Spirit Air jetSpirit Airlines said its controversial new fee for carry-on bags was a success on its first day.

The new fees, which went into effect on Sunday, aim to cut delays by discouraging customers from stuffing overhead compartments on planes, the Associated Press reported. Spirit is the first airline in the industry to introduce such a fee.

"The check-in process is going well so far," company spokeswoman Misty Pinson said Sunday afternoon. "It looks like this is going to speed things up."

Spirit charges a $30 fee at check-in for any bag that is too big to fit under the passenger's seat. If passengers wait until they get to the boarding gate to pay, the fee goes up to $45. Certain items such as umbrellas and strollers are exempt from the fee.

Spirit says it has cut ticket prices and that the reduction in delays could allow it to add new flights.

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

Investment Strategies

What's your investing game plan?

SID

if they ar going to do this why not just take out the overhead bins all togeather and get $100 per bag from any one. yes larger caryons are anoying and stuff butt they call it one carryon and one persinal item soon we will have to pay for evey thing including water

May 03 2012 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheercurlz

A 16" X 14" X 12" carry on bag is FREE. If that isn't large enough for you, then you have no idea how to travel. I'm thrilled that Spirit implemented these fees, as I am sick to death of idiots who drag everything short of the kitchen sink onboard and then tie up the aisles while they unload their crap.

August 02 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cheercurlz's comment
BSuzzyque

I agree, nothing worse than paying to check your bag and then after you get on the airplane you have to wait for everyone to store their oversized bag. I have to put my computer bag under the seat as there is not enough room up above and be uncomfortable the whole trip. Total inconsideration for fellow passengers

August 02 2010 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beemerboxer

When is this cheesy outfit going to put dollar slots on the toilets? Or perhaps charge for a reclining seat? They may well nickel and dime themselves out of business at this rate. I will avoid them like the plague.

August 02 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
assign11

This new charge is unstainable long term and the Spirit Executive(s) who thought this up will go just like the Democrats come election - in the unemployment line.
I fly Southwest Airlines only in the US even if it means driving a distance to my destination.

August 02 2010 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjgreco

The last time I flew Spirit Air, I paid for the big seats up front ( the old first class seats ). The person next to me openned the arm rest to put his
drink down when he noticed that the tray was covered with live cock roaches.
The plane was that dirty and smelly.

August 02 2010 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
napoli1986

GREAT!!! Now it is only a matter of time when the other airlines will do the same!!!!!

August 02 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maestro

they are following the new European model of charging for everything. In Europe on all "low cost" airlines, you are allowed 20 kilos (44 pounds)...total! Anything over that is 10 euros (that's right!) per kilo (2.2 pounds). I arrived from NY in Brussels and took Brussels Airlines to Geneva, Switzerland. This round trip (Brussels-Geneva) was a separate ticket to "save money". There was no charge for my one checked bag on Continental to Brussels (22 kilos/50 pounds) and no charge for my carry on and backpack. When I arrived to check in for the flight to Geneva, I was told the rules of this "no-frills" ticket. My carry-on weighed 15 kilos (33 pounds) and my backpack weighed 8 kilos (19.5 pounds). This "no frills" round- trip ticket cost 185 euros ($240) but...the extra baggage fee cost me 230 euros ($300)...each way!!!! Total cost on the "no frills" airline: $840. Buckle up America, it's coming our way, too!

August 02 2010 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tomshawed

How can we screw the customer out of more money, then provide the same service we always have, or perhaps give the customer an even harder time. Spirit...don't forget, without customers you have nothing! Now that I have a ticket, how about charging me for a seat too! Want a window seat, that will be $50 more. An aisle seat..$75. Would you like some oxygen with your recycled stale air...$30 more. When you leave the plane you have the choice of jumping from the aircraft door to the tarmack for free, however if you choose to use the jetway, $25 more.....oh, I should not make these suggestions, they might just impose them.

August 02 2010 at 1:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Fatboys Rule

I will no longer fly Spirit, these additional fees are becoming ludicrous. The only way the air line can continue to charge these fees is if we (frequent flyers) allow it. It's time to draw the line in the sand....

August 02 2010 at 1:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bpante

When the UNION THUG Scare Bus drivers walked off the job they should have been replaced. There are thousands of real Pilot out of work who whoul have gladley taken them paychecks. Spirit will be going out of buisness.

August 02 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bpante's comment
trnichols17

bpante;Learn how to put a thought together bud!Union thugs had nothing to do with this.Next time don't get your Pante in a twist,fly something else,like a broomstick!Have a nice day.By the way you could learn how to spell too.

August 02 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply