All God's children gotta eat, so I headed back to my local dollar store in search of more good food deals to compare with an area supermarket's prices. Please check prices in your neighborhood. I've never caught my dollar store selling stale cookies or otherwise out-of-date food, but always check expiry dates anyway before heading to the cash register.
1. A regular sized bag of Dare Maple Leaf cookies sells for $2.99 at the grocery store. Instead, try Manning Cookie Shop maple leaf creme cookies. The 11-.oz package is only a buck at the dollar store, saving you $1.99 at the check-out.
2. The grocery store sells Added Touch cake or brownie mixes for $1.59. Save 59 cents by buying Loretta Rich 'n Moist Cake or Fudge Brownie mixes for $1. Save 59 cents on each 18.48 oz. box.
3. Fairlee orange juice from concentrate in a 33.81 oz. tetra pack is only $1 at the dollar store as compared to Oasis orange juice in the same size that costs 1.49 at the grocery store.
4. Allen's apple juice in the 33.81 oz. size sells for 1.29 at the grocery store. Save 29 cents by getting Allen's apple juice in the same size at the dollar store.
5. A six-pack of 19.98 oz. bottles of Gatorade costs $6.59 at the grocery store. Save 59 cents by buying six bottles for a buck each at the dollar store.
6. The grocery store in my area regularly sells Kraft Italian salad dressing in the 8.45 oz.. bottle for $2.29. Buying at the dollar store will save you $1.29 off the same size.
7. Save $1.69 on your Hamburger Helper by buying Loretta cheeseburger or lasagna skillet meals at the dollar store for only $1.
8. Lipton Soupworks pouches makes 4 servings and sells for $2.79 at the grocery store. Buying at the dollar store will save you $1.79.
Total savings on these few items would amount to $8.72.
Marlene Alexander is a freelance writer and dollar store diva. She writes decorating tips and ideas using only items from the dollar store.