Need painting supplies? Try the dollar store first
byJan 7th 2009 10:00AM
Now that the hustle of the holiday season is behind us, you may be thinking, as I am, of refreshing some of your interior spaces. Before you run over to the local hardware store to get the tools you'll need, let's compare those prices with comparable items from the dollar store. (Please check prices in your area.)
- All-purpose paint brushes -- any size from 1 1/2" to 4" are only $1 each a the dollar store. Home Depot sells a two-piece set of all-purpose brushes that includes 2" and 4" sizes for $5.96.
- Foam paint brushes - A 10 piece set in varying sizes is only a buck at the dollar store. You get three pieces for $1.96 at Home Depot.
- Large paint tray - Buy a sturdy plastic paint tray for a buck at the dollar store or go to Home Depot and spend $7.96.
- Miniature paint trays - Get two reusable plastic mini trays for $1 at the dollar store. Home Depot sells disposable ones for $1.49 each.
- Paint roller handles - Home Depot is selling these plain metal 12" paint roller handles for $4.11 but why waste your money if you can get the exact same thing at your local dollar store for a buck?
- Paint roller refills - Get a set of 3-9 1/2" all paints roller refills for $9.98 at Home Depot or spend only a buck for the same thing at Dollarama.
- 4" foam roller handles - These sell for $5.98 at the Home Depot. Buy a 16" long mini roller handle for $1 at the dollar store. All of the roller handles I saw at Dollarama had threaded ends for attaching to extension poles.
- High-density foam rollers - Get these 4" foam rollers in a 3-pack at the dollar store fo $1 or pay $4.98 at Home Depot and get one extra roller. That's $1.25 per roller as opposed to .33 cents per roller.
- Ceiling and trim paint edger - Get one at the dollar store for a buck or pay $3.98 for the same thing at Home Depot.
- Plastic drop sheet - Dollarama sells these for $1 for a 9' x 12' size. I didn't price these at Home Depot, but you can bet they cost more than $1.
Marlene Alexander is a freelance writer and dollar store diva. She writes ideas and tips for decorating using only items from the dollar store.