iPhone 4 antennaMark Papermaster, Apple's (AAPL) senior executive for iPhone hardware, has left the company, leaving behind a firestorm of controversy surrounding the iPhone 4 and its antenna problems, according to the New York Times.

Papermaster, a former long-time IBM (IBM) executive who joined Apple 15 months ago, oversaw the computer maker's iPhone and iPod hardware engineering teams as senior vice president of hardware engineering. According to the report, Papermaster's Apple troubles extended beyond the iPhone 4.

Papermaster encountered static long before the iPhone 4 launched in late June. According to the Wall Street Journal, the hardware executive had lost the confidence of Apple CEO Steve Jobs months ago and stopped participating in much of the iPhone 4 decision making process (something that may work in Papermaster's favor should he want to distance himself from the antenna woes).

Papermaster's experience at buttoned-down Big Blue also didn't translate well at Apple's blue jean offices, the WSJ reported. At Apple, executives are expected handle every minor detail of a project as opposed to delegating tasks to someone else. Add to that a layer of office politics that Papermaster reportedly lacked skill in navigating.

Executive Shuffle

The iPhone 4, while heralded for its crisp screen and video chat features, has been hit hard with complaints surrounding dropped calls and poor reception problems attributed to its unique antenna design that's incorporated into a metal band that runs along the outer edge of the phone. Apple recently launched a limited offer of free iPhone 4 bumpers to rectify the problem, after a Consumer Reports review confirmed Apple's bumpers could do as a workaround.

Consumer Reports
, however, still is not recommending the iPhone 4 until a permanent fix for the reception issue is addressed.

The iPhone 4's antenna problem wasn't the only glitch. Production delays resulted in not one but two rescheduled launch dates for the white iPhone 4.

Bob Mansfield, a senior vice president of Macintosh hardware engineering, will take over Papermaster's responsibilities, the report noted. Apparently Mansfield is no stranger to the iPhone 4, having played a role in developing its A4 chip, Retina display and touch screens.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see if Papermaster returns to IBM. When he was preparing to jump to Apple, Big Blue weighed in with a lawsuit over Papermaster's noncompete clause that eventually was resolved.

This story was updated at 12:40 on August 9, 2010.

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

Finding Stock Ideas

Learn to do your research and find investments.

cloveco

what a bunch of weiners at apple!

August 10 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richolofson@me.com

I cancelled my order! Happy with my 3G(S)..

August 10 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom and Marilyn

Tom and Marilyn

Marilyn has an iPhone 3G 8gb and Tom has a iPhone 3Gs with 32 gb. These two cell phones coupled with the fantastic applications are one of the best things that has ever happened to us with technology. We are glued to the cell phones. WE love them! I especially love the AT & T Navigation Application - it has saved me from getting completely lost multiple times. We will be iPhone users until we are 6 feet under. I know nothing about the iPhone 4. No comments.

August 10 2010 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bad ass

I have the iPhone 3G which is good but the 3Gs is still the best iPhone Apple has made, even though it's the Chinese that's selling him the technology not Apple that's coming up with it. How is it that my Pinphone had a radio way before the iphone and gave you video way before the 3Gs. It's the Chinese people that has the technology. But I must say I like my 3G and I jail broke it to you Simple Mobile as my carrier. I only pay $60.00 usd for unlimited talk, txt, long distance, international talk & txt a long with unlimited internet service. Now no one out there can beat that. If you want the iphone to work to it's full capacity jail break the phone like I did plus I waited until I found someone selling it for only a $130.00 USD not that the shiznit.

August 09 2010 at 10:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
DAN KILLION

there going to be like toyota have a great big black eye and loose sales all because of greed....the goverment stupidity and corp greed has trashed not only this country but the world as a whole....we havent seen the worst yet...stay tuned

August 09 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I LOL everytime I think of the fools who parked on sidewalks to but Apple's piece of junk. If your the kind of idiot who just has to be the first to have anything, then you get all the bugs they come with at twice the price it will sell for in 6 months with more features and less e-vermin. Apple customers...the best show on earth without a 3 drink minimum.

August 09 2010 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
miss hurdle

i dont love em or hate em(apple) iphones or anything they make.most of there stuff is way to high in price for me.and yea i got the evo-4g phone it work fabulously never had a dropped call and it even work in the hospital where most people lose siganl.all cell phone compsny have some kinda issues weither it be rice dropped calls no good data plans or custermer service you will find aleast one fault no matter what company shoot i love my evo-4g its my baby best phone i ever had.

August 09 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to miss hurdle's comment
skyyylahhh

i have the iphone 4 never had a problem periodd. works flawless. i am in low signal places and have the 3g network. never had a dropped call either. iphone 4 is the best phone ive ever had :)

August 09 2010 at 8:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
denoferth

So working at Apple involves fitting into a bunch of know-it-all aging hippie control freaks. Doesn't sound like an environment where creative people would flourish. Maybe a little like the Menlo Park sweat shop where the wizard took credit for any innovative idea and canned anyone who disagreed with him. No wonder Papermaster left. One question; is there anyone at Apple who ever served in the military?

August 09 2010 at 6:33 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Whobrey

I have owned my iPhone since the release date and have had no problems. Has any calls dropped? Of course they have. I will not lie about it, with that being said, EVERY phone I have ever owned in my life have dropped a call or two, or three. No phone, I don't care how much you pay for it will NEVER drop a call. Does you cable go out? Does your internet go down? Does you home phone every need repaired? Of course they do. Nothing is perfect, we are dealing with a "machine" people. If you don't like the iPhone, don't but it. Don't invest in the product, it's really that simple. FYI, I know it's a small number of people, but at least 10 people I know have the iPhone4 and they too have had only minor dropped calls. If people really want to be upset about that, they need to look into At&t's service. But again, there are other cell phones/companys out there, don't buy the iPhone.

August 09 2010 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carlassinferior

i havent really had a problem with my iphone4. i think in the month that ive had it ive had only one dropped call...and i dont use a bumper or anything. bars do drop when you hold the bottom left corner, but mine usually doesnt drop below two bars while i hold it with the "death grip." the htc evo lost wifi bars inside the sprint store when i held it with the "death grip," but no one seems to bitch about it. verizon has the best reception of all the carriers, but that has been the case way before the iphone or droidx. still, in all honesty, i get great reception anywhere i go with my iphone. the only places ive really lost reception completely on my phone were when i was "holding it the wrong way" inside the bathroom lol and when i was driving through the hills. my gf has a behold with tmobile and she loses reception easier than i do. apple is probably going to start shipping the free bumpers and cases this week or next, hence helping with the reception issue. people who own iphones/ipod touch's usually buy cases anyway, so now theyre getting them for free and theyre getting the problem resolved. people just LOVE to hate a company that is at the top of the food chain in everything they do. when macs became the best computers in the world people found an excuse not to buy them ("they dont have many games for the mac" the naysayers proclaimed), and now people want to bash on the newest mac product.

August 09 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply