Whoops! NY Post Mixes Up Black Media Moguls in Obama Swipe

Desiree RogersThe New York Post has had a somewhat contentious relationship with black New Yorkers over the past couple years, and it didn't help matters this weekend with a story that mixed up two African-American media powerhouses in a clumsy attempt to discredit a prominent supporter of President Barack Obama.

The item in Sunday's "Page Six" gossip column claimed that former White House social secretary Desiree Rogers is a hypocrite for taking a job as CEO of Johnson Publishing because "her new boss, Bob Johnson, who also founded Black Entertainment Television, was one of Obama's harshest critics."

More Than One Black Owner of a Media Business

The only problem with the Post's reasoning: Bob Johnson has nothing to do with Johnson Publishing, which is run by Linda Johnson Rice, daughter of deceased founder John H. Johnson, and which publishes Ebony and Jet magazines. A number of sharp-eyed Post readers pointed out the error in the comments section of the website. "Bob Johnson isn't the only black man to have owned a media company," wrote one.

A fresh appearance of racial insensitivity is the last thing the Post needs after a year in which the paper's owner, News Corp. (NWS) Chairman Rupert Murdoch, was forced to apologize for one of the paper's editorial cartoons, which critics believed equated President Obama with a deranged chimpanzee and suggested he ought to be shot. That was followed by a pair of lawsuits filed by ex-employees who accused the paper of systematically discriminating against minority workers.

I emailed "Page Six" editor Richard Johnson -- who you'd think would be aware of how many people share his last name -- to see if the item will be corrected, but haven't heard back yet.

----------------
Note: This article was updated at 6:23 p.m. to correct Desiree Rogers's name.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

polows

So what? A Black man on the subway on Sunday asked me if I was on it the night before; he found it hard to believe me when I said I wasn't. Again, so what?

August 17 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hi bev

The NY Post is a very slanted paper. Like most papers these days they print only their views and don't give you the whole story so you can actually make up your own mind. I wish there was a paper that would just tell me ALL the facts about a subject and remember that I am the one that should be making my own mind about the issues. The media is one of the biggest reasons we have who we have in office today. They slanted the news and didn't give us all the facts, just who they wanted us to vote for. I, for one, didn't fall for it and researched myself enabling me to make the best choice and that sure wasn't Obama.

August 17 2010 at 9:24 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lima16

NY POST ALL THE NEWS NOT FIT TO PRINT>

August 17 2010 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
latease11

Whoever you people are God dont like ugly and I dont mean looks I mean your ways instead of namecalling fingerpointing take a stand lend a helping hand. Bottom line is its time for change not for the worst, but for the better. You negative people are your own worst enemy! When I say my prayers at night I pray for the entire nation, Why dont you try it, its less stressful May God Bless and keep us!

August 16 2010 at 8:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
t

Isn't it so ironic that it’s now racism that has a stranglehold on the growth of America. The Media that conditioned the citizens to think and act in certain way, cannot reverse the conditioning and the country is at a stalemate. The good news is now coming from China and there's nothing to write home about our beloved country but hatred for others.

August 16 2010 at 4:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
luis122494

ANYONE THAT READ THE POST HAVE A POOR SELF IMAGE THIS IS THE BIGGEST GARBAGE IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK

August 16 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Hughes

I'm black, however I do not wish to accuse everyone of being racist. The article states the New York Post mixed up two families. Failure to check the facts is poor Journalism.

August 16 2010 at 4:23 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Antoinette

C'mon folks, when will some of you get it? The President is the first African American President. His Father, African and his Mother, American. The "White" man determined if you have any "black" blood in your bloodline no matter how small, then you are black. Just following the rules...Also, Bi-racial is any two races combined not just caucasian and negro. Mr. Obama is truly caught in the middle of all that is crazy when folks start talking race.

August 16 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henry Fool

RACISTS! WHY PAGE SIX AND NOT PAGE ONE!! BLACK NEWS SHOULD BE ON PAGE ONE, YOU RACISTS!!!

August 16 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Henry Fool's comment
Janet

Enough with the "POLITICALLY CORRECT" CRAP. RACIST MY BUTT. Our bought and paid for President has never been man enough to stand up and say "I am the FIRST "BI-RACIAL" PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA" NO. Why is Obama ASHAMED? Obamas runs with the "FIRST "BLACK" PRESIDENT. How do you respect that?

August 16 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Janet's comment
linmarco

You have answered the question I have been asking myself for all these many
months. Thank you. Now I know the real reason so many whites are so angry at the president.

August 16 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Janeyre

Why? When he was running, most White's ignored the fact that he was bi-racial. So what? Just what is your point? Now that he is President, all of a sudden he is bi-racial... He always was that. Your people, just didn't care to say it...

August 16 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply