If you are searching, look carefully, though. Some art scholarships are specific to a state or a college, so it is well advised to do a scholarship search in order to find the art scholarship that best suits you. An obvious place to start is www.scholarships.com.
Oftentimes, art scholarships work a little differently than other types of scholarships. According to Online Education Database, there are three distinct ways an art scholarship can be awarded.
- An art student can win a scholarship through academic achievements, a good GPA, and distinct talent in his or her preferred medium.
- Art scholarships can also be won as the result of an art competition, where the student's artwork is placed in competition with the work of his or her peers.
- Art scholarships can be awarded to talented students in classes taught by certain professors at certain art schools.
Here is a list from OED with some of the best art scholarships available:
- Academy of Motion Pictures Student Academy Awards -- $2,000 to $5,000 awarded each year to 3-12 undergraduate or graduate students majoring in filmmaking/video.
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences College Television Awards -- $500 to $2,000 awarded each year to 25 undergraduate or graduate students majoring in Arts, Performing Arts and other areas.
- Alpha Delta Kappa Foundation -- $1,000 to $5,000 awarded each year to up to six undergraduate and graduate students majoring in arts or music.
- Beinecke Scholarship for Graduate Study -- $2,000 to $30,000 awarded to 18-22 undergraduate and graduate students through nomination only and majoring in arts and other areas.
- Donna Reed Performing Arts Scholarship - $200 to $1,000 awarded each year to up to six undergraduate students majoring in performing arts.
- Florence Lemcke Memorial Scholarship in Fine Arts ,- $300 awarded each year to one freshman student who is a child of a veteran and majoring in art history, fine arts, humanities or English.
- John F. and Anna Lee Stacey Scholarship,-- $1,000 to $4,000 awarded each year to 3-5 undergraduate and graduate students majoring in arts.
- National Art Honor Society Scholarship -- $2,000 to $20,000 awarded each year to five undergraduate students majoring in arts.
- National Sculpture Society Scholarships -- $1,000 awarded each year to 1-6 undergraduate and graduate students majoring in arts.