Need a bigger bathroom but don't have the time or money for complete bathroom remodeling? Then consider small-scale changes that create more room, better storage and a more functional floor plan.
- Smart sinks: Try a pedestal-style or wall-mounted corner sink for functional charm and more floor space, or install a vessel sink mounted on a scaled-down cabinet.
- Toilets with flat tank tops: A flat-top toilet tank gives you another storage spot, whether you place organizers directly on top of it or take advantage of the wall space above for a hanging cabinet or shelving.
Space-saving showers and tubs: A comfy curved quadrant shower enclosure occupies a corner and at least a square foot less of floor space, and smaller tubs with deep-set seating offer a great soak.
Lower-profile faucets and fixtures: Accessorize beautifully as you open up a bathroom's visual space with stylish low-profile designs.
- Converted furnishings: Refurbished stand-alone storage cabinets, small tables converted into carts, and other vintage finds add personality while sequestering linens and toiletries.
- Medicine cabinets: Among of the greatest bathroom space-savers of all time, these are easy to install and can be found in looks ranging from beveled-glass retro to contemporary sleek.
- Towel stowage and storage: If you lack a linen closet or surplus cabinet space, keep things accessible and neat with a multitiered, hotel-style rack near the shower or tub, towel bars mounted on the back of the entry door, or a lineup of handy hooks.
- Wall-mounted radiator/warming rack: You'll enjoy the comfort of radiant heat and the luxury of warm towels with this European-style fixture.
- Shower or tub shelf: Move toiletries out of other storage zones to a rust-proof, easy-to-clean shelf mounted in a shower or just above the edge of a tub.
Tom Kraeutler is the Home Improvement Editor for AOL and co-author of My Home, My Money Pit: Your Guide to Every Home Improvement Adventure. He delivers home remodeling tips each week as host of The Money Pit, a nationally syndicated home improvement radio program.