Student loan horror stories: What's the worst that can happen?

Student loan horror stories: What's the worst than can happen?With $830 billion in student loans outstanding in America, mounting student loan debt is increasingly wreaking havoc on the lives of U.S. college graduates and dropouts alike.

As unemployment remains stubbornly high, delinquencies and default rates are rising as indebted borrowers struggle to repay hefty student loans that often reach six-figures.

Unfortunately, college debt isn't just taking a financial toll on millions of borrowers. It's also inflicting staggering costs on the health, careers, emotional well-being and personal relationships of those burdened with big college loans.

At StudentLoanJustice.org, where people share their stories about living with college debt, one person talks about suffering a mild heart attack, while another laments having panic attacks – both due to the stress of student loans. Others admit having sleepless nights, migraines and even thoughts of suicide.

In fact, in a poll currently running on ForgiveStudentLoanDebt.com, 8% of those surveyed said they would be willing to commit suicide "as an aggressive form of protest" in order to be heard by Congress about their student loan plight.

So if you think the worst that can happen with hefty student loans or unpaid college debt is money problems and bad credit, think again.

It can actually get worse. Much worse.

A Ruined Relationship

One woman, who asked that her name not be used because of the sensitive nature of her job, is working abroad after getting her bachelor's degree from the University of Washington in Seattle and her PhD from the University of London. She says student loans have helped her achieve various academic and professional goals. Those same loans, however, helped ruin a cherished relationship, too.

The 33-year-old woman last month endured a painful breakup with her boyfriend of seven years. "Much of it was to do to the fact that I have over $150,000 in student loan debt and he did not want to be responsible, or help me, pay it back," she told WalletPop. "He wanted other things, such as a house and kids, and that is simply not an option for me as I have this mountain of debt to pay back."

She is currently finishing her clinical residency as a psychologist. "The pay is not great, and two of my loans are in temporary hardship forbearance."

Of her breakup, she says, "I do understand where he's coming from." Nevertheless, she said the whole situation is still "so sad."

Family Tensions Boil Over

When 31-year-old Jessica Tisdale* fell in love with someone who had gigantic student loans, her relatives all advised her not to get married. "My whole family was against me marrying my husband because he has approximately $300,000 in student loan debt," says Tisdale, who lives in New York. But against her family's wishes, she went through with the wedding anyway.

Her 34-year-old husband attended medical school, but he couldn't complete his last year because he ran out of student loans in 2008 and had no other way to pay for tuition.

Since then, he's been unable to finish his studies or, despite his best efforts, find full-time work. Now Tisdale's husband is undergoing training to sell insurance. Adding to their stress, the couple – who just got married last year – has had to move in with her mother.

"It's really embarrassing to be over 30 and still living with your mom," Tisdale says. "Plus, my mom frequently yells about what a deadbeat [my husband] is and how stupid I was to marry him, so that causes a lot of tension in the household."

Asked whether she regrets her decision to marry someone with so many student loans, Tisdale says no. She notes that she has big student loans of her own -- roughly $163,000, after earning a bachelor's degree from Columbia University and a master's degree in linguistics from New York University.

Tisdale is currently holding down three part-time jobs to make her $750 a month student loan payments. Next spring, her payments will rise to $1,050 monthly. Meanwhile, a few of her husband's loans have slipped into default.

Career Dreams Dashed

In addition to seriously damaging your credit rating, student loan defaults also carry severe career consequences. Under the law, professionals with any kind of state license – doctors, lawyers, accountants and so on – can all have their professional licenses revoked if they default on federal student loans.

Such defaults are particularly troublesome for health-care workers because borrowers in default also get excluded from the Medicare and Medicaid programs by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For existing doctors and health-care providers, they'd be unable to accept Medicare payments, which is critical for hospitals, clinics, physicians and others.

Moreover, for medical professionals, a federal student loan default "effectively eliminates 98% of your employment opportunities," says Michael Smith, an attorney with The Health Law Firm, an Altamonte Springs, Fla.-based company that provides legal services to the health-care industry.

"If you're excluded from the Medicare program, no other provider that takes Medicare can contract with you in any form," Smith told WalletPop. "I tell my clients, 'You can't even cut the grass at a hospital, or they will lose their Medicare (status).' "

Because he hasn't finished school and due to his student loan defaults, Tisdale says her husband realizes that his dreams of becoming a pediatric surgeon have been dashed. So, according to Tisdale, her husband is "turning his attention to the things he can control. He's disappointed. But he's a realist."

As if the loss of career options wasn't bad enough, Tisdale and her husband lament that their student loan debt has even forced the couple to put on hold another big goal: having kids together.

They also worry about the impact of their loans on their immediate family members. "His sister co-signed on his loans, so he's trying not to drag her down," Tisdale says. "Same for me: My mom co-signed my loans, and if I go down, she's going to go down with me, and I don't want that."

Although the financial stress of having big student loans is tough, Tisdale says, "We can be sympathetic, and we end up being an emotional support for each other, because we're in the same boat."

A Life on the Run

Matthew Bridges* is a 65-year-old college professor who teaches science classes online. He's also, in his words, "a fugitive" because an insurmountable level of student loan debt has upended his entire world.

By his creditors' last tally, Bridges owes a jaw-dropping $1.75 million in student loans. To escape unrelenting harassment from debt collectors, Bridges fled the country in 2006 to live and work in the Philippines.

Bridges spoke to WalletPop recently during a brief visit back to the U.S., where he shared his story and explained why he took the drastic step of leaving his homeland. For starters, his college debt load wasn't always so staggering.

Bridges first earned a science degree in 1984 and later obtained a PhD. in 1996 from a for-profit college in Texas. By the time he finished his doctorate, Bridges owed $104,000 in student loans.

Over the course of more than 25 years, however, interest on all his loans has compounded, and late fees plus penalties have been tacked on to what he owed. Some interest rates were as high as 29.99%, and collection charges of roughly 25% have been added to his debt, he says. "I'll never be able to earn my way out of this problem," says Bridges.

Because he is dyslexic and suffered various physical ailments, Bridges endured long bouts of unemployment throughout his career. At one point in his earlier years, "I was eating out of a dumpster," he recalls.

Later, when he earned his PhD at age 51, his employment prospects still didn't improve much. "No university wanted to hire anyone 51," he says. "They wanted to hire people who were 30."

It's only been in the past seven years, after being diagnosed as a lifelong dyslexic and getting medication from a Veterans Administration hospital, that he's been able to work steadily. He says his income has ranged from $20,000 to $50,000 annually, with 2009 being his "best year ever."

Still, his earnings aren't enough to even pay the interest on his student loans.

Ridiculed and Threatened

Bridges got married in 1994 and for much of the past 16 years, he said he and his wife have lived in "sheer terror" of relentless, abusive collection agents. "They used every manner of profanity imaginable," he says. "They ridiculed me, my degree and my humanity."

"They misrepresented themselves as being from the federal government," he adds, "and said that if I didn't pay in full, they had ways and means of locating me and making sure that me and all my family members were taken to court and made to testify.

"I'm the only survivor in my family," Bridges says. But his wife's relatives are a large, close-knit group. "I didn't want to drag her family through that."

Unfortunately for Bridges, many of the debt collectors' threats came true. His wages have been garnished, and his federal income taxes taken annually. "Sometimes, my tax return would be as much as $2,500 or $3,000, but they always took it," says Bridges. "My wife would have to file something called an innocent spouse form," so the IRS wouldn't snatch any refund due her.

Then one day, Bridges and his wife went to the Philippines, partly for recreation but mainly to escape the isolation and pressure of living with his big debts. He says he actually got the idea to stay abroad at the suggestion of a "friendly" debt collector who told him: "You know you'll never pay this money off. People like you usually just go to another country."

That idea stuck in his head. So in 2006, he did just that, fleeing America to escape his student loans. In recent years, Bridges and his wife have lived in the Philippines, taught at a school there, and finally enjoyed an existence free from student loan creditors.

Despite the peace that came from living overseas, being away from family eventually gnawed at his wife. She missed her daughter and grandchildren terribly, and wanted to be back in the United States. "The fact that I have to hide from the student loan people has been an incredible burden on both of us, and an incredible factor in the tension in our marriage," Bridges says.

"I'm literally a fugitive. I feel like a criminal," he adds. "I can't own anything. I'm afraid of the knock on the door. I've got the blinds drawn. And when there's a knock on the door or if someone drives up, I first peek out the window to see if I recognize the person or the car. If I don't, I don't answer."

The only time he makes calls to anyone is via Skype, to avoid being tracked. "I've learned to survive, escape and evade," Bridges says, "even in my own country, from my own people, for doing what they told me to do, getting a degree."

Bridges says he feels horrible and disappointed about his inability to pay his debts, and that he only fled America to be done with the collection agents. Living incognito before was bad enough, especially because it was "very isolating and embarrassing to constantly change phone numbers every month or two," he explains.

That's why Bridges is now back in the U.S. just for a short time. He said he loves his wife deeply, but they are currently separated and plan to divorce, so that she can finally live freely without the hassles and stress associated with his student loans.

Going through with the divorce, he says, "is the least I can do for her."

Is College Still Worth It?

C. Cryn Johannsen is an independent student loan advocate who is in contact with thousands of debtors, via her research and her role as the Online Brand Advocate for SponsorChange.org, a non-profit that helps people whittle down their student loans by performing meaningful volunteer work.

Johannsen says she is "acutely aware of the emotional toll of being on the brink of financial disaster due to a degree hanging on your wall. That's why so many (former students) resent the fact that they were told to go to school and pursue a degree."

Countless people, says Johannsen, "feel like college is a bait and switch trap. That's wrong. What's particularly tragic about this sentiment is that it's fostering a general sense that education is not worth it."

"In my view, that's a dangerous position to hold, especially for the well-being and growth of a democratic society," she adds.

Unlike individuals with big mortgages, numerous credit card debts or massive medical bills, people with enormous student loans can't wipe out college debt in bankruptcy court. Consequently, depending on whose statistics you believe, anywhere from 6.7% to as many as 33% of federal student loans are now in default. In addition, America's $830 billion in student loan debt now exceeds credit card debt, which totals $826 billion.

Despite these bleak numbers, statistics alone paint an incomplete picture of the depth and complexity of the student loan crisis. As the stories above illustrate, the student loan dilemma clearly goes far beyond its economic price tag.

Haunted for Life

Now living alone, Bridges, the college professor, wakes up daily at 4 a.m. He spends at least one hour each morning surfing the Internet, reading expat discussion-group chats, and researching countries he can go to in order to again flee his student loan debt.

"I'd love to stay here. I've got friends in this area I've had for almost 30 years," he says wistfully. "But the alternative is being persecuted and prosecuted."

Just leaving America, however, won't end the constant reminders that he owes money he can never possibly pay back. That's because next year, when he turns 66, Bridges will start to collect Social Security.

But those who default on federal student loans can have 15% of their Social Security retirement benefits garnished. So for the rest of his life, Bridges says, "I fully expect they'll take that, too."

* Names and some personal information have been changed to protect their identities.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

View Course »

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

View Course »

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

10 Comments

Filter by:
Carrie Steve

hello everyone this really worked and i am proud to testify also. i saw a post on how a lady got her husband back and i decided to try this prophet that helped her because my relationship was crashing. although i never believed in spiritual work i reluctantly tried him because i was desperate but to my greatest surprise this prophet helped me and my relationship is now perfect just as he promised my husband now treats me like a queen even when he had told me before he doesn't love me anymore. well, i can not say much but if you are passing through difficulties in your relationship try him here is his email kizzekpespells@outlook.com of a truth he really helps again his email kizzekpespells@outlook.com

Friday at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha Jeff

Attention Every One!!!

My name is Samantha Jeff a citizen of U.S.A. i have been scammed by 2 different Internet international scammed lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 6,000USD. One today as i was browsing through the internet with tears on my eyes i came across a testimony of man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called Andre Frank Loan Company the C.E.O of {frankloancompany@yahoo.com} where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 2 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all what was requested of me and here i am today happy because Andre Frank Loan Company {Frankloancompany@yahoo.com} has given me a Loan so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my desired loan. Do you need a loan urgently kindly and quickly contact Andre Frank loan company now for your loan via Email: {frankloancompany@yahoo.com}

July 07 2014 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gibson Arrowood

Hello,
Are you in a financial problem?,Do you have bills to settle? or do you need a loan to setup a profitable business? Have you search for loans elsewhere and you have been disappointed? Worry no more my dear friend.DOUGLAS RODGERS LOAN FIRM Guarantees credible loans with easy steps, no credit checks, no collateral and a low interest rate of 2%. Contact us today via Douglasrodgersloanfirm@live.com

July 01 2014 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Jay

Good-day,

I'm Mr. Heckert Kenneth. A reputable, legitimate & accredited lender. We give out loan of all kinds in a very fast and easy way, Personal Loan, Car Loan, Home Loan, Student Loan, Business Loan, Inventor loan, Debt Consolidation. etc

Get approved for a business or personal loans today and get funds within same week of application. These personal loans can be approved regardless of your credit and there are lots of happy customers to back up this claim. But you won’t only get the personal loan you need; you will get the cheapest one. This is our promise: We guarantee The lowest rate for all loans with free collateral benefits.

We strive to leave a positive lasting impression by exceeding the expectations of my customers in everything I do. Our goal is to treat you with dignity and respect while providing the highest quality service in a timely manner.

No social security Number required and no credit check required, 100% Guaranteed.

So email: heckertken@outlook.com today to apply for a LOAN.

June 26 2014 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lily Brown

Hello,
Here comes an Affordable loan that will change your life for ever,
I am Mrs Lily Brown a certified loan lender, I offer loan to
individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance
in a low interest rate of 3%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and
Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret
anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile.

I Mrs Lily Brown, will render the best of my services to all
legitimate borrowers.You will never be disappointed by me in this
transaction because you were not born to be a loser.Any interested
clients should contact me Asap via Email(mrslilybrownco9@gmail.com)
for further proceeds.

Please fill the below application form and get back if interested and
you will be glad of knowing a loan lender like Mrs Lily Brown.

BORROWER'S DATA

1)Full Names:
2)Country:
3)address:
4)State:
5)Sex:
6)Marital Status:
7)Occupation:
8)Phone Number:
10)Monthly income:
11)Next of Kin:
12)Loan Amount Needed:
13)Loan Duration:
14)Purpose of Loan:

As soon as you fill the form above, I will send you my loan Terms And
Conditions Asap in order for us to proceed.

I will be looking forward to hear from you so as to proceed.
With Regards,

June 14 2014 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patient Jones

Hello friends!!! My name is Patient Jones a citizen of USA. i want to testify of the good Loan Lender who showed light to me after been scammed by 4 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay a lot of fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 8,000USD. One day as i was browsing through the internet looking foretasted when i came across a testimony man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called Alowiz Christle Loan Company(alowizloanfinance@yahoo.com) where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 6 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and I was given a loan amount of $600,000.00 Dollars by this great Company (Alowiz Loan Finance} managed by Mr.Alowiz Christle and here i am today happy because Alowiz Christle COMPANY has given me a loan so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan. Do you need a loan urgently? kindly and quickly contact Alowiz Christle Loan Company now for your loan via email: Alowizloanfinance@yahoo.com

May 31 2014 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sa.ga2

I HATE that ****, BTW.

February 21 2014 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sa.ga2

I did have something to say, bu the dialogue box did not keep it when you asked me to create an account. Screw it, have a nice F^%&*^( day....

James Owen

Hello everybody, this is testimony that i want to say to every one there thanks be to God almighty for his kindness and goodness upon my life what will i have done if not for Mr James Owen who i will always see as a God sent man who God have chosen to help people who are in financial need like me a poor widow who was short listed and short of funds a man who have two kids and has so many responsibilities a man who lost her wife and has bills to pay consisting of both house rent and electricity bills and was scammed the sum of $2,000 usd i never believed that there is still a legit loan company online who still believe that people are in financial problem and are ready to help after been scamed $2,000 usd i never believed that there is still a legit loan company until i came across a post that was posted by one Mrs maria smith on this same forum she explained how she got her loan from Mr james owen who is the CEO james owenloan company by then i was having no more option rather than to try my luck for the third time’s to avoid losing my home(accommodation)so i think about it i came to a conclusion that i should try again so i contacted Mr James Owen via email they attended to me in less than 8hours i applied for a loan sum of $45,000,00 usd the loan was approved with low interest rate and after the processing i got my loan in my bank account so i want to quickly use this medium to advise any loan seeker out there to contact Mr James Owen via email jamesowen09@yahoo.com he will definitely give you a loan you require without any stress once again thanks be to God for his mercy upon my life Mrs maria smith

February 04 2014 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arthur

It is a sign of how poor the U.S. has become. The thieves who used to target people with money can't find any of those, so they are targeting people who are willing to borrow money to give to thieves.

July 12 2012 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply