Student loan horror stories: What's the worst that can happen?

Student loan horror stories: What's the worst than can happen?With $830 billion in student loans outstanding in America, mounting student loan debt is increasingly wreaking havoc on the lives of U.S. college graduates and dropouts alike.

As unemployment remains stubbornly high, delinquencies and default rates are rising as indebted borrowers struggle to repay hefty student loans that often reach six-figures.

Unfortunately, college debt isn't just taking a financial toll on millions of borrowers. It's also inflicting staggering costs on the health, careers, emotional well-being and personal relationships of those burdened with big college loans.

At StudentLoanJustice.org, where people share their stories about living with college debt, one person talks about suffering a mild heart attack, while another laments having panic attacks – both due to the stress of student loans. Others admit having sleepless nights, migraines and even thoughts of suicide.

In fact, in a poll currently running on ForgiveStudentLoanDebt.com, 8% of those surveyed said they would be willing to commit suicide "as an aggressive form of protest" in order to be heard by Congress about their student loan plight.

So if you think the worst that can happen with hefty student loans or unpaid college debt is money problems and bad credit, think again.

It can actually get worse. Much worse.

A Ruined Relationship

One woman, who asked that her name not be used because of the sensitive nature of her job, is working abroad after getting her bachelor's degree from the University of Washington in Seattle and her PhD from the University of London. She says student loans have helped her achieve various academic and professional goals. Those same loans, however, helped ruin a cherished relationship, too.

The 33-year-old woman last month endured a painful breakup with her boyfriend of seven years. "Much of it was to do to the fact that I have over $150,000 in student loan debt and he did not want to be responsible, or help me, pay it back," she told WalletPop. "He wanted other things, such as a house and kids, and that is simply not an option for me as I have this mountain of debt to pay back."

She is currently finishing her clinical residency as a psychologist. "The pay is not great, and two of my loans are in temporary hardship forbearance."

Of her breakup, she says, "I do understand where he's coming from." Nevertheless, she said the whole situation is still "so sad."

Family Tensions Boil Over

When 31-year-old Jessica Tisdale* fell in love with someone who had gigantic student loans, her relatives all advised her not to get married. "My whole family was against me marrying my husband because he has approximately $300,000 in student loan debt," says Tisdale, who lives in New York. But against her family's wishes, she went through with the wedding anyway.

Her 34-year-old husband attended medical school, but he couldn't complete his last year because he ran out of student loans in 2008 and had no other way to pay for tuition.

Since then, he's been unable to finish his studies or, despite his best efforts, find full-time work. Now Tisdale's husband is undergoing training to sell insurance. Adding to their stress, the couple – who just got married last year – has had to move in with her mother.

"It's really embarrassing to be over 30 and still living with your mom," Tisdale says. "Plus, my mom frequently yells about what a deadbeat [my husband] is and how stupid I was to marry him, so that causes a lot of tension in the household."

Asked whether she regrets her decision to marry someone with so many student loans, Tisdale says no. She notes that she has big student loans of her own -- roughly $163,000, after earning a bachelor's degree from Columbia University and a master's degree in linguistics from New York University.

Tisdale is currently holding down three part-time jobs to make her $750 a month student loan payments. Next spring, her payments will rise to $1,050 monthly. Meanwhile, a few of her husband's loans have slipped into default.

Career Dreams Dashed

In addition to seriously damaging your credit rating, student loan defaults also carry severe career consequences. Under the law, professionals with any kind of state license – doctors, lawyers, accountants and so on – can all have their professional licenses revoked if they default on federal student loans.

Such defaults are particularly troublesome for health-care workers because borrowers in default also get excluded from the Medicare and Medicaid programs by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For existing doctors and health-care providers, they'd be unable to accept Medicare payments, which is critical for hospitals, clinics, physicians and others.

Moreover, for medical professionals, a federal student loan default "effectively eliminates 98% of your employment opportunities," says Michael Smith, an attorney with The Health Law Firm, an Altamonte Springs, Fla.-based company that provides legal services to the health-care industry.

"If you're excluded from the Medicare program, no other provider that takes Medicare can contract with you in any form," Smith told WalletPop. "I tell my clients, 'You can't even cut the grass at a hospital, or they will lose their Medicare (status).' "

Because he hasn't finished school and due to his student loan defaults, Tisdale says her husband realizes that his dreams of becoming a pediatric surgeon have been dashed. So, according to Tisdale, her husband is "turning his attention to the things he can control. He's disappointed. But he's a realist."

As if the loss of career options wasn't bad enough, Tisdale and her husband lament that their student loan debt has even forced the couple to put on hold another big goal: having kids together.

They also worry about the impact of their loans on their immediate family members. "His sister co-signed on his loans, so he's trying not to drag her down," Tisdale says. "Same for me: My mom co-signed my loans, and if I go down, she's going to go down with me, and I don't want that."

Although the financial stress of having big student loans is tough, Tisdale says, "We can be sympathetic, and we end up being an emotional support for each other, because we're in the same boat."

A Life on the Run

Matthew Bridges* is a 65-year-old college professor who teaches science classes online. He's also, in his words, "a fugitive" because an insurmountable level of student loan debt has upended his entire world.

By his creditors' last tally, Bridges owes a jaw-dropping $1.75 million in student loans. To escape unrelenting harassment from debt collectors, Bridges fled the country in 2006 to live and work in the Philippines.

Bridges spoke to WalletPop recently during a brief visit back to the U.S., where he shared his story and explained why he took the drastic step of leaving his homeland. For starters, his college debt load wasn't always so staggering.

Bridges first earned a science degree in 1984 and later obtained a PhD. in 1996 from a for-profit college in Texas. By the time he finished his doctorate, Bridges owed $104,000 in student loans.

Over the course of more than 25 years, however, interest on all his loans has compounded, and late fees plus penalties have been tacked on to what he owed. Some interest rates were as high as 29.99%, and collection charges of roughly 25% have been added to his debt, he says. "I'll never be able to earn my way out of this problem," says Bridges.

Because he is dyslexic and suffered various physical ailments, Bridges endured long bouts of unemployment throughout his career. At one point in his earlier years, "I was eating out of a dumpster," he recalls.

Later, when he earned his PhD at age 51, his employment prospects still didn't improve much. "No university wanted to hire anyone 51," he says. "They wanted to hire people who were 30."

It's only been in the past seven years, after being diagnosed as a lifelong dyslexic and getting medication from a Veterans Administration hospital, that he's been able to work steadily. He says his income has ranged from $20,000 to $50,000 annually, with 2009 being his "best year ever."

Still, his earnings aren't enough to even pay the interest on his student loans.

Ridiculed and Threatened

Bridges got married in 1994 and for much of the past 16 years, he said he and his wife have lived in "sheer terror" of relentless, abusive collection agents. "They used every manner of profanity imaginable," he says. "They ridiculed me, my degree and my humanity."

"They misrepresented themselves as being from the federal government," he adds, "and said that if I didn't pay in full, they had ways and means of locating me and making sure that me and all my family members were taken to court and made to testify.

"I'm the only survivor in my family," Bridges says. But his wife's relatives are a large, close-knit group. "I didn't want to drag her family through that."

Unfortunately for Bridges, many of the debt collectors' threats came true. His wages have been garnished, and his federal income taxes taken annually. "Sometimes, my tax return would be as much as $2,500 or $3,000, but they always took it," says Bridges. "My wife would have to file something called an innocent spouse form," so the IRS wouldn't snatch any refund due her.

Then one day, Bridges and his wife went to the Philippines, partly for recreation but mainly to escape the isolation and pressure of living with his big debts. He says he actually got the idea to stay abroad at the suggestion of a "friendly" debt collector who told him: "You know you'll never pay this money off. People like you usually just go to another country."

That idea stuck in his head. So in 2006, he did just that, fleeing America to escape his student loans. In recent years, Bridges and his wife have lived in the Philippines, taught at a school there, and finally enjoyed an existence free from student loan creditors.

Despite the peace that came from living overseas, being away from family eventually gnawed at his wife. She missed her daughter and grandchildren terribly, and wanted to be back in the United States. "The fact that I have to hide from the student loan people has been an incredible burden on both of us, and an incredible factor in the tension in our marriage," Bridges says.

"I'm literally a fugitive. I feel like a criminal," he adds. "I can't own anything. I'm afraid of the knock on the door. I've got the blinds drawn. And when there's a knock on the door or if someone drives up, I first peek out the window to see if I recognize the person or the car. If I don't, I don't answer."

The only time he makes calls to anyone is via Skype, to avoid being tracked. "I've learned to survive, escape and evade," Bridges says, "even in my own country, from my own people, for doing what they told me to do, getting a degree."

Bridges says he feels horrible and disappointed about his inability to pay his debts, and that he only fled America to be done with the collection agents. Living incognito before was bad enough, especially because it was "very isolating and embarrassing to constantly change phone numbers every month or two," he explains.

That's why Bridges is now back in the U.S. just for a short time. He said he loves his wife deeply, but they are currently separated and plan to divorce, so that she can finally live freely without the hassles and stress associated with his student loans.

Going through with the divorce, he says, "is the least I can do for her."

Is College Still Worth It?

C. Cryn Johannsen is an independent student loan advocate who is in contact with thousands of debtors, via her research and her role as the Online Brand Advocate for SponsorChange.org, a non-profit that helps people whittle down their student loans by performing meaningful volunteer work.

Johannsen says she is "acutely aware of the emotional toll of being on the brink of financial disaster due to a degree hanging on your wall. That's why so many (former students) resent the fact that they were told to go to school and pursue a degree."

Countless people, says Johannsen, "feel like college is a bait and switch trap. That's wrong. What's particularly tragic about this sentiment is that it's fostering a general sense that education is not worth it."

"In my view, that's a dangerous position to hold, especially for the well-being and growth of a democratic society," she adds.

Unlike individuals with big mortgages, numerous credit card debts or massive medical bills, people with enormous student loans can't wipe out college debt in bankruptcy court. Consequently, depending on whose statistics you believe, anywhere from 6.7% to as many as 33% of federal student loans are now in default. In addition, America's $830 billion in student loan debt now exceeds credit card debt, which totals $826 billion.

Despite these bleak numbers, statistics alone paint an incomplete picture of the depth and complexity of the student loan crisis. As the stories above illustrate, the student loan dilemma clearly goes far beyond its economic price tag.

Haunted for Life

Now living alone, Bridges, the college professor, wakes up daily at 4 a.m. He spends at least one hour each morning surfing the Internet, reading expat discussion-group chats, and researching countries he can go to in order to again flee his student loan debt.

"I'd love to stay here. I've got friends in this area I've had for almost 30 years," he says wistfully. "But the alternative is being persecuted and prosecuted."

Just leaving America, however, won't end the constant reminders that he owes money he can never possibly pay back. That's because next year, when he turns 66, Bridges will start to collect Social Security.

But those who default on federal student loans can have 15% of their Social Security retirement benefits garnished. So for the rest of his life, Bridges says, "I fully expect they'll take that, too."

* Names and some personal information have been changed to protect their identities.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

View Course »

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

View Course »

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

41 Comments

Filter by:
Austin Gift

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN.

Complement of the day, My name is Jimmy Wallace, I am from Texas USA, I have been searching for a genuine loan for the past 5 months now and all I got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day, they took my money without giving anything in return, all my hope was lost, I got confused and frustrated,then i find it very difficult to feed my family, I never wanted to have anything to do with online loans again, so I went to borrow some money from a friend, I told him all that happened and he said he can help me, that he knows a honest lender that can help me, that he just got a loan from Miss Karen Gordon, he directed me on how to apply, I did as he told me, I applied, I never believed but I tried and to my greatest surprise I got the loan of $87,000 within 48 hours, I could not believe, I am happy and rich again and I'm thanking God, because i don't believe honest lenders like this still exist upon the high rate scams all over the globe, I would recommend this honest lender to everyone! here is the email that i used in contacting her: Email:Misskarengordon12@gmail.com

Miss karen

January 14 2015 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natasha Cater

To properly introduce myself, I am Mr Micheal Benson a private lender i
give out loan at 3% interest rate. This is a financial opportunity at
your door step, apply today and get your fast loan. There are many out
there looking for financial opportunity or assistance all over
the places and still yet they are unable to get one. But this is a
financial opportunity at your door step and as such you can't afford
to miss this opportunity. This service is render to both
individuals,companies,business men and women. The loan amount
available ranges from any amount of your choice For more information
contact us via email: michealbensonloanagency@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION FORM FILL AND RETURN.

Full Name....................................

Personal Phone Number............................

Country...........................................

Address......................................

State..............................

Age.............................................

Have you applied before?.......................

Marital Status.................................

Loan amount needed as loan.....................................

Loan Duration.................................

Occupation ....................................

Monthly Income.............................

In acknowledgment of these details, We shall send you our terms along with repayment schedule and If you agree to the terms and conditions ,you stand to get your loan within 24hours. This depends on your seriousness and urgency in obtaining the loan.
I gladly await your swift response,

Yours Sincerely,

Micheal Benson

January 11 2015 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isaac Robinson

Good Day,
I’m Mr Isaac Robinson,A reputable, legitimate & accredited lender. We give out loan of all kinds in a very fast and easy way, Personal Loan, Car Loan, Home Loan, Student Loan, Business Loan, Inventor loan, Debt Consolidation. etc
Get approved for a business or personal loans today and get funds within same week of application. These personal loans can be approved regardless of your credit and there are lots of happy customers to back up this claim. But you won’t only get the personal loan you need; you will get the cheapest one. This is our promise: We guarantee the lowest rate for all loans with free collateral benefits.
We strive to leave a positive lasting impression by exceeding the expectations of my customers in everything I do. Our goal is to treat you with dignity and respect while providing the highest quality service in a timely manner.
No social security Number required and no credit check required, 100% Guaranteed.
So email: isaacrobinsonloanlink007@gmail.com today to apply for a loan.

January 07 2015 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wagner Clerk

Hello all,

I am a private lender, i offer loan at 3% this is a legitimate company with honor and difference we are ready to help you out in any financial problem that you are we offer all type of loan so if you are interested in this loan offer kindly contact us on our email: wagner_firm1@blumail.org

Also provide the follow details so that we can proceed with the loan immediately.

Name:
Amount needed:
Duration:
country:
Purpose of loan:
Monthly income:
Phone number:

Contact us with the above details on our email: wagner_firm1@blumail.org

Regards to you all.

January 06 2015 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Austin Gift

Hello

I am Mr. Austine, a private money lender. I give out loans with an interest rate of 3% per annual and within the amount of $1000.00 to $500,000,000.00 as the loan offer. 100% Project Funding with secured and unsecured loans are available. We are guaranteed in giving out financial services to our numerous clients all over the world. With our flexible lending packages, loans can be processed and funds transferred to the borrower within the shortest time possible. We operate under clear and understandable terms and we offer loans of all kinds to interested clients, firms, companies, and all kinds of business organizations, private individuals and real estate investors. Just complete the form below and get back to us as we expect your swift and immediate response. EMAIL : austinegiftcompany@gmail.com

Attention!!!

Do you have a bad credit?
Do you need money to pay bills?
Do you need to start up a new business?
Do you have unfinished project at hand due to bad financing?
Do you need money to invest in some area of specialization which will profit you? and you don't know what to do.

We offer the following loans below,
personal loans[secure and unsecured]
business loans[secure and unsecured]
combination loans
students loans
consolidation loans and so many others.

1. Full Names:............................
2. Contact Address:.......................
3. Loan Amount Needed:....................
4. Duration of the Loan...................
5. Direct Telephone Number:.................

Email austinegiftcompany@gmail.com

Best Regards,

Mr Austine

January 06 2015 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malissa Lucas

Hello everybody, i am Malissa Lucas from Canada; God has bless me with two kids and a lovely husband, I promise to share this because of God favor in my life, 2 months ago I was in desperate need of money so I thought of having a loan then I ran into wrong hands who claimed to be loan lender not knowing he was a scam. he collected 2,000USD from me and refuse to email me since then I was confuse, but God came to my rescue, one faithful day I went to church after the service I share idea with a friend and she introduce me to Carlos Loan Company, she said she was given 52,000.00USD by Mr. Carlos Stev, so I decided to contact them using the below email: { carlos_stev@yahoo.co.uk } ... And to my greatest surprise i got my loan of 96,000.00USD... So if you are really in need of a loan, i would advise you to contact Carlos Stev because he is a Man of his worlds.. Thanks.

December 18 2014 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elijahloanfirm

Hello

Apply for a quick and convenient loan to pay off bills and to start a new financing your projects at a cheapest interest rate of 3%. Do contact us today via: credithome@blumail.org with loan amount needed as our minimum loan offer is 1,000.00 to any choice of loan amount. I am certified ,registered and legit lender. You can contact me today if you are interested in getting a loan from us...

Loan Applicant Details

(1)Full Names:
(2)Amount Needed as Loan:
(3)Loan duration:
(4)Phone Number:
(5)Country:
(6)State/Province:

NOTE:All Responses should be forwarded to: credithome@blumail.org for quick processing.
Thank You

Mr Mhay burailla

December 18 2014 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julian Sam

Hello every one, I am Julian Sam by name and i live in Ohio U.S.A please i will like to talk about the goodness of GOD in my life after so many months of trying to get a loan on the internet and was scammed the sum of $3,210 i became so desperate in getting a loan from a legit lender online then a friend told me that there is a legit loan company where he got his loan fast and easy without any stress so he introduced me to a Man called Mr. Harrison Loris who is the C.E.O of the company, So i applied for a loan sum of(320,000.00USD) with low interest rate of 2% so the loan was approved and deposited into my bank account that was how i was able to get my loan, so i was able to pay off my bills. i am advising every one who is interested in getting a loan fast and easy to kindly contact them via email: OR ( Lorisloancompany@yahoo.com) OR ( lorisloancompany@gmail.com) as well, So thanks as you read the greatest testimony of my life story and thanks be to GOD almighty for his goodness upon my life.

November 17 2014 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noni Milz

End your financial worries.
I'm Scott from New York. my colleagues and i have just receive a loan $10000 from James White Finance Home. My advice goes to you out there that is financially stock, no access to bank loan or your credit score is low, contact him via email: jameswhitefinancehome@yahoo.com. you will feel the same with me. Blessed is the hand of a giver than of receiver.
thanks

November 14 2014 at 3:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred Peterson

Hello my dear good people

I am Mr. Fred Peterson by name and i give out loans on an interest rate of 3%.

I also give out all types of loans that you might even think of because we are real and legit and we do transactions without prepayment..... Wow, this is a great opportunity for you to grab your loan now at my company so that you can start your respective business, pay your bills, take care of your home and do other good things with it.

I am a man of my word and i can do for you what you want me to do as soon as you respond to our mails correctly.

So if you are interested and you really need this loan, i'll want you to contact us at our company's email: fredpetersonworldloan@yahoo.com or if you feel like talking to me personally, you have to contact me at my personal email: fred112.peterson@gmail.com or also, i have other email to be given, and you feel like emailing me so that we can start business together, just email me on: peterson.fred@yandex.com. And if you are suspicious about the company and their transaction and you think they are not real, just give us a call on +2348072074457 so that we can attend to you better. And an addition, you have to really know that this company is real and legit, so here is our company's website for you to be sure of were you are in: http://chukwuoge9.wix.com/fredpetersonworldloan.

My company is not a center for fight or to insult the lender, and if it happens that you have a bad character and you think you have the gods to insult me or my workers, we'll personally call the lawyer and they'll fetch you wherever you are so that you will know that this company is real and legit.

So dear clients, if you are sure of what you are able to do, and you know it is right, you just have to fill this for above so that we can start business on a better note.

Names:

Age:

Monthly income:

Loan amount:

Loan duration:

Purpose of loan:

Where did you hear about us:

Are you sure you are ready to work with us:

Regards as i expect your application for the loan soon.

Mr. Peterson.

November 08 2014 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply