It is expected that the 10 billionth song will sell sometime before the end of February; as millions of songs are sold every day and the pace quickens when Apple announces a contest like this.
The iTunes music store has celebrated several milestones in the past including;
- 500 million songs on July 18, 2005
- 1 billion songs on February 23, 2006
- 2 billion songs on January 26, 2007
- 3 billion songs on July 31, 2007
- 4 billion songs on January 15, 2008
- 5 billion songs on June 19, 2008
- 6 billion songs on January 6, 2009
- 8 billion songs on July 21, 2009
More recently Apple celebrated the billionth app download from the iTunes App Store by giving 13-year-old Connor Mulcahey a 10,000 iTunes gift card, an iPod Touch, a Time Capsule and a MacBook Pro for downloading the Bump app in April 2009.
While the prize this time is less than other milestone gifts, and absent of an iPad, it's still a hefty reward for simply downloading a song. You can enter up to 25 times a day so long as you are 13 or older and live in a country which iTunes is available. If you don't want to purchase a song to enter, you can fill out the no purchase necessary entry form for a free chance to win -- but you'll have to time it just right to win that way.