Everyone wants the latest in fashion, but paying $169.99 for a new home jersey that doesn't look much different than the 2009 model seems like a waste of money.
The best news is that the new jersey costs $10 less than the old one, but that may be more a sign of the recession than of the Twins subtly trying to offer a deal on something that is outrageously priced to begin with.
Teams such as the Twins, which are opening a new stadium in 2010, typically try to take advantage of fans' enthusiasm for the new ballpark by selling them new logos, uniforms and other "new" items tied to the initial season. It's an easy way to get people to spend more money while enjoying the new digs.
It's like buying a new couch when you move to a new house because your old couch doesn't look so good after being in your old home for a dozen years.
Many of the changes the Twins are making are slight and won't be noticed by casual fans. The new home uniforms, for example, have a slightly altered "Twins" script. Big deal. There are also myriad jerseys available with the different look, such as road jerseys and "throwback" jerseys worn on Saturday home games.
According to a Twins' press release, plans for the new uniforms and logos include:
- Inaugural season logo will be featured on the official commemorative baseballs and bases to be used during all Twins home games as well as on the team's home uniforms and caps in 2010.
- Primary logo will be on road jerseys and on the home throwback jersey.
- 50th season logo will be on 2010 road jerseys and on the home throwback jersey.
- Primary home uniform listed above.
- Secondary throwback uniform like one worn in 1961 when the Twins came to Minneapolis-St. Paul that will be worn on opening day and every home Saturday game.
- Primary road uniform with solid grey and no pinstripes featuring a "Minnesota" script inspired by the team's original "Minnesota" script on players jackets from 1961-1986.
I guess it beats having a jersey of one of the greatest Twins outfielders ever -- Tori Hunter -- who now plays for the Los Angeles Angels. Hunter's jersey is a steal at $100.