Chrome OS Tablet PC: Google Wants Its iPad Killer in Stores by Black Friday

Google Chrome OS Tablet PC Google reportedly is in the midst of developing its own tablet computer and aims to launch its iPad killer on the busiest shopping day of the year -- Black Friday -- according to a report at the website Download Squad.

Google (GOOG) is turning to its previous partners to create the new device, with handset maker HTC (HTCXF) dishing up the hardware and Android-phone carrier Verizon (VZ) providing the network connection, according to the report. But Google will be using its Chrome OS -- not Android -- as the operating system for the device.

The report notes that Google's tablet is expected to be heavily subsidized, a move that could pose a serious problem for Apple's (AAPL) high-flying iPad with its $499 price tag. If Apple should begin to feel the pain of competition, consumers may stand to benefit with an iPad price drop following the Nov. 26 Chrome tablet launch.

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

sgtlboone1

Well, while the companies in the states are figuring out who will sell the tablet pc's/apads etc..., I already own three with a forth on the way. Thanks to ebay, I don't have to wait till the U.S companies finish arguing about who will sell what and when. After spending time in Korea, I realized other countries get technologies at least 1 year before we do in the states, this includes countries like Canada and Europe. Once we receive them in the states, they are locked down so tight, we can't do anything with them. 1 of my pads have the android 2.1 OS and it runs great! I installed linux on one just to see what it would do, and it ran just like a small hand held computer, the last one I installed XP tablet OS and it ran ok, so I put the android OS back on it. Oh, the price tag in the states stands to be $300 higher than what I paid. I hate that my money went directly to China, but on the other hand, a portion of the money I would have spent in the U.S on the same product would have went to china anyway, so I just cut out the middle man.

August 28 2010 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raspberries0

TEST

August 25 2010 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovejane55

Chrome OS tablet? then it will named as Gablet? or ciblet? I like Google's Chrome browser, but I really hope Google and Adriod would do some innovation and can bring surprise for users, not follow behind like iPad, iPad now is really a big win, it have many market share, and the iOS have been around with the iPhone, ipad, it's yet fantastic and remarkable, and so many app developers are living on iOS like iFunia, a MAC media converter developer, Apple always can provides for a large number of infestor.

August 18 2010 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam J. Achilli

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go again..... Another "iPad KILLER".... It truly is amazing how everyone competing against APPLE has to develop a "KILLER" competitive device. I guess it goes without saying, When you are the TRUE leader in the tech world, everyone sure wnats to KILL you because they FEAR you............. I am proud to say my iPad is simply FANTASTIC, I love it. Superb resolution, unbelievable speed, and have had absolutely no problem connecting like the salesman at Best Buy said I would. Everywhere I have been I have connected. Isn't also amazing how all of APPLE's competitors become "ME TOO" developers, pure copycats.... Don't worry though, APPLE is still #1, just wait till Jan. 1st and watch the sales of the iPhone simply explode following service thru Verizon. Go APPLE, you are the true LEADER..... Even Google is a follower and second best............

August 18 2010 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joshwv10

your never gonna beat apples products regardless of if your blackberry or any other cell phones or carriers, itll never happen

August 18 2010 at 6:56 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pks29733steel

@Rick, those knockoffs from China are probably the same quality as 'Apple's' since 'Apple's' is also made in China!! Also I seen copies of 'I-Phones' (take sim cards like 'T-Mobiles' cells and another up to 32gigs for the mp3 player built into the phones) from China also that are under $90 bucks. I'm going to buy one if the 'Google' version is too pricey. I wish 'Google' luck since I used to like and use 'Apple', but since the first 'I-Phone' I went back to 'Window' products!

August 18 2010 at 5:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nathancnnn

Another APPLE KILLER. Zune was suppose to kill the ipod. Then Motorola's droid was suppose to kill the iphone. Now the 'ipad killer'. I'm not a apple 'kool-aid drinker', but give the devil it's due. Apple makes products people want.

August 18 2010 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Well you know what? You can go online and type china knockoffs on any search engine such as google.com or dogpile.com and find almost identical clones of ipads . It's crazy how these chinease can mass produce almost anything over night and make a huge profit on low priced gadgets such as this. Before you know it walmart probably will be selling knockoff gadgets as well in their stores. HAHA ;)

August 18 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Carole Ann

mtnbi12121 - Tell me which president put us in debt to China with his illegal war? There was a surplus in the treasury before Bush came into office and now we're so deep in debt to China we'll never get out. No wonder we have to take their shoddy and dangerous exports. Just how do you expect a new President to fix 8 years of ruin in a short time?

August 18 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carole Ann's comment
dannin

CA if you think BUSH put us in debt with the Chinese you are on drugs. Oh and you lefties blame Bush for 9/11 after 7 months in office but the golden boy Obama is not to blame after almost 2 years (and 4 years of DEM control of Congress) Just when IS IT going to be Obamas fault for anything? Bush inherited a recession and an economic meltdown on 9/11 but managed to rebound the economy. And lie and spin all you want, it was you DEMs who created the housing bubble and had Barney Frank and his boyfriend lie about Freddie and Fannie and tank the economy, not to mention all the scumbags who overbought or used their equity as ATMs to buy Cars and vacations. Yet it's always Bush's fault. Yeah right.

August 18 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paulatkinson22

Apple leads the pack time and time again with each new an innovative product. Everyone else can only claim to have the next "i" killer this or that while secretly harboring envy and resentment. Each and every time they fail. Maybe these other companies should focus on being first with something of their own and setting their own bar rather than constantly trying to catch up to Apple. Oh, I forgot, that means they'd have to invent something original. Me, I'll keep buying Apple.

August 18 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply