Comedian Steven Wright once said that he planned to leave his body to science fiction. Today though, many Americans are opting not to wait until they're dead; and they aren't leaving it for free either. Rising unemployment has more Americans looking for odd jobs to scrape together a living, and university experiments and plasma donations are one way to do that.

The Detroit News reports on one Kalamazoo College student who sold her hair for $1,000. Across the country, students are offering up parts of their body to help defray the soaring cost of college. For older people, $50 per week for plasma donations can help put food on the table or save up for a down payment on a car.

While the big bucks come from giving up parts of your body, it's also possible to earn a nice little side income from participating in non-invasive projects. Harvard University's psychology department pays $10 per hour for participation in its experiments. Of course there's the off-chance that you could end up scarred for life by a modern-day Stanford Prison Experiment but hey: $10 is $10, and there's always the chance of hitting the class-action jackpot if something goes wrong.

If you're looking for a quick buck by participating in research, here are some links to help get you started: If you live near a local research university (community colleges and liberal arts colleges may have limited opportunities too) check the web sites of various departments -- psychology, linguistics, kinesiology, etc. -- to find listings of experiments and find out how much you'll get paid.

Finally, a call to action for a future story: If you've paid for college or some other major expense by selling body parts or participating in research, WalletPop wants to hear from YOU. Please contact me at ZBissonnette@gmail.com

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Ashley Wallace

I am interested in selling my body to science after death I am type 1 diabetic if it makes a difference
wallaceashley1990@gmail.com

Yesterday at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Battles

I'm willing to sell a kidney or possibly other body parts for right price my email is chrisershane1991@Gmail.com

August 17 2015 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stargazer Ofthethird

i am kelly short..my email address is kshort1959@gmail.com...i willing to sell a kidney, or a cornia, or plasma..or skin for grafts...or sell my body to science now, for after death, i am an organ donor on my licence, but i need money right now, to help save my sons, life...please contact me...my blood type is O-...i will match anyone , we need the help, please

May 13 2015 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn Drew

My name is Shawn Drew and I will sell my kidney for the right price. I would even be willing to sell other parts for the right price. And yes my body is for sell also. You can claim it after I die. My email address is drsha922@yahoo.com.

May 11 2015 at 8:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Gillies

I own a boat....I need to sell my body for some cash, you can have it when I die
Thanks, Mark det1990@hotmail.com

March 29 2015 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shovelhead66budd.bud

I have cancer and got about 5 years left and ill sell my body to do my bucket list, shovelhead66budd@aol.com ,with any info,thanks

January 20 2015 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty Jumper

I am seriously interested in selling a kidney to science. You must respond quickly. First goood offer gets it. Email me at ... pattyjumper@ymail.com
A.S.A.P.

August 10 2014 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
perry ellison

Am Perry Ellison from Nigeria. Ready to sell one of my kidney for $150,000. If
you are interested contact [perryellison31@gmail.com] OR call me at
+2347033354868, blood type is o+

June 07 2014 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tyler

Serious about selling whole body now for science/ after death

January 13 2014 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctez70

I would like to sell my body so I will have the money to help fix up the rest of my house and do a few other things

December 13 2013 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply