Buy your way to Heaven! The Catholic Church brings back indulgences

These days, you can get a deal on anything. Even salvation! Pope Benedict has announced that his faithful can once again pay the Catholic Church to ease their way through Purgatory and into the Gates of Heaven.

Never mind that Martin Luther fired up the Reformation because of them: Plenary Indulgences are back.

The New York Times reports that even though the church officially broke with the age-old practice -- you do something good, and the Church will help absolve you -- in 1960, the Pope has quietly reintroduced it. The Catholic Church had technically banned the practice of selling indulgences as long ago as 1567.

As the Times points out, a monetary donation wouldn't go amiss toward earning an indulgence. It writes, "charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one." You can even buy indulgences this way for loved ones who are already dead, greasing their way to Heaven by doing something for the Church here on Earth.

Why would the Catholic Church agree to this reversal? It wouldn't be the harsh economy, would it, or the church's fading influence? Not at all, says a Brooklyn bishop. "Because there is sin in the world," he told the newspaper.

Reformation? What Reformation?

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

taniasangmz

Is it still a traditionin Rome, to throw a trail of money on the earth and put a coin in the deceased persona, to buy their way to heaven?

March 12 2014 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biff Blank

Those who claim that indulgences are no longer part of Church teaching have the admirable desire to distance themselves from abuses that occurred around the time of the Protestant Reformation. They also want to remove stumbling blocks that prevent non-Catholics from taking a positive view of the Church. As admirable as these motives are, the claim that indulgences are not part of Church teaching today is false.

This is proved by the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which states, "An indulgence is obtained through the Church who, by virtue of the power of binding and loosing granted her by Christ Jesus, intervenes in favor of individual Christians and opens for them the treasury of the merits of Christ and the saints to obtain from the Father of mercies the remission of the temporal punishment due for their sins." The Church does this not just to aid Christians, "but also to spur them to works of devotion, penance, and charity" (CCC 1478).

Indulgences are part of the Church’s infallible teaching. This means that no Catholic is at liberty to disbelieve in them. The Council of Trent stated that it "condemns with anathema those who say that indulgences are useless or that the Church does not have the power to grant them"(Trent, session 25, Decree on Indulgences). Trent’s anathema places indulgences in the realm of infallibly defined teaching.

December 11 2013 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biff Blank

There is no purgatory.

December 11 2013 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas Preston

Don't pay the Catholic Church just help the people who need it not who want to be released from their purposely uncorrected BS mankind is practically on its knees but we help others everyday and I come from what the people in my family call a poor family but we have food in our bellies so whatta bout places who don't? Well don't ask me to indulge my way to heaven. I help people because they need it not because I want something in return. Worldly STUFF is what bears the value to scum work and figure out the puzzle for Mankind don't get lazy and ask for all this: $. It is almost like S for Soul when it comes to this crap because symbolically it has already been smitten down the middle so don't make the same mistake, seen or heard of or not.

October 03 2013 at 6:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Sad but it appears the some secular progressive/collectivist are wondering in the desert and willing to accept anything that will support theier ever changing belief systems and condemn one that don't like. They would be well to remember what an old lawyer friend had learned going through life, "A piece of paper will stand still no matter what you write on it." As a 65 year old Catholic I have been never been taught I coud buy my way into heaven and ask any one that thinks the contrary to go to any Catholic Church and discover the truth in what I say. Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

July 04 2012 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Cox

As Chrelsh says EVERY assertion in this article are proven falsehoods...why does this article still see the light of day...oh thats right Catholics are the only folks it is ok to hate and spread lies about....my bad. Its gonna suck being you all in the judgment if you continue to **** on the bride of christ.

May 14 2012 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Cox

The USSR and Commie China are both atheists nations...how many have they killed?

May 14 2012 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christinne

RELIGION - THE MOST LETHAL VIRUS TO HUMANITY

May 14 2012 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
howardtlewisiii

Satan does not have to buy indulgences from the pope. That must hurt.

If they are holding captive that dear lady who tackled the pope while he was doing the Vatican strut across the plaza two Christmases ago. tell the pope that she has a rebate coming whether she made a purchase or not. That was no compulsive evil act. That was a professional football grade tackle that would have made Dick Butkus envious.

May 13 2012 at 11:43 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dave mowers

I was so totally worried about that girl I raped and had to strangle back in 1997 in New Orleans. Now, I can rest easy knowing God and Jesus will forgive me as long as I donate money to a children's fund. I think I'll hedge my bets by giving two donations just in case I ever see a pretty 10 year old again out tempting me by wearing a dress and walking around after dark. Little ***** begging for it.

May 13 2012 at 10:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply