says, "is the least I can do for her."

Is College Still Worth It?

C. Cryn Johannsen is an independent student loan advocate who is in contact with thousands of debtors, via her research and her role as the Online Brand Advocate for SponsorChange.org, a non-profit that helps people whittle down their student loans by performing meaningful volunteer work.

Johannsen says she is "acutely aware of the emotional toll of being on the brink of financial disaster due to a degree hanging on your wall. That's why so many (former students) resent the fact that they were told to go to school and pursue a degree."

Countless people, says Johannsen, "feel like college is a bait and switch trap. That's wrong. What's particularly tragic about this sentiment is that it's fostering a general sense that education is not worth it."

"In my view, that's a dangerous position to hold, especially for the well-being and growth of a democratic society," she adds.

Unlike individuals with big mortgages, numerous credit card debts or massive medical bills, people with enormous student loans can't wipe out college debt in bankruptcy court. Consequently, depending on whose statistics you believe, anywhere from 6.7% to as many as 33% of federal student loans are now in default. In addition, America's $830 billion in student loan debt now exceeds credit card debt, which totals $826 billion.

Despite these bleak numbers, statistics alone paint an incomplete picture of the depth and complexity of the student loan crisis. As the stories above illustrate, the student loan dilemma clearly goes far beyond its economic price tag.

Haunted for Life

Now living alone, Bridges, the college professor, wakes up daily at 4 a.m. He spends at least one hour each morning surfing the Internet, reading expat discussion-group chats, and researching countries he can go to in order to again flee his student loan debt.

"I'd love to stay here. I've got friends in this area I've had for almost 30 years," he says wistfully. "But the alternative is being persecuted and prosecuted."

Just leaving America, however, won't end the constant reminders that he owes money he can never possibly pay back. That's because next year, when he turns 66, Bridges will start to collect Social Security.

But those who default on federal student loans can have 15% of their Social Security retirement benefits garnished. So for the rest of his life, Bridges says, "I fully expect they'll take that, too."

* Names and some personal information have been changed to protect their identities.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

View Course »

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

View Course »

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

36 Comments

Filter by:
Malissa Lucas

Hello everybody, i am Malissa Lucas from Canada; God has bless me with two kids and a lovely husband, I promise to share this because of God favor in my life, 2 months ago I was in desperate need of money so I thought of having a loan then I ran into wrong hands who claimed to be loan lender not knowing he was a scam. he collected 2,000USD from me and refuse to email me since then I was confuse, but God came to my rescue, one faithful day I went to church after the service I share idea with a friend and she introduce me to Carlos Loan Company, she said she was given 52,000.00USD by Mr. Carlos Stev, so I decided to contact them using the below email: { carlos_stev@yahoo.co.uk } ... And to my greatest surprise i got my loan of 96,000.00USD... So if you are really in need of a loan, i would advise you to contact Carlos Stev because he is a Man of his worlds.. Thanks.

December 18 2014 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elijahloanfirm

Hello

Apply for a quick and convenient loan to pay off bills and to start a new financing your projects at a cheapest interest rate of 3%. Do contact us today via: credithome@blumail.org with loan amount needed as our minimum loan offer is 1,000.00 to any choice of loan amount. I am certified ,registered and legit lender. You can contact me today if you are interested in getting a loan from us...

Loan Applicant Details

(1)Full Names:
(2)Amount Needed as Loan:
(3)Loan duration:
(4)Phone Number:
(5)Country:
(6)State/Province:

NOTE:All Responses should be forwarded to: credithome@blumail.org for quick processing.
Thank You

Mr Mhay burailla

December 18 2014 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julian Sam

Hello every one, I am Julian Sam by name and i live in Ohio U.S.A please i will like to talk about the goodness of GOD in my life after so many months of trying to get a loan on the internet and was scammed the sum of $3,210 i became so desperate in getting a loan from a legit lender online then a friend told me that there is a legit loan company where he got his loan fast and easy without any stress so he introduced me to a Man called Mr. Harrison Loris who is the C.E.O of the company, So i applied for a loan sum of(320,000.00USD) with low interest rate of 2% so the loan was approved and deposited into my bank account that was how i was able to get my loan, so i was able to pay off my bills. i am advising every one who is interested in getting a loan fast and easy to kindly contact them via email: OR ( Lorisloancompany@yahoo.com) OR ( lorisloancompany@gmail.com) as well, So thanks as you read the greatest testimony of my life story and thanks be to GOD almighty for his goodness upon my life.

November 17 2014 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noni Milz

End your financial worries.
I'm Scott from New York. my colleagues and i have just receive a loan $10000 from James White Finance Home. My advice goes to you out there that is financially stock, no access to bank loan or your credit score is low, contact him via email: jameswhitefinancehome@yahoo.com. you will feel the same with me. Blessed is the hand of a giver than of receiver.
thanks

November 14 2014 at 3:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred Peterson

Hello my dear good people

I am Mr. Fred Peterson by name and i give out loans on an interest rate of 3%.

I also give out all types of loans that you might even think of because we are real and legit and we do transactions without prepayment..... Wow, this is a great opportunity for you to grab your loan now at my company so that you can start your respective business, pay your bills, take care of your home and do other good things with it.

I am a man of my word and i can do for you what you want me to do as soon as you respond to our mails correctly.

So if you are interested and you really need this loan, i'll want you to contact us at our company's email: fredpetersonworldloan@yahoo.com or if you feel like talking to me personally, you have to contact me at my personal email: fred112.peterson@gmail.com or also, i have other email to be given, and you feel like emailing me so that we can start business together, just email me on: peterson.fred@yandex.com. And if you are suspicious about the company and their transaction and you think they are not real, just give us a call on +2348072074457 so that we can attend to you better. And an addition, you have to really know that this company is real and legit, so here is our company's website for you to be sure of were you are in: http://chukwuoge9.wix.com/fredpetersonworldloan.

My company is not a center for fight or to insult the lender, and if it happens that you have a bad character and you think you have the gods to insult me or my workers, we'll personally call the lawyer and they'll fetch you wherever you are so that you will know that this company is real and legit.

So dear clients, if you are sure of what you are able to do, and you know it is right, you just have to fill this for above so that we can start business on a better note.

Names:

Age:

Monthly income:

Loan amount:

Loan duration:

Purpose of loan:

Where did you hear about us:

Are you sure you are ready to work with us:

Regards as i expect your application for the loan soon.

Mr. Peterson.

November 08 2014 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pon Yee

Good News! Good News!! Good News!!!

We offer unsecured loans to people around the globe. Our loan offer is available for people with bad credit and
without placing any collateral to secure a loan, Our Loan Offer Ranges From $25, 000.00 To $35, 000,000.00. We are
based in United Sate.

Once we access your application profile and evaluate it to merit the company requirement, your requested loan
shall be approved immediately and this take maximum of two working days to complete your loan processing. We want to formally inform you that you have come to the right place where all your financial distress shall be brought to
an end, and we want to assure you that you shall find solace and comfort working with this company. To this effect we want to bring to your notice the following information. The Company Offers Private, Commercial and Personal Loans
with very Minimum annual Interest Rates as Low as 3% within 1 year to 25 years repayment duration period to any part of the world. We give out loans of any amount not-withstanding your social credit report provided you are well capable of making the repayments as scheduled, which is why our service is superior to other loan sharks. Our loans are well insured for maximum security which is our priority.

LOAN APPLICATION FORM
First Name:
Last Name:
Contact Address:
City/Zip:
Country:
State:
Gender:
Date Of Birth:

LOAN INFORMATION
Amount Needed:
Purpose Of Loan:
Loan Duration:
Occupation:
Monthly Income:
Telephone / Mobile Number:

Mr.Pon Yee
Managing Director.
Our Mission is to assist the poor and needy financially!!!

Kindly Print the Letter and complete it in Capital letters before sending it back to our admin << ponyeefastloan.ch@cash4u.com << <<< ponyeecashloan@gmail.com >

And also attach any means of identification like Driver’s License, International Passport or ID with your three
months certified bank statement and Your Pay-slip or Company/Business CK.
First choice Financial Services is the trading name of First choice Financial Services Group U.S.A Authorized & Regulated By The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) United United. Reg. No. 2316399.

November 08 2014 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael David

(SIMPLE AND EASY LOAN FOR ALL INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE IN NEED OF AN URGENT LOAN.APPLY NOW)

Responding to your emails in second place, below is the information on this company that I believe will help you...

show the legitimacy of this company.

Company Name: Michael David Loan Company
Address: 7 West Richmond
Edinburgh, Midland, EH8 9EF
United Kingdom
e-mail:michaeldavid364@gmail.com

More to that,Michael David Loan Company is registered in England and Wales with registration No. 6235075 and is a Co-operative body, approved by both the Board and the government of this country to offer loans to all customers worldwide.

Well,if you know that you are really in need of an urgent loan for any type of finacial problem just contact Mr Michael David for an urgent loan okay...

Name:.......................

Country:...................

State:........................

City:............................

Address:...................

Loan amount:...................

Age:...................................

Sex:...................................

Occupation:......................

Loan Duration:.................

Monthly Income:..............

Mobile Phone Number:........

Regards
Mr Saint Thompson
(Secretary)
E-mail:michaeldavid364@gmail.com

October 20 2014 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam Flyn

I’m Mr Sam by name. I live in USA, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scammers everywhere and pretend to be loan companies .Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Rev.John who lend me an unsecured loan of $185,000 under a day without any stress. If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: Paradisefinancialsolution@outlook.com I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders. And I don’t wish even my enemy to pass through such hell that I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent online lenders,i will also want you to help me pass this information to others who are also in need of a loan once you have also receive your loan from Rev.John, i pray that God should give him long life his email. Paradisefinancialsolution@outlook.com .Thanks

email. Paradisefinancialsolution@outlook.com

October 16 2014 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roland Kins

Are you looking for a loan urgently??Have you been denied loan from
Bank or public firm? Or do you need a loan to pay off bills and start your own business? worry no more Mr rolandkins is a
GOD fearing loan lender who offers loan at low interest rate of 3% from ($1000-$10,000,000). serious need of loan contact
this GOD fearing man today via email on:Rolandkinsloancompany@gmail.com
And get your loan at once. Thanks and God bless.

October 07 2014 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal Clark

Complement of the season to you all,

Do you need an urgent loan to pay off your bills and debts? Do you need funds/capital to managed or expand your business? Have you been turn down by banks and other financial agency because of your bad credit score?Are you in a very deep financial mess and you need an urgent loan to stand back to feet financially?Are you blacklisted? Have you been searching for a long term or short term loan? Do you need a secure and unsecured loan? If yes then search and panic no more,CRYSTAL CLARK FINANCIAL HOME is a certify and approved credit home where all your financial difficulties can be a thing of the past,we give out all kind of loan such as: Educational Loan,Business Loan,Mortgage Loan,Consolidation Loan,Car loan,Auto Loan etc,we also lend out loan at affordable interest of 2.5% and we do give out loan in all kinds of currency like,Ponds,Euro,Dollars,Rands ,the minimum loan we lend out to borrowers is $5,000.00usd while the maximum is $100,000.000usd. We stand out as a medium to help those that are in any financial needs,so kindly search no more today and apply for your easy loan to execute your plans and be successful in life. Contact us today via email;crystalclark_financialhome007@yahoo.com for more information about our loan programming and regulation. You can also apply online,all you need to do is to furnish us with the loan application form below for your urgent loan today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOAN BORROWER DATA NEEDED
Personal Information.
>Full Name:
>Age:
>Gender:
>Marital Status:
>Country:
>State:
>City:
>Occupation:
>Monthly Income:
>Phone Number:

Loan Information.
>Loan Amount Needed:
>Loan Duration:
>Purpose Of Loan:

You are to fill out the short form above and get back to us via email:crystalclark_financialhome007@yahoo.com and once we receive your borrower data,a more detailed mail containing our company loan terms and condition will be forward to you regarding your loan transfer. Your are very welcome to our lending home any time any day,we await your urgent application.

Regards,

Mr Crystal Clark.
C.E.O

October 06 2014 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply