Comedian Steven Wright once said that he planned to leave his body to science fiction. Today though, many Americans are opting not to wait until they're dead; and they aren't leaving it for free either. Rising unemployment has more Americans looking for odd jobs to scrape together a living, and university experiments and plasma donations are one way to do that.

The Detroit News reports on one Kalamazoo College student who sold her hair for $1,000. Across the country, students are offering up parts of their body to help defray the soaring cost of college. For older people, $50 per week for plasma donations can help put food on the table or save up for a down payment on a car.

While the big bucks come from giving up parts of your body, it's also possible to earn a nice little side income from participating in non-invasive projects. Harvard University's psychology department pays $10 per hour for participation in its experiments. Of course there's the off-chance that you could end up scarred for life by a modern-day Stanford Prison Experiment but hey: $10 is $10, and there's always the chance of hitting the class-action jackpot if something goes wrong.

If you're looking for a quick buck by participating in research, here are some links to help get you started: If you live near a local research university (community colleges and liberal arts colleges may have limited opportunities too) check the web sites of various departments -- psychology, linguistics, kinesiology, etc. -- to find listings of experiments and find out how much you'll get paid.

Finally, a call to action for a future story: If you've paid for college or some other major expense by selling body parts or participating in research, WalletPop wants to hear from YOU. Please contact me at

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

Ashley Wallace

I am interested in selling my body to science after death I am type 1 diabetic if it makes a difference

August 28 2015 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Battles

I'm willing to sell a kidney or possibly other body parts for right price my email is

August 17 2015 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stargazer Ofthethird

i am kelly email address is willing to sell a kidney, or a cornia, or plasma..or skin for grafts...or sell my body to science now, for after death, i am an organ donor on my licence, but i need money right now, to help save my sons, life...please contact blood type is O-...i will match anyone , we need the help, please

May 13 2015 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn Drew

My name is Shawn Drew and I will sell my kidney for the right price. I would even be willing to sell other parts for the right price. And yes my body is for sell also. You can claim it after I die. My email address is

May 11 2015 at 8:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Gillies

I own a boat....I need to sell my body for some cash, you can have it when I die
Thanks, Mark

March 29 2015 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I have cancer and got about 5 years left and ill sell my body to do my bucket list, ,with any info,thanks

January 20 2015 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty Jumper

I am seriously interested in selling a kidney to science. You must respond quickly. First goood offer gets it. Email me at ...

August 10 2014 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
perry ellison

Am Perry Ellison from Nigeria. Ready to sell one of my kidney for $150,000. If
you are interested contact [] OR call me at
+2347033354868, blood type is o+

June 07 2014 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Serious about selling whole body now for science/ after death

January 13 2014 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I would like to sell my body so I will have the money to help fix up the rest of my house and do a few other things

December 13 2013 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply