Tax Tips: The 2007 Child Tax Credit
Jan 14th 2008 12:30PM
Updated Jan 14th 2008 4:29PM
- Be under age 17 at the end of 2007
- Be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, stepbrother, sister, stepsister, or the child of anyone on this list
- Receive over half of their support from you
- Live with you for more than half of 2007
- Be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien.
There are special rules if a child qualifies for more than one person, as in the case of a divorce. There are also special rules for children who don't live with you because of special circumstances such as medical care or living in a juvenile detention facility. See IRS Publication 972 for more details on the Child Tax Credit and for instructions on filing.
Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.