From IRAs to 529s, our experts answer your questions

NYSE boardWith Christmas and New Year's just days away, WalletPop hopes to spread some holiday cheer. Here are answers to some of your questions to help usher in 2010 on the right financial footing.

Question: We're retirees age 70 and older holding an IRA rollover. In 2010, will we have to take money/stock out of our IRA? In 2009, we did not have to.
--Barbara J. LeFeve

Answer from Gary Lesser, author of Quick Reference to IRAs: For 2009 Contributions
The relief available for 2009 required minimum distributions (RMD) has not been extended. Thus, absent another extension (which I believe is unlikely), the next required minimum distribution from the taxpayer's traditional IRA will be for calendar year 2010. That distribution -- the 2010 distribution -- must be made by Dec. 31, 2010. However, for individuals reaching age 70 1/2 in 2010, the traditional IRA RMD amount may be distributed up until April 15, 2011.

: I used to work for Anheuser Busch and have two loans from my 401(k). Now that the company has been sold, my payments are no longer automatically taken out of my paycheck. My wife and I are trying hard to get out of debt.

As I understand it, if I default on the loans, I have to claim the balance due as income, pay the taxes on that, and pay a 10% penalty to the government. My balance owed on the two loans is $30,000. If I've done my math right, I could owe $11,000+ for next year's income taxes. Do I have a better option for getting out from under these loans? Obviously, paying the monthly payment through the term is the best option, but I'd really like to get out from under that debt. I don't mind taking the loss on my 401(k), but I don't want to have to take out a loan to pay the $11,000 in taxes, either. Any advice here?
--Todd in Florida

Answer from Joseph A. Leonard, author of The Retirement Vault: A Guide to Protecting Your Assets in an Age of Uncertainty
The best way is, of course, to just pay off the loan from cash, but if that is not available, then you can keep paying the monthly installments. Depending on what kind of interest you are paying on the note. Another option could be to get a personal loan or other bank/home equity loan at a lower interest rate and pay it off that way. Make sure your option is at the lowest rate available to you -- not just the easiest way to get a loan. In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is default on this and pay the taxes and the penalty. That should not even be an option. It looks like you have already done the research on your choices and know how bad taxes and penalties could be. Go forward with finding the complete rates and home equity options available.

Question: What should I do if my 529 appears to be tanking?
--Paula Keung, Long Island City, New York

Answer from Tim Higgins, author of How to Pay for College Without Sacrificing Your Retirement
If your 529 plan investments appear to be tanking, then I would look long and hard at the underlying funds that you hold within your plan. You may be invested too aggressively for your risk tolerance, given the fact that you are uncomfortable with the volatility. Perhaps you have all of your account invested in just one stock/mutual fund.

An easy solution to consider is that most plans have asset allocation fund options. These investments are many investments in one, many times holding six to 10 mutual funds within one strategy. All you need to do is pick your risk tolerance: conservative, moderately conservative, moderate, moderately aggressive or aggressive. Look at the track records of these funds over the past few years and evaluate what levels of fluctuation you are most comfortable with. You can find out information about your investment holdings by going to the Web site listed on your statement.

A "tanking" 529 account is more an issue of investment selection within the account, rather than specific 529 plan per se. Most 529 plans offer similar investment options and strategies; some differ slightly on options and fees within the accounts. However, those aren't most likely the reasons why one would "tank" and another would not. It is investment selection that you, or you and your advisor, have chosen. Therefore, to simplify your next action steps, I would encourage you to focus on what allocation funds you have available to you within your current plan, and worry less about what other plans have to offer. But, if you would like to do some additional research, Savingforcollege has a lot of great information.

One of the most important things to consider is how much time you have before your child goes off to college. If your son or daughter still has over 10 years, you can afford to be a little more aggressive in the account. However, if your student is high school age, I strongly encourage you to lean toward more conservative options. We have had a strong market rally since March, which may be a good time to take some earnings off the table, but more importantly, you have much less time before you will need to access the funds. For most families, suffering a 20% decline in their account right before having to access the money hurts a lot more than the pleasure of gaining 20%. Therefore, with a shorter time frame, opt for more conservative options -- this should prevent any further "tanking."

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

View Course »

How to Avoid Financial Scams

Avoid getting duped by financial scams.

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

Video: Tax Guidelines About Gifting

Note: Some of the content of this video applies only to taxes prepared prior to 2012. It is included here for reference only. Find out the tax guidelines about gifting with help from TurboTax in this video on tax tips.

Video: What are Income Tax Rates?

Note: The content of this video applies only to taxes prepared for 2010. It is included here for reference only. Income tax rates change depending on both the amount of money you make and how you made it. Find out about income tax rates with help from TurboTax in this video on tax tips.

Video: How To Reduce Errors on Your Tax Return

Did you know that errors on your tax return can affect the amount of your tax bill and the amount of time it takes to get a refund? Fortunately, TurboTax helps you avoid errors AND be sure you're getting all the tax deductions and credits you deserve.

Does Your Company Need to File Form 1095-B?

A company is responsible for filing IRS Form 1095-B only if two conditions apply: It offers health coverage to its employees, and it is "self-insured." This means that the company itself pays its employees' medical bills, rather than an insurance company. A company that doesn't meet both conditions won't have to deal with Form 1095-B. Its employees might still receive a 1095-B, but from their insurer, not the employer.

Video: Who Qualifies for an Affordable Care Act Exemption (Obamacare)?

The Affordable Care Act requires all Americans to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty. But, who qualifies for an Affordable Care Act exemption? Find out more about who qualifies for an exemption from the Affordable Care Act tax penalty, how to claim an exemption on your tax return and how the Affordable Care Act may affect your taxes with this video from TurboTax.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum