EarningsCenter

Clothing company Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF) reported earnings of $19.5 million, or 22 cents per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $26.7 million, or 30 cents per diluted share, a year earlier.

Net sales for the second quarter, including direct-to-consumer net sales, gained 17% to $745.8 million, the company said in a statement. Comparable store sales rose 5%.

"We are pleased with the progress we are making as we pursue our strategy of leveraging the international appeal of our iconic brands to build a highly profitable, sustainable, global business," CEO Mike Jeffries said.

Earnings for the 13 weeks ending July 31, 2010 include a non-cash asset impairment charge of 2 cents per diluted share associated with expected store closures. Earnings from the 13 weeks ending Aug.1, 2009 included a net loss per basic and diluted share of 21 cents from discontinued operations.

The company expects to open a total of about 38 stores in fiscal 2010, and close about 60.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

Fresh Tea

Wow just can't believe A & F is closing stores. They made a very rude statement to keep the parents of the teens out of the store by playing loud music and terrible lighting and acting the the adults were the enemy. Just can't feel sorry for them.

August 22 2010 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dcb523stl

It's a crying shame that A & F sells the cheap garbage compared to what the original founders sold-high quality clothing that would last.

August 17 2010 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danceshorses

Opening 38 stores and closing 60? Net loss of 22 stores. More people out of work. We recently lost a large chain buffet resturant here. Our government is saying things are improving but that is not what many of us are seeing.. New government jobs while the private sector is shutting down... We must remember that all the government does is consume wealth as the government manufactures nothing tangible. Only private sector jobs produce tangible products and therefore wealth. Drive the private sector out and it wll all cease to exist. Our government is squandering money faster than we can produce. Our government is driving jobs and wealth to other countries like China. It will get worse unless the American people learn to stand up and retake control of our government.

August 17 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Joebudgie

When they were a real store, back in ancient times, 1960's and 70's I used to shop there. You could count on them to have hard to find sports items of all kinds. I bet they were making money then. But since they covered their windows so there is nothing on display to the passerby and you can't see in I have no interest in spending any more money with them. I felt like I walked down a dark alley in the middle of some town, very uncomfortable. Then a "bouncy" female sales clerk asked if she could help me find anything. I said no, I was just looking and she disappeared not to be seen again. Their stores look like night clubs with sexy posters on the inside instead of outside the door to attract customers.

August 17 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
pb185

CAn't say I'm surprised. If you look at their ads in store and otherwise it shows these well tended, VERY preppie looking models who look like they are enjoying Prep school or Harvard, Dartmouth, and the IVY League. I wouldn't shop there because I am not from the Upper East Side of NYC, or the tony suburbs of COnnecticut. Besides their prices match their appeal to that clientele or their wannabees.
They are not appealing to the normal average young person...and let's face it , there's more of us than them.

August 17 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
my12bear

It's goog they're closing. the people there are so ignorant. One time I was out shopping w/ my cousin and she dragged me in the store and I tried on a top a size small and I ripped it. One salesperson gave me a dirty look and one guy (also an employee) was trying not to laugh. I got the same shirt in a medium and I ripped that too. The salesperson looked at my cousin & said, "tell her to come back when she loses at least 30 pounds." and she did nothing to defend me. NEVER go in that store unless if you wanna be made fun of.

August 17 2010 at 7:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gocavs2011

I agree with the comments about them overdoing it with the perfume, the music being too loud, and the darkness being a way to run people off. The perfume makes me stuffy, the loud music gives me headaches, and I prefer to shop in places that feel like welcoming stores, not dungeons. Also, has anyone noticed that these stores have some of the least helpful staff members around? I prefer American Eagle, the clothes aren't covered in cologne, the music is a fine volume, and it's well lit. AE's clothes also seem to be better quality (nothing I've bought from there has ever ripped or anything) for a lot less money.

August 17 2010 at 7:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
etraciesplace

GOOD FOR THEIR RACISTS BEHINDS!!

August 17 2010 at 7:16 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mom and Dad

Abercrombie and Itch. Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.

August 17 2010 at 6:42 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
rlevin5962

They started off years ago as a fine, well respected sporting goods store. Now they are just smut pedders. Just look at the pics on the wall and ask yourself if that's what you want to influence your kids? Not me. I refused to patronize them after seeing that garbage. I don't want to see anyone go out of business but I think they'll need to change their image if they want to become profitable again.

August 17 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply