Shop smart: April is a great time to buy
- Vacuum cleaners
- Candy (after Easter)
- Used cars
- And a special shout-out to new car deals this month, as other car manufacturers scramble to meet Toyota's recall-induced specials
Save money by postponing buying these items, which usually sell at top dollar in April
- Trees and shrubs
- Swim suits
- Yard furniture including grills
- Golf clubs
Save or make some money
- Watch for tax day (April 15) giveaways: every year retailers offer freebies to soothe that IRS sting.
- Buy your tickets for minor league baseball while the best dates are still available: 90% of the fun of major leagues games at 25% of the price.
- Find frugal alternatives for prom night: swap clothes, hit up friends for transportation, find low-cost entertainment.
- Students looking for summer work: Now is the time to distribute fliers for your lawn mowing, pet walking, babysitting services.
- Watch for fine forgiveness days during National Library Week (April 11-17).
- Start a compost heap to save on mulch and fertilizer.
Do your home chores
- Clean the cutting chamber of your mower.
- Sharpen your mower blade.
- Apply weed and insect control to your lawn.
- Check your gutters for sag, missing hangers.
- Schedule maintenance for your air-conditioning system.
- Take care of any tasks needed in your attic before it gets too hot up there.
- Lubricate door and window hinges.
Enjoy seasonal foods
- Green spring garlic
- Strawberries from Florida.
- Artichokes from California.
- Dandelion Greens from my yard (please help yourself).
- Ramps, a wild onion that grows in the Appalachians, a pungent treat that spawns whole festivals.
- Maple Syrup
- Ham (Easter sales)
- Candy (after Easter)
- Eggs (You don't HAVE to color them)
- Make your decision about where you'll attend college or do your post-grad work.
- Inform the school you've selected.
- Inform the schools you've declined.
And don't forget to celebrate
- April Fool's Day, April 1
- Good Friday, April 2
- Easter, April 4
- Baby Massage Day, April 10
- Tax Freedom Day, April 13
- National Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day, April 16
- International Whistler's Week, April 14-18
- Consumer Awareness Week (April 19-24: as a consumer, I'm wondering why we were shorted two days on this week?)
- National Scoop the Poop Week: April 24-30
- Financial Literacy Month
- National DNA & Genomics & Stem Cell Education & Awareness Month (Whew)
- National Garden Month
- Pet First Aid Awareness Month